Mar 06, 2010, 07:05 PM
AAces High
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbergmann View Post
On the advice of this group I got a T-28. Started with Supercub and flew all summer. Finally had a nice warm day. I did it! Three successful flights. Even did a few loops. It was great. Just wanted to say thanks. I read a lot of good advice.
Dan
Great to hear Dan!! I'm so glad for you! I really am. There's nothing like a happy pilot with a success story. Just remember altitude is your friend. Practice your maneuvers plenty of mistakes high. Don't do what I did on my third flight. Something I should have known better but thought I knew better.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2010, 08:05 PM

stock amp draw

One stock motor pulls 18 amps, swapped in a friends motor from a crashed T-28 and it pulls 26 amps. Which is correct? The 18 amp motor feels like it can no longer supply full power but has always shown 18 amps prior to the degradation. The swapped motor is up on power but pulling 26 amps, something the original motor never did to get the same power.
Mar 06, 2010, 08:10 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
One stock motor pulls 18 amps, swapped in a friends motor from a crashed T-28 and it pulls 26 amps. Which is correct? The 18 amp motor feels like it can no longer supply full power but has always shown 18 amps prior to the degradation. The swapped motor is up on power but pulling 26 amps, something the original motor never did to get the same power.
18.4A with my PZ 1800 mAH 15C battery fully charged. Does the motor shaft pull froward under load like it's supposed to?
Mar 06, 2010, 08:36 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by reset3x View Post
This is great info Z-8! Thanks for sharing with us. I see you've quite the penchant for the T-28.

Reset
Hey Reset,

The more I thought about your idea to give your first T-28 another life, the more I liked it. My T-28 is worn out. To its credit and my amazement, it still flies great after being hit by two trees, one high voltage power line, endured uncounted perfect landings and I think one bad one during its distinguished service. I took your idea and picked up the Edge 540 ($105) to take my first T-28 to another level.

Seems like a pretty cost effective way to go for two brand new airplanes--great idea, thanks!
Mar 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr View Post
I want to add floats to my T-28. Could somebody post a picture of a T-28 with floats? I'd like to see how everyone else mounted them.
Thanks,Jim
Link to the FLOATS build thread I did. The thing I would have done different is find a way to lower the tail some more. I buried the rear supports as far as I could. Either a creative bend of the rear supports or build something inside the wing to be able to bury it deeper in the wing. With the down thrust of this motor, you will need it to be slightly nose high so it wont pull the nose over in the water. I flew mine on firm snow with success, but on fluffy snow, it wanted to pull the nose down.

TrojFloats
Mar 06, 2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-8 View Post
18.4A with my PZ 1800 mAH 15C battery fully charged. Does the motor shaft pull froward under load like it's supposed to?
Thanks for the reply, it looks like I have 2 bad motors. I just picked up a ST .10 to try out a couple day ago. Looks like the perfect opportunity. How is yours holding up?
Mar 06, 2010, 09:34 PM
Z-8
Z-8
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
Thanks for the reply, it looks like I have 2 bad motors. I just picked up a ST .10 to try out a couple day ago. Looks like the perfect opportunity. How is yours holding up?
Great. I have a lot of flights on it. Keep the CG in check, the motor is light so you'll need a more forward battery. Also a good idea to check the amp draw on the chart and adjust your flight timer proportionately. Good luck.
Mar 06, 2010, 10:34 PM
In the 20' glider range
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
Link to the FLOATS build thread I did. The thing I would have done different is find a way to lower the tail some more. I buried the rear supports as far as I could. Either a creative bend of the rear supports or build something inside the wing to be able to bury it deeper in the wing. With the down thrust of this motor, you will need it to be slightly nose high so it wont pull the nose over in the water. I flew mine on firm snow with success, but on fluffy snow, it wanted to pull the nose down.

TrojanFloats.wmv (2 min 13 sec)
Nice! allthough I must say it just don't look right
Mar 06, 2010, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Nice! allthough I must say it just don't look right
Did you have your head tilted? If you did, it wont look right, you have to have your eyes perfectly level, it will look right then.
Mar 06, 2010, 11:14 PM
In the 20' glider range
Oh HO!!!! now it looks SPECTACULAR!!!!!!
Mar 06, 2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reset3x View Post
I'm on the way to the HS in a bit to get a cowl and motor mount. Everything else I will fix. I'll tear down my new T-28 and store her in her original box and save her for when I'm more comfortable with this plane.

Reset
Great idea.... now the old one has lost it's cherry you'll probably be more relaxed flying it too... and keeping the new one for when you're really comfortable and learnt the tricks to flying it is smart.

Toppers
Mar 06, 2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbergmann View Post
On the advice of this group I got a T-28. Started with Supercub and flew all summer. Finally had a nice warm day. I did it! Three successful flights. Even did a few loops. It was great. Just wanted to say thanks. I read a lot of good advice.
Dan
Congrats... and it just gets better the more you fly the T28. Great plane.
Mar 07, 2010, 12:06 AM
cna91,
Thanks for the link and the video. That looks pretty easy. I was hoping to use the original gear to mount the floats on but that would position the floats quite a bit foreward from where yours are. Maybe I'll get another wing or better yet another complete plane for flying from the grass.
Jim
Mar 07, 2010, 10:28 AM
AAces High
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I wrote a little about it in my blog. I unfortunately didn't get to the HS yesterday so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get my motor mount. I was also thinking about forgoing the cowl and fixing what I have left and making the missing pieces from 2mm Depron.

Reset
Mar 07, 2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr View Post
cna91,
Thanks for the link and the video. That looks pretty easy. I was hoping to use the original gear to mount the floats on but that would position the floats quite a bit foreward from where yours are. Maybe I'll get another wing or better yet another complete plane for flying from the grass.
Jim
Yeah, I did mine on the original wing, and have another wing for regular geared flying.

Quick Reply