Oct 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Novice in training
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY
im upgrading mine with G10 from hobbyking... vertical power baby
Don't get overly excited. I had one in mine and while it did a good job it wasn't all that. Mine only lasted about 30-40 flights before it burnt up and would only run when it wanted to then quit all together. Might of just been a dud, but I'm staying away from them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjones
I bought the Power Up 15 from Headsup a couple weeks back, but lost my plane due to some radio issues (for those who didnt read it, full throttle into the ground after signal loss of flying inverted) so I have yet to try it. Pretty much the only thing that I was able to salvage out of it was the servos, landing gear, esc, and prop. Everything else I have had to order. I guess I could just say I built a new Trojan
If you do rebuild it I would be interested in the performance of it. The specs look promising and I would of gotten it for mine had I not already bought the Emax for an Extra 300. Crashed the Extra and just salvaged the parts for my Trojan. Extra wasn't worth keeping anyway.
Last edited by JoshB; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 05:56 AM
Novice in training
Delete. Double post.
Oct 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
I am waiting on my receivers to get in and a horizontal stabilizer from Ebay. Turns out that RedRocketHobbies had them on backorder and didn't notify me. Oh well, the extra couple of days won't be much of an issue. I wish the USA warehouse stocked the OrangeRx's!!
Oct 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Quote:
I am waiting on my receivers to get in and a horizontal stabilizer from Ebay. Turns out that RedRocketHobbies had them on backorder and didn't notify me. Oh well, the extra couple of days won't be much of an issue. I wish the USA warehouse stocked the OrangeRx's!!
I've had good and bad luck with the OrangeRx's, even with the satellite receiver. I had one that would randomly lose its bind, with the model on the bench. Luckily it never made it into the air. My first T28 crash was caused by a loss of signal when I was flying two mistakes high. It travelled quite a distance and struck a house off-range.

Since then I've ponied up for full range Spektrum receivers for my aircraft. (OrangeRX go into scale boats). I have never had an issue with them.

Others swear by Orange, and curse Spektrum. I only offer my personal experience. I know a $7.99 receiver seems like a pretty good deal, but if you lose even one $200.00 plane, is it worth it?
Oct 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
I just want to go fly!
i was a bit nervous hearing about reciever issues as well, but so far so good. mine came with a 600spektrum installed. working great so far.
Last edited by walter3rd; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Oct 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGinCanada
I've had good and bad luck with the OrangeRx's, even with the satellite receiver. I had one that would randomly lose its bind, with the model on the bench. Luckily it never made it into the air. My first T28 crash was caused by a loss of signal when I was flying two mistakes high. It travelled quite a distance and struck a house off-range.

Since then I've ponied up for full range Spektrum receivers for my aircraft. (OrangeRX go into scale boats). I have never had an issue with them.

Others swear by Orange, and curse Spektrum. I only offer my personal experience. I know a $7.99 receiver seems like a pretty good deal, but if you lose even one $200.00 plane, is it worth it?
RGinCanada, I appreciate the feedback. I am planning on extensively testing the receiver before I fly the plane, especially since I have already crashed the plane due to a bad rx. As I understand it, I thought the ar500 was supposed to be a full range receiver? I too was flying at least two mistakes high and all I could do was stand and stare while the plane dove towards the ground...

Without starting a "flame HH war", I am just trying out the OrangeRX with an open mind. If they suck, then I learned my lesson, otherwise I think it's a great deal. Also, I was a little bummed that HH was unwilling to even take a look at my rx and instead told me I was out of luck.

Anyways, will update once I get all my parts in and get to fly (or would this technically be a maiden since I have virtually all new parts? ) my Trojan.

Do any of you guys packing tape the leading edges of the wing to protect them from dents like some of the Super Cub guys do?
Oct 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Quote:
Do any of you guys packing tape the leading edges of the wing to protect them from dents like some of the Super Cub guys do?
I did, and it helps keep a clean leading edge.
Oct 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
I use orange rx a few scratchbuilts and have never had a problem with them, My t28 came with an AR-600 which Ive never had a problem with either. Packing tape along the leading edges works really nice, it may be the only part of my plane that isnt dinged up . I also put a bit on the bottom of the wings right at the tips, my nose wheel is a bit squirrely if I land hot and it protects the tips from wing scrapes.
Oct 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Novice in training
Quote:
RGinCanada, I appreciate the feedback. I am planning on extensively testing the receiver before I fly the plane, especially since I have already crashed the plane due to a bad rx. As I understand it, I thought the ar500 was supposed to be a full range receiver? I too was flying at least two mistakes high and all I could do was stand and stare while the plane dove towards the ground...

Without starting a "flame HH war", I am just trying out the OrangeRX with an open mind. If they suck, then I learned my lesson, otherwise I think it's a great deal. Also, I was a little bummed that HH was unwilling to even take a look at my rx and instead told me I was out of luck.

Anyways, will update once I get all my parts in and get to fly (or would this technically be a maiden since I have virtually all new parts? ) my Trojan.

I run the Orange with sat in my T28. Never had an issue with it, but like said above some have. Electronics can fail no matter what the name brand. As far as the packing tape, yes I have it on all my foamies. Works great. Only issue I have ever had with it was this week when I crashed my T28. The tape held the wing together instead of letting it rip off cleanly and caused it to tear down the wing instead of straight back like it usually would. The straight tears can usually be fixed, but it warped it so bad there is no fixing it. So it has it's pluses and minuses, but more pluses I would say.
Oct 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
I just want to go fly!
i added a thin stip of white duct tape along both leading edges of the wings and it totally disapears visually. that was the plan.
Oct 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Cool, thanks guys. Maybe I will work on the Trojan a bit more tonight. I really am almost done, just need the RX, horizontal stabilizer, and then trim everything in order to go out and fly. I am quite anxious to see how its going to perform with the new motor...
Oct 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
Tinkerer in Training
The AR600 is listed as a full range receiver, I forked over an extra $20 for the AR6210 that includes a satellite receiver.

I haven't yet had a link issue with this RX.

On second thought, I actually do still have an OrangeRX (with satellite) in my Bixler. I love the plane, but it just isn't worth upgrading the receiver.
Oct 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
[QUOTE=RGinCanada;23038134]I forked over an extra $20 for the AR6210 that includes a satellite receiver. I haven't yet had a link issue with this RX.[QUOTE]

I agree.

If your gonna be in this hobby for a while, don't skimp on the important stuff. Batteries and motors being the exception. IMO. I have stuff that I started out with in a foamy and did not hesitate moving that stuff into balsa airframes 'cause it was still good stuff.

If you follow the classifieds here on RCG, you can find good stuff there for reasonable $$.
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Oct 18, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Oct 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Well... Mine flyes with an AR400 like my apprentice... Cheap for a spektum rx and really do the job as a full rangr receiver...... And sometimes when im doing stupid things with my trojan i get it really high... No problem at all... I guess its a matter of what are you confortable with and vice-versa.... I just think to my self everytime i see the orange rx at hk "might be good.... But im gonna be flying afraid of loosing signal and its not going to be fun anymore" like somebody said before, all the electronic fails... And you can bet on it... Lost signal fpr the first time in my life with my ar500 on the apprentice.... I was lucky it crashed full speed on a tree and only minor blemishes thanks god... That was after almost two years of use.... Never find out what happened... Tried all moving surfaces and motor. And everything worked fine even though i had the crash.... Just replaced it with the new ar400 and boom... Everything good again....
Oct 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB
Don't get overly excited. I had one in mine and while it did a good job it wasn't all that. Mine only lasted about 30-40 flights before it burnt up and would only run when it wanted to then quit all together. Might of just been a dud, but I'm staying away from them now.

If you do rebuild it I would be interested in the performance of it. The specs look promising and I would of gotten it for mine had I not already bought the Emax for an Extra 300. Crashed the Extra and just salvaged the parts for my Trojan. Extra wasn't worth keeping anyway.

Yeap.. Thanks fpr the heads up... Hopefuly yours was a dud.... I have the park 480 g25 and now the g10... It gave you nice vertical power right?

Quick Reply