Simple Delta... a quick build "prop on the front" delta - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 22, 2008, 11:55 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Gold... I must admit to being a big delta fan...There something about a delta..
They just seem, to me more, sexy etc than other plane wing platforms.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2008, 09:57 PM
Look outside the Square
Well, I finished the Double " D ' , Dekan's Delta ( that's what I call it ) and what a Ball Tearer . It took more time to put in the electrics than cutting and build time. All as per Specs in Post 1 except for the CG. I found it at 5 inchs from LE but go as Dekan's Specs to start with. We all build and fly different and use different materials and gear so that's probably why the difference. Threw in a bit of differential and full rates and how sweet it is.

All 3mm Cellfoam 88 except body underneath is 10mm Epp, weight 3 1/4 ozs W/O Batt, 2 X 5grm Servos, 4 ch Corona Rx, ELE C20 2900 Kv motor /4045 GWS prop and I used a 500mah 3 cell for the Batt.

Its Blow'n here at the moment so is it a windy day flyer, sure is. Rolls like a Drill turns on a dime and the loops can be nice and easy or very tight. Dont know what you call the other manouvers I was doing but it did them as well. Definately a Keeper. I'll try and get some video next week.

Thanks Dekan "She's a Beaut " Naaa make that " The Ducks Guts "

B x
May 23, 2008, 01:01 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Nice one Box, with the "canopy" it certainly has a cartoon look about it. Yours looks a bit like a 60's guitar without the neck..
My Cg of 6" works for me but at 5", you are in the Zone.

I have flown mine in a blustery 10mph wind, so I know with a slighlty forward Cg "it should do the business"
Last edited by dekan; May 23, 2008 at 02:05 AM.
May 23, 2008, 02:23 AM
Look outside the Square
Thanks Dekan. She fly's a Treat. The wind here at the moment is but this little number made it pretty non-existant. Basic Simple and fly's an absolute treat. Hopefully I'll get a video in next week of your Double D, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm expecting Half a Letter off the Queen tomorrow. I'll have to wait another 50 years before I get the other half I suppose....Hahahahahaha. Her indoors and my two sons are taking me out for Dinner tonight to celebrate. Then its back to work in the morning.

B x
May 23, 2008, 03:20 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Box..You still got enough time to fly a bit more...
May 23, 2008, 03:28 AM
Look outside the Square
I hate Winter Dekan. Its 6.30pm and its as Black as your Boot. Bring Back Daylight Saving I say. Delta's are Definately a delight. The little C20 has plenty of poke for this bugger. I tried the 4025 I think it is but the 4045 did it for me. Cut the wind like a knife.

B x
May 23, 2008, 03:40 AM
flyin' fool
Demon Delta.......

It was very, very windy here tonight, there were even branches being ripped off the trees around the park where we fly. I would say the gusts of wind were hitting 30-40 miles per hour. But what the heck, I've been bragging about how good deltas fly in the wind, so here goes, time to prove it. Besides, I wasn't going to drive for half an hour for nothing. Sure, it got bounced around, that's all part of the fun, but this little 16" span 4.4 ounce lives to fly again.

It started off as a much bigger platform with the motor as a pusher in the middle, then as a pusher to the rear end, then as a tractor. The tips were trimmed off, plus a few other pieces, as it had LG, twin spines on the bottom and tail skids. As a tractor it's by far the most fun because you can do more silly stuff with it. Also, added a few degrees of down thrust and trimmed the LEs from the centre line back by 45 degrees.

It was first powered by a CDRom based motor, then a 12mm innie and now a 10g from HC on 3S spinning a 5 X 3, fast, fast, fast and great pull out from hanging on the prop. Sounds great too.....reminds me of sitting in the dentist chair. I've even been heard to say 'ouch' while flying it.

That's what is so great about using EPP, hot melt and a Monokote trim iron. By sliding the tip of the hot iron into the joints you can take it apart. This DD is made up of many pieces and you can't tell, even up close.
Last edited by goldguy; Apr 18, 2015 at 09:58 PM.
May 23, 2008, 03:59 AM
flyin' fool
The bag in the above picture is all I carry from my vehicle to the flying site. It contains the TX, antenna, extra TX battery (although I've gone to a lipo in the TX) Astro Whattmeter, voltage checker, assorted tools n' supplies, extra props and my lipos (I was packing 8 here).

I have a 18A battery and charge set up in another small plastic box, but I hate charging at the field, so it stays in the vehcle. Need more hands to carry all my foamies to the other side of the park anyways.

I sling it on, put on my fedora and I'm Indiana Jones in search of the ultimate form of electron foamy power.
Last edited by goldguy; May 23, 2008 at 04:12 AM.
May 23, 2008, 04:59 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Looks great Gold, you and Bravedan should compare notes on bags....although he hasn't got such a niffty hat!
A cheap simple delta.... we got the Dart, the NB and family... R1/SQ2 etc .... we are getting there..

Mind you, I will know when we have arrived, when one of "our" foamie designs are published in a Modelling mag...but don't hold your breathe
Last edited by dekan; May 23, 2008 at 06:33 AM.
May 23, 2008, 09:04 AM
Foam Wannabe
Gold,

How did you attach your antenna to your Optic 6, if you don't mind me asking? I have a rubber ducky for my Optic 6 as well but I don't feel like it is all that strong a mount. It always feels like I'm putting to much stress on the top part of the plastic.

Any pointers?

Ron

Oh, BTW, nice looking delta.
May 23, 2008, 09:34 AM
flyin' fool
That 'rubber ducky' antenna is from Ace RC and has two sections that screw together right at the top of the case. The bottom is just a chromed shaft and the top part has the coils. It's about 15 years old, so I don't know if it's still made. I also have a one piece one that will work, but it's too long to fit into that bag when removed.

Both go down into the TX about half way where they screw onto a small circuit board holding a metric machine scew. The opening in the top of the TX is too big, so I put a piece of tubing over the shaft for a tight fit.
May 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
notes on bags
It took me hours upon hours of looking to find just the right bag. It had way too many pockets and pouches and zippered compartments inside, so I modified it somewhat and added the strap.

My first electric flight box had everything and weighed about 25 pounds. I even modified one of those two wheeled hand carts at one point. It carried everything including about four models.

The idea was to get to the other side of the park in one trip. My new setup, two free hands, gets four foamies to the other side with everything else I need.

I could build a Weezzle and velcro it to my hat for another.
May 23, 2008, 05:00 PM
alright guys i may be blind but i have searched the link at the beginning and cannot find the plans or any vids for this simple delta. anybody want to point me in the right direction?
thanx, trev
May 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
No plans just dimensions in post #1.
I dont have a video
May 23, 2008, 05:15 PM
what about motor mount stick or ...other? is there any cf besides on the wings. can i build out of blucore? and where does your battery go. is there any other pics like battery compartment ect..
Last edited by xyz-2-xyz; May 23, 2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: mis spelled