Jan 19, 2003, 03:17 AM
Travelling into the future
Thread OP

Remove CA from covering?

I bought a new bottle of CA, and it tends to squirt all over the place. While I was assembling my tiny I managed to glue my finger to the covering.

I got my finger off but some of the CA remains. Any tips as to what I can use to remove it? It has tarnished my covering job.

The covering is ultracote.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2003, 05:11 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Dunk a Q-tip in acetone and gently rub on the CA spot. Be sure to test this on a scrap piece of U.C. first (I'm not sure if it's acetone 'proof').

Regards,
Roger
Jan 19, 2003, 10:18 AM
You could also try fingernail polish remover (active ingredant acetone) might be easier to get ahold of
Jan 19, 2003, 10:38 AM
I've used the acetone on Ultracote and Monokote. Use the qtip and don't saturate any seams with it. You can also get ca debonder and use a qtip to remove it. If you use traditional ca type hinges the ca usually leaves a frost around the hinge point where it evaporates. The debonder is also good for removing this.
Jan 19, 2003, 11:49 AM
i usually use a q-tip dipped in CA debonder. works great.
Jan 19, 2003, 10:16 PM
Travelling into the future
Thread OP
Acetone worked great, thanks. Is CA debonder just acetone or is it something else?
Jan 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Glad you got the mess cleaned up okay Xoltri,

Yep, CA debonder is acetone. Nail polish remover is also acetone with a 'cut' of other ingredients including plain water.

The best debonder by far is Nitromethane (Loctite' XMS solvent) but it is kind of nasty stuff to use. Doesn't like a few plastics either.

Regards,
Roger
Jan 20, 2003, 01:01 AM
Hi,

Glad you got it off. I like Ultracoat also and always manage to get some CA on it somewhere.

I use Revlon fingernail polish remover, a little more gentle that straight Acetone and it works well with a little scubbing with the Q Tip

I understand the Opticians use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Isopropol alcohol to remove CA from plastic eyeglass lenses. (The fingernail glue the ladies use is CA and it seems its a frequent problem ) the lenses are Polycarbonate ( Lexan ) which straight acetone will destroy, but the addition of the rubbing alcohol apparantly tames it enough that the CA can be removed with no damgage to the plastic

Love Ultracote, easy to apply and really tough stuff.

DaveW
Jan 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
While acetone can be used as a debonder, the commercial CA debonder is Nitro-methane.

- Roger

Quick Reply