Jun 11, 2008, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812
Ok well if the stock motor is going to get hot on 15tooth that sucks, whats a good alternative here. Anyone try a Hyperion or Scorpion yet? I am looking for 2850-2900 on the head for certain with about 80% tops on ESC govern.
Hi..I've got the Scorpion SCHK3026-1000Kv motor coupled with the 90A Scorpion ESC. See here:
http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i...roducts_id=303
http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i...roducts_id=264

I'm using the 15T pinion, and getting about 2500 rpm headspeed on hover. I am waiting for the 14T pinion to bring the headspeed down to a comfortable level for FFF. BTW, I am using 2 x 3S 2500 mAh lipos
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2008, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted U
It Rocks!

Took mine out for a quick hop tonight...Flies ultra smooth with tons of power.

I have a little tweaking of the VBar to get it flying like I want but overall I am very pleased! Lighter flying than my Trex 500 flybarless. More like my Logo 500 VBar.

1540g for the Protos vs 1775g for my Trex 500! Both with 6S FP EvoLite packs and similar electronics...200g makes a huge difference!

I hope the stock motor runs very hot because mine is like a frying pan after 5 minutes!

I am running a 15T and Jazz 55. Even with the better efficiency of flybarless, this little motor is going to get cooked. My batteries are barely ambient temp.

-Ted
Can u post some pics of your bird please? Am also interested in the flybarless setup
Jun 11, 2008, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrank2005
Hi..I've got the Scorpion SCHK3026-1000Kv motor coupled with the 90A Scorpion ESC. See here:
http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i...roducts_id=303
http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/i...roducts_id=264

I'm using the 15T pinion, and getting about 2500 rpm headspeed on hover.

Throttle setting %? How is the scorpion90A start? Soft or not?
Jun 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uragano47812
Throttle setting %? How is the scorpion90A start? Soft or not?
Throttle setting: 0-20-40-60-85
Very Soft start is the go! Simply excellent!
Jun 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
You should have much higher than 2500 on that setup. I'm using the stock motor with a 15t pinion and I get a tach'd HS of 2810 on 6s with the Jazz governed at 75%.
Jun 11, 2008, 10:02 AM
Corrado,

as for servos what do you recommend for torque, the 82MG are very appealing here in the US price/performance is that enough torque (33.3 Oz @ 6.0V)

BTW just bought mine from Readyheli.com and should be in by Thursday or Friday, may be doing a build video for us A123 users including how to build the packs.

Thanks and I look forward to a great heli
Jun 11, 2008, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryofix
may be doing a build video for us A123 users including how to build the packs.
http://technorati.com/videos/youtube...%3DvkDgoXikI_8

I think it easier using hot glue and soldering the cells together with wire than battery bars. The battery bars require everything to be flat and often the heat gets transferred to the other side that you've just solder.

Add balance leads according to you charger.
Jun 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
Finally got my Protos to flying field. But it was a short test flight..
All kinds of problems:
- Motor not spinning smooth (like losing sync)
- Motor shutting down on itīs own
- Loss of control for up to several seconds

Luckily problems began almost instantly so didnīt even try to lift helicopter up more than half a meter.

Looks like governor mode on that Aligh 75A esc caused most (or all) of the problems. Turned to non governed helicopter mode at home, blades removed, and all seems to be just fine. Motor spins fine, receivers stay on etc..

Friend came to field and took some pictures:
http://mkk.1g.fi/kuvat/rc/jirimsh/
(Copyright Mkk8)
Jun 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryofix
...as for servos what do you recommend for torque, the 82MG are very appealing here in the US price/performance is that enough torque ...
I am using the 82MGs and I am having no problem with them. Actually I think the torque rating on these is pretty high for the speed you are also getting. Anyway they have been holding fine for snakes, funnels, flips/rolls, half piro flips, etc. I have not seen any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriK
...Friend came to field and took some pictures:
http://mkk.1g.fi/kuvat/rc/jirimsh/
(Copyright Mkk8)
Glad you seem to have found your problem. Very nice photos.

-J
Jun 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
MKS 9660 installation...yes they do fit.

EDIT: Just noticed that they are almost the same color and texture as the frame plastic

Wesp
Jun 11, 2008, 04:21 PM
Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoodwin
I have had a look around and everything I can find says we should be running High Timing for motors that have 10 or more poles (Align ESC support up to 10). I am not saying you should... yet. I have changed the timing on my ESC to High and I am going to do a few flight tomorrow and we will see. I will try and make sure my head speed is about the same so that I can have a pretty fair test. I don't have a temperature probe, except the end of my finger. But I do log exactly how long I have flown and how many milliamps goes back each time. So, if I find any improvement I will let you guys know.

-J
Well, I did some testing today (well really just flying and then measuring). I set the ESC to High timing and then tached the headspeed and set it to 2400 where I have been flying.

Running the Align 60a ESC in HIGH timing mode made a noticeable difference in motor temp! It past the 3 second rule. Actually I was able to keep my finger on there for over 7 seconds. The battery was ambient temperature but I did not check the temp of the ESC. It seemed to slightly raised the amp draw, but still need a couple more flights to know for sure.

The helicopter also seemed to perform better and hold headspeed better. This may have just been me, but it did feel like it. I know some ESC allow for timing advances of 7 degrees to 30 degrees for 10 to 14 pole motors. Anybody else want to run their ESC with High timing and let us know your motor temperature results?

-J
Jun 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hello,
For those reading this thread before or as you're building, you can mount the motor to the motor mount outside of the heli, put the motor adapter on, and then fit it back into the heli. It won't fit back in with the pinion on, but fits right in without it.

I received my replacement canopy and swash plate today. Both perfect.

With the belt tensioned, there seems to quite a bit of drag. But, there are reports of good autos, so I'm trusting it will work out fine.

- John
Last edited by JKos; Jun 11, 2008 at 06:43 PM.
Jun 11, 2008, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoodwin
Anybody else want to run their ESC with High timing and let us know your motor temperature results?
3 Flights tonight and got temp readings. 4 min flights.

Align 60A High timing. Straight 100 throttle curve.
66F ambient temp.
2800rpm head speed
Packs 110-120F
ESC 94F

I measured temp. at three different points on the motor.

1. At the top of the motor where there is a opening and could get a temp of the windings. 165F
2. The case (mid motor) 135F
3. Very bottom of the motor 125F

When the ambient temp was 80-85F, I measured the temp after two flights that were about 5-6 mins. apart and got close to 180F.

So now I let the motor completely cool before flying again.
Last edited by 1.5 tesla; Jun 12, 2008 at 09:06 AM.
Jun 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yep, my motor was 160F after 4-5 minutes of light 3D flights. Packs were 110F. I really would like to find a cooler running combo...

The drivetrain is whisper quiet. Just the blades slappin' away.
Jun 11, 2008, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 tesla
3 Flights tonight and got temp readings. 4 min flights.

Align 60A High timing. Straight 100 throttle curve.
66F ambient temp.
1800RPM head speed
Packs 110-120F
ESC 94F

I measured temp. at three different points on the motor.

1. At the top of the motor where there is a opening and could get a temp of the windings. 165F
2. The case (mid motor) 135F
3. Very bottom of the motor 125F

When the ambient temp was 80-85F, I measured the temp after two flights that were about 5-6 mins. apart and got close to 180F.

So now I let the motor completely cool before flying again.
tesla, what pinion or lipo were you using, cus at 100% throttle and your headspeed is only 1800 seems very low.

cheers,