Portsmouth, Va. Lightship Museum - RC Groups
May 17, 2008, 09:48 AM
Discussion

Portsmouth, Va. Lightship Museum

I made a trip to the Portsmouth Lightship Museum a couple days ago. I bought a Hull for the portsmouth from my good friend at Microglass last year. This trip was to take some photo documentation of the ship to help with the building. I hope you like them.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
hi,
looks like an interesting boat i am just wondering what the 19th pic is the one with 109 on it?

Mat
May 17, 2008, 09:59 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Draft marks... 9', 10'...
May 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
but whats the bulge thing is it a water inlet/outlet?
May 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Beesley
hi,
looks like an interesting boat i am just wondering what the 19th pic is the one with 109 on it?

Mat
The opening is where the mushroom anchor is held for release.
May 17, 2008, 10:58 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
There were six originally built to the same plans in 1929-1930. Two were sunk, two scrapped, and the remaining two are museum ships in Baltimore and Portsmouth.

Ironically, neither is named after its original light station, and the existing names are ficticious, having never been actual stations---.
May 17, 2008, 06:11 PM
KC8WPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Beesley
but whats the bulge thing is it a water inlet/outlet?
Hawse pipe for the main anchor. The draft marks (1, 0, 9) are 6 inches high, with 6 inches of space between them. If the water is even with the bottom of the number (#9), then the draft is an even (9) foot. If thewter is in the middel of the number 9, then the draft is 9' 3".

Here's a picture of the COLUMBIA River Lightship (my first duty station in the USCG, 1977-78) showing the bow anchor.