Nov 29, 2010, 08:34 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmRen View Post
Great thread, very informative. I too, am part of the T-28 fleet and have the grey Air Force version. Maiden Flight was last week, upgraded my motor to a 1020KV 480 Alpha series motor and LOVE IT!!!!
To help orientation, I am converting it to a Navy look, all grey, except edges of the wings, elevator, rudder will be yellow. The cowl will be black/yellow. Since my T-28 already has a grey/blue airframe, I am hoping for easy coating, but what about the yellow on the wing edges? Any final recommendations when it comes to paint? I def. want to use spray cans such as ModelMaster, Tamiya, etc. but I've seen mixed results. Some, even when using black, the foam appearance is still there. Anybody know what could make the T-28 look more scale-like? I attached a pic of what I am going for. Thanks!!
From experience anything gray is very hard too see. No reflections in the sun as grey is almost blue, Clouds, The grey color blends into the clouds. But good luck.

The paint your looking for is: Krylon Fusion for plastics, only availabe in this area at Walmart.

Ron
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Nov 29, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Ron. You must have missed my later post. I know about Krylon Fusion, I was just wondering if I can use the Krylon short cuts as well, or ONLY Fusion for plastic. Also, by "Walmart in this area" I assume you mean your area? Our Walmart does not carry it at all. Sears is the way to go in Southern Cali for Krylon Aerosols
Nov 29, 2010, 08:58 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmRen View Post
It does look great FIXX!! Home Depot in California does not sell Krylon short cuts...LOL. Oh well, SEARS has it, too. Can I use the short cuts for the cowl, or do I need the Krylon Fusion specifically for plastic?
Thanks Zack and EmRen,
Yea I was gonna mention that H Depot doesnt carry much in the paint dept that you want to use on foam. Like Ron mentioned, Walmart, as much as I hate to support them, does carry the Fusion. You can use the Fusion on the foam and the cowling. The black on the nose is actually a gloss (brush on) water based acrylic craft paint from Michaels craft store but they have that at the Walmart also. Another place to get the Krylon Fusion is Ace Hardware or True Value. Its a dollar or so more a can but usually a better selection of colors. I use fusion on my fixxinstands that I market as well (shameless plug for me)
Last edited by FIXXIN2FLY; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Nov 29, 2010, 11:40 PM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
That works well too, and I use it to secure my wings to fuse as extra strength but hot glue adds weight fast.
Yes it does! One of my planes is nick named "Flying Glue Stick"

Now that's funny.

I fly, I crash (use to be a lot), I got Hot Melt Glue!
Nov 30, 2010, 12:29 AM
Bustin' foamies is my hobby
Hey fellow fliers just upgraded to the larger T-28D from the um T-28 and the PZ Stinson Reliant. So far not going that well. Two flights and two crashes though not severe. On the first, I had a great takeoff and was doing fine until I pulled a boneheaded move by flying right into the sun. Was blinded and lost sight long enough to go out of control and was unable to recover by the time I regained sight. Not a bad crash, mostly just busted up the cowling.

Went back out today and landed short hitting the grass instead of the pavement and wound up ripping both landing gear out of the wings. Not a tough fix but still frustrating.

Many said the T-28d was easier to fly with than the Stinson which I started with, but so far I seem to be finding the T-28 harder to fly. In fact the reason I went with the Stinson as my first plane was because I figured a low wing warbird would be harder to start on than a high wing plane. I got the um T-28 and mastered it easily. Now I'm finding I'm finding this plane really difficult to fly for some reason.

Anybody else have similar experience?
Nov 30, 2010, 12:33 AM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYlawyer View Post
Hey fellow fliers just upgraded to the larger T-28D from the um T-28 and the PZ Stinson Reliant. So far not going that well. Two flights and two crashes though not severe. On the first, I had a great takeoff and was doing fine until I pulled a boneheaded move by flying right into the sun. Was blinded and lost sight long enough to go out of control and was unable to recover by the time I regained sight. Not a bad crash, mostly just busted up the cowling.

Went back out today and landed short hitting the grass instead of the pavement and wound up ripping both landing gear out of the wings. Not a tough fix but still frustrating.

Many said the T-28d was easier to fly with than the Stinson which I started with, but so far I seem to be finding the T-28 harder to fly. In fact the reason I went with the Stinson as my first plane was because I figured a low wing warbird would be harder to start on than a high wing plane. I got the um T-28 and mastered it easily. Now I'm finding I'm finding this plane really difficult to fly for some reason.

Lawyer,
What tx are you using and how much throw do you have on the controls. I dont think its harder to fly, maybe just a bit more speed to get accustomed to?
Nov 30, 2010, 12:35 AM
Soon to be CrashMasterPhil
Quote:

Yes, the gear will fall off. It's just isn't glued on very well. Get the silicone scrapped off and use low temp hot melt or gorilla glue.
Nov 30, 2010, 01:15 AM
KY, i started with the T-28 and crashed it a couple of times, so i put it on the shelf and practiced on the sim for a couple of weeks then went back out and tried again, this time it took half a dozen more flights before i crashed it, this time i was flying with 2 other people and looked at one of their planes as it went by haha yep lost control of mine, another lesson learned, back to the glue board and this time a new ESC and i was flying again, still haven't crashed it since then

one thing i did wrong as a learner was went too fast and then everything that happens happens sooo fast hahaha this plane flies slow too, just don't fly too slow or your stall i do slow fly byes just like i do with my micros

i slowed down a bit and just concentrated on doing circuits and then practicing landing and takeoff, on take off i apply the throttle "Slowly" then as it begins to lift i open her up near full, as soon as i have a few mistakes high i throttle back and start a turn to keep her close in and under control

as said i have not had too much trouble now for quiet a while, fingers crossed i also fly my micros anytime i can as i believe these teach you heaps as well, in fact when i fly my T-28 and others now i just think these are no different than the micro, "Just Fly"

cheers chuck
Nov 30, 2010, 03:55 AM
Retired
Might be a good idea to beef up the front gear section, before you have to fix. Plenty of advise on that here. Double check that your linkage's are set on the correct holes for min travel. Agree with above post get up in the air and slow it down a bit. Practice simple flying and then low speed fly by's to help you get decent landings. This plane will really crawl by once you get used to it. Good luck.
Nov 30, 2010, 04:43 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
My son crashed his Trojan this weekend. Should I use Foam safe CA or reg CA? Some of the parts are small so I will use both Epoxy and CA.
Gorilla Glues are great for mending planes...

Brown gorilla glue for gap filling... just add a little water and the glue expands, when dry can be sanded down so its flush.

White Gorilla Glue is good for gluing smaller parts. and can also expand with a little water if needed.
Nov 30, 2010, 08:12 AM
It's just a plane.
Quote:
I'm with you on this one. I have the UM Champ, T-28 and F4F Wildcat. While I like flying the T-28 I don't love flying it like I love flying the Champ and the Wildcat. My biggest issue is with the front landing gear (fly from grass airfield). I've worked very hard to get smooth landings and I ripped it out again this past weekend and this was after I spent a couple of hours fitting and expoxing in a light ply support behind the landing gear mount. I've just removed the landing gear and will fly it as a belly flopper from now on.

What I have been doing is play the how slow can you go game with it and that's helping. What I do is fly a circuit around the airfield a 3/4 throttle and then start notching it back with each pass to see just how slow I can fly it. I also have my TX (DX6i) setup with dual rates. I use 70% throws with 25% expo on low rates and 100% throws and 25% expo on high rates. These settings along with making very small stick inputs really helps me fly her better.

Because she's not my favorite plane I'm going to use her to learn aerobatics with. I've started working on inverted flight on the sim as well as the flying field. I figure since she's not my favorite I won't be as upset if I crash her.
Nov 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Capitalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Walmart, as much as I hate to support them,
Wht would you hate the nations largest employer?? Let me guess, the only pay there employees $10 hr, and the benefits suck??

Oh, your stands that you build---AWESOME!!!!!
Nov 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
Wannabe Flyer
okay guys i searched this thread for ways on how to enforce the front langing gear i heard something abou home depots paint sticks but can't find help me pls
Nov 30, 2010, 12:11 PM
It's just a plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGP51LOVE View Post
okay guys i searched this thread for ways on how to enforce the front langing gear i heard something abou home depots paint sticks but can't find help me pls
What I did, which didn't work afterall is to cut a small piece of wood -- a paint stick from home depot is about the right size to start with. Then I cut out some of the foam behind the front landing gear and epoxied the wood to the back of the plastic. Then, and this is probably where I screwed up, I filled in the hole between the wood and foam with Gorillia Glue. I guess in hindsight I should have filled that area in with another piece of wood so that there's no give at all.

If someone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them as I'm getting sick and tired of trying to fix this. Yes, I know be a better pilot and don't land so hard will fix the problem but I'm still a noob .
Nov 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Flyer
dosn't matter how good you are if youre flying on grass so youre saying thers nothing to fix it?

Quick Reply