Simple Delta... a quick build "prop on the front" delta - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 23, 2008, 05:32 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
why not... You can build it out of what ever you like... thats the whole point of the plane.
it's just some dimensions that you can use as a start point for your own version.

You dont need a plan, just draw it out on the foam its all straight lines, unless you want to round some of the corners off...its your plane you can pretty it up as you see fit.

What kind of motor stick, how you mount the battery is up to you, or you can just copy the way I have done it....your choice.

The is no Cf other than a strip down each of the long sides of the LE and a strip across the wing.

My battery is mounted on a velcro strip on the other side of the fus to the RX and Esc

You may find some video of similar planes in the wattflyer thread in the #1 post

Have fun and keep it light
Last edited by dekan; May 23, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2008, 06:36 PM
Dekan, got to try yours. I guess mine will sit for a while longer. I got two motors available the 16g 1700 and a bw 1200. I think I will try the bw with a bigger 8 or 9 inch prop. I wont have the speed of course, but perhaps at the 20" it might be a decent windy flyer? Yes?
May 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
flyin' fool
xyz: Like dekan said.

There's no rules chiseled in stone when it comes to deltas, you can make them any shape you want and if balanced correctly, they all work. Isosceles or equilateral triangles, pointy tips or clipped tips, doen't matter. Go with a shape to give you the wing area you need by doodling it out on paper. Wider tips will give you more area for a given length and pointy ones make the balance point or CG a little more convenient.

After you decide on the shape and size, go to www.palosrc.com, find the CG calculator in the 'instructors corner' and feed in the numbers and go for 17% to start with. That will give you a good starting point for the first flights and then fine tune for your flying style.

Mount the battery so you can move it around, forward for windy day flying and back for high alfa stuff on a calm day.

Keep it simple, keep it light, good luck and have fun.
Last edited by goldguy; May 23, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
May 23, 2008, 09:09 PM
flyin' fool
Landing deltas is a hoot, just like the Concord or Shuttle, keep feeding in up elevator and plunk it down flat right at your feet, no landing gear needed and no getting out of the lawn chair.
May 24, 2008, 01:03 AM
sounds fun cant wait but i just have to did up a new reciever for my transmitter because i need elevon mixing. thats the only thing holding me back.
May 24, 2008, 01:04 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Tymbe... use a firewall mount then you can try the 16g on the 20".
If you dont like it... fit the BW,using a firewall mount.

Or....Nothing to stop you lopping an inch of each side of the wing to make a smaller wing for the 16g once the plane is built...if you dont like the BW endless possibilitys.... just dont go mad with the weight with BW should be able to get 6oz AUW....with a 500ma 3s lipo

Use a 8 or smaller prop... you dont want any torque effects from a bigger prop..
May 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
subscribed
May 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Welcome aboard David...you must have a spare BW from one of your Darts by now!
May 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking about making one of these. My first and last attempt with a delta resulted in a plane that was very unstable and had dramatic pitch sensitivity.

How critical is the CG on this plane? If it's not almost spot on will it be unstable? Also, does it have pitch sensitivity? I'm not sure if this is right, but to solve pitch sensitivity do you make the plane nose heavy but then add reflex to the elevons?

I'm new to deltas.

- Jeff
May 24, 2008, 03:21 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
It's important, but once you get in the zone its not too difficult to find.

A little reflex can help. Nose heavy is not a good way to go and will lead to dramatic trim changes

It's best IMO for starters to let the delta climb slightly in level flight,

All my deltas fly very slightly nose up....its safer that way....its sorta like a surfboard skimming across the air.

The best guy to ask on trimming deltas, is Dr David Halko of SuperflyRC he wrote the book on deltas....all of his are superb
Last edited by dekan; May 24, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
May 24, 2008, 10:59 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz-2-xyz
sounds fun cant wait but i just have to did up a new reciever for my transmitter because i need elevon mixing. thats the only thing holding me back.
It's the transmitter that determines whether you have mixing or not. If it's just a basic non-computer radio, you can buy an electronics mixer for just a few bucks.
May 24, 2008, 11:22 PM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarnacki
How critical is the CG on this plane? If it's not almost spot on will it be unstable? Also, does it have pitch sensitivity? I'm not sure if this is right, but to solve pitch sensitivity do you make the plane nose heavy but then add reflex to the elevons?- Jeff
The only pitch sensitive flattie delta I've had was a glow powered one with the motor set at 0/0. A tad of down thrust on the motor to keep the wing at a positive angle and a bit of reflex (up elevons) smoothed things out nicely. I have since gone with that setup ever since, because it works for me.

I start with about 17% for a balance point, then fine tune so that when flying straight and level, there's only a very slight amount of reflex. Too much reflex shows you it's too nose heavy and is just unwanted drag.

Don't make it overly complicated. A delta is about the easiest to build, easiest to trim and easiest to fly flattie foamy, and they don't tip stall. Just consider gpw's Stealth Sport, a delta and one of the best trainer/sport/fun flying machines ever. A classic!
May 25, 2008, 03:04 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Mine does not have any down or right thrust.

I just moved the battery around.

Started a little tail heavy...which with a delta is no big problem and just move the battery forward until it flew smoothly upright and just with a tiny amount of down stick inverted.

It does not seem to require much in the way of reflex

Gold.....The mini Stealth Sport with a 10g motor should fly a treat.
May 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Welcome aboard David...you must have a spare BW from one of your Darts by now!
Thanks Dek, I sure do. getting ready to cut as we speak. What is up with the wind this spring?? Everyday it seems

David
May 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
David, just back from flying mine..... between the rain squalls it was flat calm for about an hour.

I must say I'm very pleased with the low speed handling.

It's not as good as my Superfly planes, but I think its quite good for a small flat plate delta

Maybe the small prop helps avoid torque problems... what a happy accident! It never occured to me that it might help the low speed handling when I built it....I just thought it won't hover worth spit!!
Last edited by dekan; May 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM.