Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:47 PM
PittSpecial is offline
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
PittSpecial's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
Hello T-28ers! This is my first post so I thought I'd include a picture. Blue Rocket was created from the electrical component remains of Red Rocket after a mid air collision. She's my favorite of my collection.
Welcome TrojanMan!

Nice T-28 and other models you have there!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:13 PM
JayY is offline
Find More Posts by JayY
Foam Temple Pilot
JayY's Avatar

Wing skids, which size?


Because I fly from fields that aren't always mowed short, and because I like the retracted look, I'd like to hand launch and belly land my T-28. Are any of you doing same? If so, do you have wing skids mounted to protect the aileron servos and control horns in the event of having one wing low while landing? If I were to install wing skids, which size would you recommend? Dubro makes them in 1-1/4", 2", and 2- 3/8" lengths, but it's unclear how far they stand off the surface. The aileron servo control arms stand off about 1/2" (13 mm) and the aileron control horns stand off about 3/4" (19 mm).

Any other advice you can provide for hand launches and belly landings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:38 PM
Bugbitten is offline
Find More Posts by Bugbitten
Registered User
These work great.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
BrownEyedFool is offline
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
http://flitetest.com/articles/custom...lling-retracts

I'm in the midst of reconstructing my Trojan after an unfortunate nose in scenario broke the nose off between the firewall and the removable canopy. Current debate is using CF or toothpicks to reinforce the joint. Toothpicks go in easily and are stout. My CF stock is mostly small stuff like 1.2mm, not sure if that'll be sturdy enough, and I've heard so much about health hazards of CF lately I get paranoid even cutting with snips.

Beacon foam tac is looking like a miracle glue thus far, it's firmed up several weakened tears within minutes.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:48 PM
geewow is offline
Find More Posts by geewow
Registered User
My T28 is back or the top of the roster. I liked it right out of the box when I bought it a year ago.
Then did flaps and extended the ailerons by an inch on each side and really liked it. Enhanced my elevator by borrowing some material from the horizontal stab and it was a sporty performer.
Bought a few 3d capable planes and the t28 sat for awhile.
Had a Hacker a30-16m motor and a 40amp esc, put em in the Trojan and got to fly it today with a 10x7 prop. Whooaaaa, now its back on top! Unlimited verticle and having the extra inch on the prop blowing more air over the modded surfaces and its like a whole new plane.
Quite an exciting little park flyer!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:11 PM
Realms is offline
Find More Posts by Realms
Family, Work, FPV!
Realms's Avatar
10x7 FTW!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:12 PM
TrojanMan is offline
Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
http://flitetest.com/articles/custom...lling-retracts

I'm in the midst of reconstructing my Trojan after an unfortunate nose in scenario broke the nose off between the firewall and the removable canopy. Current debate is using CF or toothpicks to reinforce the joint. Toothpicks go in easily and are stout. My CF stock is mostly small stuff like 1.2mm, not sure if that'll be sturdy enough, and I've heard so much about health hazards of CF lately I get paranoid even cutting with snips.

Beacon foam tac is looking like a miracle glue thus far, it's firmed up several weakened tears within minutes.
Thanks for posting this link. I may have to do this someday!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:08 AM
walter3rd is offline
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
walter3rd's Avatar
dacula, you can measure twice and cut a small amount of foam in the correct area to fit different size batteries in her. i have done this with success. BUT what i find works great is a small amount of velcro in the rear corner of the battery to match a small bit of velcro on the plane. just enough to keep her from sliding but not enough that you struggle to change batteries. works great. my contact area is no bigger than 1/2 inch squared if that. its just nice insurance. nothing like a moving battery to make your flight turn ugly!.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:27 AM
Left Coast DJ is offline
Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Converting O2 to CO2
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
Because I fly from fields that aren't always mowed short, and because I like the retracted look, I'd like to hand launch and belly land my T-28. Are any of you doing same?
Jay, I've been hand-launching and belly landing for a while now. The plus is that it flies great, I think much better than with wheels. The negative is that, as with all belly-landers, over time the airframe will take a beating.

I added skids on the wing tips and big skids in front of the ailerons to protect the servos. You need them to be big enough so when you test your T-28 on the floor, the skids hit the floor and not the servo horn.

Cover the bottom of the plane with Scotch Extreme tape. The cowl area needs a few layers.

Launch under-handed. Your T-28 will fly away with just a gentle under-handed toss.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:15 AM
BrownEyedFool is offline
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
dacula, you can measure twice and cut a small amount of foam in the correct area to fit different size batteries in her. i have done this with success. BUT what i find works great is a small amount of velcro in the rear corner of the battery to match a small bit of velcro on the plane. just enough to keep her from sliding but not enough that you struggle to change batteries. works great. my contact area is no bigger than 1/2 inch squared if that. its just nice insurance. nothing like a moving battery to make your flight turn ugly!.
The moving battery is why mine's in pieces right now. Had a small balsa tray in the plane bridging over the tunnel where the nose wheel pushrod comes up through. It has slots and a Velcro tie down strap to hold the battery in place but the lipo has no Velcro on it.

Had a new headsuprc motor on it heavier than stock and the moment it took off it was violently tail heavy. Best we can figure the lipo slid rearwards on the application of elevator and then it was a battle to try and get it down with as little damage as possible.

Have a new fuse and wing but I'm going to repair this and master it before moving the guts into the clean airframe. Also snagged another used Trojan that needs some love this weekend, more Trojans are good.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:16 AM
BrownEyedFool is offline
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
BrownEyedFool's Avatar
DJ I've seen how much tape you can put on a Trojan before lol. Oy vey.

The man likes lots of tape on a Trojan.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:07 PM
JayY is offline
Find More Posts by JayY
Foam Temple Pilot
JayY's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Jay, I've been hand-launching and belly landing for a while now. The plus is that it flies great, I think much better than with wheels. The negative is that, as with all belly-landers, over time the airframe will take a beating.

I added skids on the wing tips and big skids in front of the ailerons to protect the servos. You need them to be big enough so when you test your T-28 on the floor, the skids hit the floor and not the servo horn.

Cover the bottom of the plane with Scotch Extreme tape. The cowl area needs a few layers.

Launch under-handed. Your T-28 will fly away with just a gentle under-handed toss.
Thanks for the advice, DJ.

I've ordered several different sizes of skids and will get them mounted before I try to belly land. A question about the big skids in front of the ailerons that you mentioned. Do you mean in front of the aileron servos, near the leading edge of the wing? Or do you mean just in front of the ailerons, which is behind the aileron servos?

I've already covered the bottom of the plane with Extreme tape, I may add another layer to the cowl area. There are a few small creases in the tape because of the curves, but overall it looks good.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
dacula is offline
Find More Posts by dacula
Registered User
dacula's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
dacula, you can measure twice and cut a small amount of foam in the correct area to fit different size batteries in her. i have done this with success. BUT what i find works great is a small amount of velcro in the rear corner of the battery to match a small bit of velcro on the plane. just enough to keep her from sliding but not enough that you struggle to change batteries. works great. my contact area is no bigger than 1/2 inch squared if that. its just nice insurance. nothing like a moving battery to make your flight turn ugly!.
Thank you so much for the advice and warning. I'm sure I'd have just cut the foam and left the battery "loose". Now I know better!!!! I've gotta few small squares of velcro that will be perfect.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:43 PM
walter3rd is offline
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
walter3rd's Avatar
glad to help. im pretty new here but learning fast and happy to pass on what i know works from personal experience. patiently waiting to maiden my thunderbolt! maybe this saturday.... maybe... fingers crossed.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:04 PM
rdcskkrose is offline
Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
TEAM HILLBILLY
rdcskkrose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacula View Post
Edit and Question: When I said stock batteries, I should have said 2200mah 30c from hobbyking... i've got 8. I had a hard time getting the canopy on because of the battery size, and used a rubber band that really didn't work all that well. Are people just cutting some of the foam for a better fit? Also, should I be using a different prop, or could I use a different prop and what would be the advantage? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes, by all means chop the foam on the canopy. It's made to help keep the stock POS battery in place.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone T-28 Trojan RTF Review Jim Walker Electric Warbirds 893 Oct 31, 2016 01:25 AM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 05:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Trojan Thread Edge767 Parkflyers 6527 Jun 04, 2008 06:29 AM
Sold Parkzone T-28 Trojan, 480 960kv Motors (2) Joe in Dublin Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Jan 17, 2008 02:34 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28 Trojan webejpn01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 25, 2007 03:48 PM