Jan 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
Are you sure your ailerons aren't reversed on the new TX. I know mine were when I moved my PZ T-28 Trojan from my Spektrum DX6i to my new DX7s. Did you even do a ground check? We had a new guy out at the field last week and even though he did a ground check on his new plane, he didn't notice that the ailerons were reversed. The result, exactly like you described.
I did same before. Think it some form of cognitive dissonance. You see it, but don't want to believe it and you null it out.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningmovies
I got a BNF T-28 in October and had DX5e remote that I got to use with a Super Cub. Setting up the remote for the T-28 out of the box both plane and remote work perfectly. For Christmas I decided I wanted a remote that I could bind both my T-28 and my Super Cub too so I picked up a DX6i off Amazon. I binded both planes to the remote and everything on the ground seemed to work fine. I took my Super Cub out and it flew just fine once I trimed it out, it did seem a little sluggish (I figured it was because I had been flying the T-28 and was used to that) but flew fine. So I went to fly the T-28 and less then a second after takeoff the plane began and uncommanded left aileron roll and hit the ground, doing a fair bit of damage. I figured it was something I did or the trim was way off, so I fixed the plane, set some trim to counter the roll and went out to fly it again. The same thing happen less then a second off the ground and it had rolled to the left, no slower then the first time cause another crash. Now what I dont under stand is that the plane worked fine with my old controller and just changing controller seem to do this. The Super Cub works ok with the new controller but not the T-28, so I am left with a question is it with the plane or the controller, has anyone heard of anything like this or has anything that may help me?
Thank you for your time.
You need to reverse your aileron servos in the TX for T-28.
Jan 22, 2013, 05:11 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY
thats true.. but if he didnt touch the reverse options.. the super cub should be the same
I disagree!
The cub will have only a single servo in the aileron channel operating the rudder.
The T28 has the two servos connected via the Y link and it depends how they have been connected.
Simply reverse the aileron channel at the Tx. I had to do this with my T28.
Last edited by Chompwat; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Jan 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
Ok well I put the T-28 part together to test if the aileron servos where backwards and it seem that is the case. Also check my DX5e and noticed even on there the aileron servos are reversed. I also checked the Cub control and they were right so its just the T-28. I order the parts(including new servos), will fix it and try again. Feel a bit silly for missing that. I thank you for your help.
Jan 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
Told ya.
Jan 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Philippians 4:13
Don't feel bad! When the t-28 first came out I pre-ordered one and waited and waited and waited just like a million other people did for this plane. Man! it was the newest and biggest thing to RC at that time becuase it really was the first ZFoam warbird (I believe that is correct) and everyone was super excited about it. Well, I hadn't flown anything but the Super Cub (original one with NiCd battery) before this plane and I was ready for 4 channels. Well, I assumed that all control surfaces would have been set up correctly from the factory so I plugged the battery in and took off. Ailerons were reversed and my long awaited first flight ended very quickly atop a 70ft cottonwood tree. Horizon Hobby replaced my plane for free because of the reversed ailerons (I was lucky.) I still feel stupid for not checking the control surfaces before that first flight :-)
Jan 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningmovies
Ok well I put the T-28 part together to test if the aileron servos where backwards and it seem that is the case. Also check my DX5e and noticed even on there the aileron servos are reversed. I also checked the Cub control and they were right so its just the T-28. I order the parts(including new servos), will fix it and try again. Feel a bit silly for missing that. I thank you for your help.
I am not understanding. This is not t-28 reversing error AFAICT. Just keeping it real and not placing blame on the plane or manual. The step of putting the wing on and hooking up the aileron servos is quite clear IMHO (unless the manual was changed after the fact).

6. Inside the fuselage, connect both aileron servo
connectors to the aileron Y-harness. There is no
difference between the two connections on a Yharness.
Left and right servo connectors do not have
to be connected to a particular side of a Y-harness.

7. When needed, disassemble in reverse order.

There is also a clear control direction test with pictures on page 9. Doing this on the bench before field is import step before field in all planes.

That said, never assume a "normal" with any plane. It all depends on servo install direction, control linkage setup and TX setup. Hitting rev (or normal) on tx to get controls right is just a normal setup step for all control surfaces. I just had to do with Radian as well in addition to moving rudder over to ailerion for right stick control. I suppose with a non-computer radio this is more of an issue as you may have to switch back and forth depending on model - which could be a real drag. Long live the computer radio and per model setups!
Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
I need new skis for my Trojan. The Parkflyer skis cracks in the cold. And the only I can find here now is the large Dubro skis. I wonder if they will be to heavy for the Trojan? 156 Gram or 5,5 OZ.
Jan 23, 2013, 03:09 AM
wjs
wjs
William
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu
I need new skis for my Trojan. The Parkflyer skis cracks in the cold. And the only I can find here now is the large Dubro skis. I wonder if they will be to heavy for the Trojan? 156 Gram or 5,5 OZ.
Are not the parkflyer skis also made by Dubro? Mine are. So I would guess same material. Maybe use straping tape on botton to add some strength?
Jan 23, 2013, 03:21 AM
I tried tape too. But one reason is also I need more landing training on my Trojan. I have a bad tendency to land n the nose wheel. It's my first trike, and the nose wheel disturb me in some way. Already repaired with epoxy.
I don't know why, I use to land my taildraggers nicely.
Jan 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
They call me Lipo...
That's okay Arne...don't worry !

Just try to flare a little more than you're used to...I fly both tail-draggers and tricycle gear models, and the tail-draggers can come in pretty much level, then just slowly chop the power and let the tail settle...not so with a trike. Gotta come in flying on the prop with a fairly high AoA and flare right at touch down. The trick is to set her on the mains first, then let the nose settle....exactly opposite of a tail-dragger.

You'll get the hang of it....just takes practice ! Heck, that's half the fun !

Cheers and happy landings,
John
Jan 23, 2013, 09:25 AM

New stock motor design (PKZ4416?)

Hey all - a quick heads up, as I haven't seen this before.

When I went to replace my slightly bent motor shaft, I found it the original to be held into the motor using injected plastic filler/rivets rather than set screws. I was able to drill it out and tap for set screws, but it sure seemed odd to have to do that, and so I called Horizon Hobby to ask about it. The rep agreed that this was a recent and curiously unfortunate design change, and offered to send me a 'new' motor. (Wow! Thanks HH!)

I just opened the box, and not only is it a 'new' motor to me, it seems to be a new revision entirely... it has a metal housing! I haven't run it yet, but it sure feels nicer. It's still labeled PKZ4416... perhaps we'll soon see it trickle into stores and new airframes as the new standard?
Last edited by Aerocowboy; Jan 23, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Jan 23, 2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
That's okay Arne...don't worry !

Just try to flare a little more than you're used to...I fly both tail-draggers and tricycle gear models, and the tail-draggers can come in pretty much level, then just slowly chop the power and let the tail settle...not so with a trike. Gotta come in flying on the prop with a fairly high AoA and flare right at touch down. The trick is to set her on the mains first, then let the nose settle....exactly opposite of a tail-dragger.

You'll get the hang of it....just takes practice ! Heck, that's half the fun !

Cheers and happy landings,

John
That is the problem, I come in to slow. And its easy to damage the nose wheel and the plastic around. But practice is the only way to learn, and I will have a friend to guide me down a couple of times, to unlearn bad habits. What is AoA?
Jan 23, 2013, 02:00 PM
wjs
wjs
William
Wonder if anyone has tried these T-28 floats in the snow?

http://www.seaplanesupply.com/electric.htm
Jan 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
They call me Lipo...
Angle of Attack; it's the angle of the wing in relation to the flow of air over it's surface. To simplify things, the more "upwards" of an angle is considered a higher AoA. Again, to keep things simple, the higher AoA, provided you have enough throttle, but not so much that you're now climbing, will provide more lift due to the wing's shape and the disturbed air traveling over the top side of the airfoil. You'll notice most tricycle gear aircraft come in at a fairly high AoA in order to set down on the mains first. It's really noticeable on airliners, which are coming in slightly nose-high during the landing approach. That nose-high attitude demonstrates a high or higher AoA than level flight.

I hope this helps !

John

Quick Reply