May 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
Horned one
Discussion

Release, release!

Heed the warnings about a reliable release on both planes... things get really ugly otherwise:

F-Schlepp Katastrophe (1 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2008, 11:00 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
0-0,
Thanks, I needed a good laugh right about now.
Not understanding the language I could not make out what they were saying.
Seems like too many things went wrong all at the same time, it will definitly keep me on my toes when doing a preflight to make sure I check my release.

cooper998
May 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
k2k
k2k
Sad. But I'm still laughing. Sorry.

Having suffered a recent release failure, I was wondering what people's opinions are on the Graupner pull-the-rod style versus the classic rotate-the- plate style nose releases for gliders. Is one more reliable under extreme line tension?
May 20, 2008, 06:37 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
The action in that video looks almost identical to a crash I had last year involving a 1/4 ASK-18. I realized the -18 was heading straight for the tow pilot (HE was in the wrong place), I popped over him, almost stalled, he got spooked and kept the gas on yet never rotated, all the while I was trying to release. Pulled me right back into the ground.........hard. That plane had the Graupner type release (cam style). My latest scale plane has the "rod across the hole" style with a gorilla servo. Ain't gonna let that happen to me again! I hope.
May 31, 2008, 05:14 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
There are a few rules to tow releases for both tow planes and sailplanes:
1. smooth action - meaning no binding of the release mechanism under stress;
2. a servo of at least 100 ounce-inches of torque;
3. use the servo arm hole closest to the center
4. Test your release using a 50-pound fish scale with a piece of towline, and swivel, and a tow loop (tow loop is 60-pound cotton fishing line);pull smoothly to 50 pounds and release.
5. always test your tow loop for free movement after closing the release.

We have not had a release failure when these rules are followed, and we tow every month; four types of releases are in use: crossbar with wire, rotating plate, wire across hole, and wire in aluminum block (towplane).

Bruce
South Bay Soaring Society
May 31, 2008, 06:02 PM
yah I have to agree the flying pencil is a cracker.....
Jun 01, 2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone know why the tow pilot didn't release?
Jun 02, 2008, 10:22 AM
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Diss
Anyone know why the tow pilot didn't release?
He heard about the $10,000 reward for Funniest Home Videos.