Sep 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
For those looking at videoing their flights...I searches around and didn't find much on "hatcams". I tried a FCO2 on the bill of a cap, decent results even though the sun was not out that morning. More light and it would have been better I think. I'm looking at the Sony Webbie for this and for AP on a some planes. So I thought just screw it on. Most all cameras have a 1/4" bolt hole on the bottom for a tripod. I drilled a hole in a cap, added a bolt with some grommets, and it works. I tried it out this morning. Just have to remember to face the camera UP some as my eyes tend to follow the plane up and not my head. I was using a 1.5 year old Nikon Coolpix. Here is a couple pix of the set up. This was a different camera but you get the idea. Just need a snug fit and it didn't bother me at all. It weighs 6.6oz.

Rob
Rob,

Looking good. Simple and effective proposition.

p.s., receiver made it to me yesterday. thanks.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2009, 11:56 AM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Ok, been through this thread a dozen times now. Just want to confirm something...

Just got the Turnigy 3536c 1100kv. I've got some APC props of various sizes coming in the mail, including 11x7. Got a Turnigy sentry 40 amp esc.

My question is, if I use the stock mount and drill two new holes and use the existing holes to mount, I will have to trim the cowl a bit, right? The way it looks, even if I trim the cowl open a bit more, the prop still won't clear the outer edges, is this right? My other question, I know the stock props don't fit on the turnigy adapter, but will the APC props fit without reaming?

Thanks in advance for all the info. Can't wait to give this plane some balls. Been flying it stock for 6 months and I think the stock motor is starting to peter out...
Sep 26, 2009, 12:11 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
Ok, been through this thread a dozen times now. Just want to confirm something...

Just got the Turnigy 3536c 1100kv. I've got some APC props of various sizes coming in the mail, including 11x7. Got a Turnigy sentry 40 amp esc.

My question is, if I use the stock mount and drill two new holes and use the existing holes to mount, I will have to trim the cowl a bit, right? The way it looks, even if I trim the cowl open a bit more, the prop still won't clear the outer edges, is this right? My other question, I know the stock props don't fit on the turnigy adapter, but will the APC props fit without reaming?

Thanks in advance for all the info. Can't wait to give this plane some balls. Been flying it stock for 6 months and I think the stock motor is starting to peter out...
Irg, the 11x7 apc is your sweet prop
If you use the stock mount you DO have to open up the hole in the front, correct. You will also have to push the cowl back about 3/8" and remount it (no problem really)

Yes the apc props fit the Turnigy adapter without any reaming (nice!!!)
You will love the improvement over the stock motor.
F2F
Sep 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg

Prop first. Buy a 4mm collet (headsuprc.com has them) You will need to select the plastic insert from the tree. You will need a reamer to ream out the prop to fit the collet. Ream from the insert side. A real prop reamer has steps, it's not tapered. CA the insert to the prop otherwise it will spin when you ream it out.

Trimming the cowl is a function of the motor mounting scheme you use. I used the Turnigy four poster and the cowl did not have to be trimmed.
Sep 26, 2009, 12:39 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
F2F,
Thanks, the pushing back of the cowl is what I was wondering about. During test fit I could see that even with the center section of the cowl, the outer edges would still be in the way of the prop.

Prof,
Are you saying that I will need to ream out the APC? Or are you talking about if I were to use the stock prop?

Thanks again, to both of you! Waiting on some connectors and then we're going vertical...
Sep 26, 2009, 12:44 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
F2F,
Thanks, the pushing back of the cowl is what I was wondering about. During test fit I could see that even with the center section of the cowl, the outer edges would still be in the way of the prop.

Prof,
Are you saying that I will need to ream out the APC? Or are you talking about if I were to use the stock prop?

Thanks again, to both of you! Waiting on some connectors and then we're going vertical...
Yea the prop will rub on the bottom edge of the cowl if you dont push it back that little bit. No reaming on the apc props on the Turnigy adapter.
Sep 26, 2009, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Yea the prop will rub on the bottom edge of the cowl if you dont push it back that little bit. No reaming on the apc props on the Turnigy adapter.
Which Turnigy adapter? Link please.
Sep 26, 2009, 01:08 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Which Turnigy adapter? Link please.
The one that they send you with the 3536c motor
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5497
Sep 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
The one that they send you with the 3536c motor
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5497
I mount mine with the 4 poster and use a standard collet adapter.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:17 PM
I use APC props with the 35-36C and the adapter that comes with it, no reaming required. The TGS Sport props from Hobby City also fit on there without any additional reaming as they also come with an adapter ring tree.

I leave the cowl off of my T-28 but if you mount it like this photo attached you can just cut out the middle of the cowl.
I tried just drilling additional holes in the stock plastic mount and it got shredded on my Wattmeter test, so I make this ply mount now. I just ordered two more of the 35-36C's I am so impressed with it. I just maidened my home made foamy at 800g with that motor = WOW.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:19 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
I mount mine with the 4 poster and use a standard collet adapter.
Yea I suppose if it works, use it. Myself, using the stuff they give me instead of buying more and not having to ream every prop I install outweighed the install you did. Whatever works eh?

McD, thats the other way I would do it if I wasnt going to use the stock mounts. I like the "weak spot" the stock mounts create. A little safety factor for my motor and firewall.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:36 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
F2F,

I agree, I'm on a shoestring these days so the stock mount it is. I suppose you could argue that going cheap could lead you to spend more money over time, but I think it probably all evens out in the end.

A question, what did you use to drill the hole in the stock mount? Bit diameter?

I have two stock mounts, so I will probably use them up before making a nicer/sturdier mount.
Last edited by Irg; Sep 26, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Sep 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Yea I suppose if it works, use it. Myself, using the stuff they give me instead of buying more and not having to ream every prop I install outweighed the install you did. Whatever works eh?

McD, thats the other way I would do it if I wasnt going to use the stock mounts. I like the "weak spot" the stock mounts create. A little safety factor for my motor and firewall.
Hehe, yeah the stock mounts, annoying as they are, do break for a good reason. I have been lucky enough not to crash my T-28 with that ply mount.
/knocks on wood!

I have crashed a few foamies with it though, and once a nose dive from forty feet due to a brown-out and it does break before the motor at least hehe.
Sep 26, 2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Rob,

Looking good. Simple and effective proposition.

p.s., receiver made it to me yesterday. thanks.

Bill
Your welcome! How about that nice packing job!!

USed the hatcam several more times this morning. Got the looks but it works fine. Might try the zoom (3x) but I might lose the plane. Its fun to revied the flights when you get home.
Rob
Sep 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake
I have just received this very set of shock absoabing landing gear!

the shafts are aluminium and the mounts are plastic.
There not to smooth when you get them so I put a bit of oil in the shafts which has helped.

its easy mounting the gears on the wings, the nose gear is another story.

Wonder if you can get by without the nose gear. On mine all the bouce comes from hitting the rear gear first.

Quick Reply