SS tail dragger mod - RC Groups
May 18, 2008, 02:49 AM
Idea

SS tail dragger mod

I decided the little metal rod for the tail dragger gear flexes too much so I took the wheel off, straightened the end of the rod, slid a piece of copper tubing over it and bent it back. It might add a tiny bit of weight, but now its more stable and doesn't try to swing out side to side as much.

Last edited by ok_flyer; May 18, 2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Category change
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
Thanks..
Looks like it may be worth a try.
Wonder if you could work the tubing into stabilizing the forward gear?
May 18, 2008, 03:18 PM
Member 120mph Club
To stabalize the front wheels you can add a cross wire. Use thread to wrap around the wires to hold them together then use CA on the thread... when it dries it will be hard like fiberglass...that will keep the wheels from doing the splits....you can add a tube to each side from the fuse down to the wheel in a similar fashion.
May 27, 2008, 07:17 PM
The brass tube worked for a short time, but it bends back and forth under the weight of the tail...

I had some extra plastic parts left over from my X-gear kit, so I chopped them down and made a steerable tailwheel mechanism. I hope it holds up under the stress of landing, the foam wheel should give a little shock absorption.
May 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
Looks great OK, let me know how it holds up!

Later
RK
May 28, 2008, 07:42 PM
So far so good! It had a short turning radius while I was steering it around on the ground. It has shifted my CG though. Time to scoot some components up front to balance it out.

Quick Reply