May 03, 2010, 06:35 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Hi all,

Finally completed the Billiard Room addition I've been working on, glad to have it finished. Installed the light fixtures today and the pool table was delivered and installed, these guys were the real deal, the picture shows how the room looked when they left...hope my client invites to break a few racks.

Also, now I may have more heli time.

Bill,
Great to hear you received your shipment from Terence. When did you place your order? I've been waiting for a $200+ order since 4/22 and still no show...very unusual. Ah the USPS in action.

Regards
John
Last edited by 1Hammer; May 03, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2010, 07:09 PM
Very nice John,

Thanks for the kind words. I always pay attention to details, its a curse sometimes. The longest part of the re-model was smoothing the walls and ceilings, the cabinet work only took a few weeks, floors were 2 days.

I had some help from a friend with my cabinet work, mainly just the use of his shop and tools (and the amazing abilities for nesting cuts and dimensioning cabinet work in his head). It was the first black kitchen he had done in over 15 years in the industry.

http://www.finecraft-cw.com/ might as well give him a plug.
May 03, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi John,
I placed my order April 25. you should be getting yours very soon, I'd think....maybe got hung up in customs. The longest it's taken was 2 weeks via regular shipping.

these 4#6's are pretty. I haven't even charged the batt, yet. Just studying the little guy right now.

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 03, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
May 03, 2010, 08:13 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca
these 4#6's are pretty. I haven't even charged the batt, yet. Just studying the little guy right now.

regards,
Bill
uh huh

sure

just dont get it sticky

nice

going to do a 4g6 conversion or go fbl??

mk
May 03, 2010, 08:46 PM
got two to play with. putting a TechHead on one. not sure about the other.. I'd like to try the fbl for fun. dunno? the 4g6 conversion would be fairly easy, it appears. an rx, a servo and a 4g3 mainshaft assembly.

regards,
Bill
May 04, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hi all,
Has the differences in HP08 models been sorted? Are the ones wow is selling that much different? If so....worth the $? Going by Amp's 1/10 motor/gross weight rule of thumb, will an HP06 be under powered for the 4#6? Will the 2433rx take 2s?
Anything I should know before I launch?

regards,
Bill

too late...I rekitted this one. Nah, nah...jus' kiddin'.
Tried it in stock form. A few tweaks and it could be OK.We never settle for OK, especially if we have these cool parts to make it good. Seriously, it's a nice little heli, I guess I got spoiled with the response of the ufo, but a little sluggish...climb out and cyclic response wise. It's ripe for the TechHead, or at the VERY least a b/h head. The 3axis rx w/o is a waste. A bigger horse would not hurt it one bit, either.

After a second pack...
The yaw response seems disproportionate to the cyclic. The TH will help that a lot. I think I'm gonna convert no.2 to a 4g6. Now I know why you like your 4g6's, gotta be sweet! Any recommended rx to use for the 4g6, since I need to buy that.

After a few packs, I have a question...
there's a yaw drift to the right that doesn't seem to respond to trimming from the tx [2402tx]. suggestions? gyro sens? mechanical adjustment? I should try the other tx's, 2401, 2801 and see if it's a pilot error with a new piece of equipment. "We have found your problem sir. There's a loose nut behind the wheel!".

thanks guys
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 04, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
May 06, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

Had a successful fish fish hunt. Didn't slay 'em...enough for fish and chips tonight. It was a bit breezy...2 anchors dragging, so I tied up to a stick-up.

I'll be getting to upgrading the 4#6 started, if I don't collapse at 8:00 o'clock. I'm still on the fence where the motor is concerned. The stock motor seems kinda wimpy and if the HP06 performance is similar, that's not what I'm looking for. I guess a round of HP08s is coming. I think I am gonna wait on the 3 axis CP rx [2610?] for the 4g6 conversion. Maybe after you guys figure it out . I think I'll have my hands full with the 2433rx for now

regards,
Bill
May 06, 2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Hi all,
Has the differences in HP08 models been sorted? Are the ones wow is selling that much different? If so....worth the $? Going by Amp's 1/10 motor/gross weight rule of thumb, will an HP06 be under powered for the 4#6? Will the 2433rx take 2s?
Anything I should know before I launch?

regards,
Bill

too late...I rekitted this one. Nah, nah...jus' kiddin'.
Tried it in stock form. A few tweaks and it could be OK.We never settle for OK, especially if we have these cool parts to make it good. Seriously, it's a nice little heli, I guess I got spoiled with the response of the ufo, but a little sluggish...climb out and cyclic response wise. It's ripe for the TechHead, or at the VERY least a b/h head. The 3axis rx w/o is a waste. A bigger horse would not hurt it one bit, either.

After a second pack...
The yaw response seems disproportionate to the cyclic. The TH will help that a lot. I think I'm gonna convert no.2 to a 4g6. Now I know why you like your 4g6's, gotta be sweet! Any recommended rx to use for the 4g6, since I need to buy that.

After a few packs, I have a question...
there's a yaw drift to the right that doesn't seem to respond to trimming from the tx [2402tx]. suggestions? gyro sens? mechanical adjustment? I should try the other tx's, 2401, 2801 and see if it's a pilot error with a new piece of equipment. "We have found your problem sir. There's a loose nut behind the wheel!".

thanks guys
The 1/10 ratio was my theory on what weight outrunner can provide ample torque (stator size etc)...seems close most of the time.

Yep thought the 4#6 would seem docile or restricted in regards to cyclic etc for those happy to fly 4#3's etc. I am sure B/H would make it feel nicer....and with a TH and B/H should be a cracker.

Re HPO6...not sure really. In a 4g3 AUW 72g they can handle 18T full collective and not alot of bog. Any higher would be counter productive imo. So maybe it would have enough grunt being that the recommended on an HPO8 is 18T and they are almost identical kv.

I would say if you have an HPO6 around (I know you have a micro motor shop!) it wouldn't be worth buying an HPO8 for a 4#6...4g6 go the HPO8.

Re rx's for the conversion if it were me I would get the 2609 or wait for a proper flybarless 2610S-A that works.

I've been thinking of doing a ddvp 4g6 on 2s spektrum....just an idea I've been throwing around in my head for a while. 2.9 rewind constant rpm fitted to 4g6 tail. Only issues is I would want it to be an animal power wise and don't think the main gear would cope.

Oh and HPO8 different versions....who knows. Both Clubheli and Wow get the same and then wow supposedly tests them etc is my take...nothing from anyone to say conclusively which is frightfully frustrating.

Amp
May 06, 2010, 09:46 PM
I do find the FBL intriguing. I shouldn't be 6 months before walkera releases another 2610 version for you guys to test.

Yeah Wow's HP08s are supposedly better w/o quantifying it more than "These are better".

thanks Amp.
May 07, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hi all,
Amp,
re: your concerns of spur gear failure

I presume you're worried about stripping teeth under heavy demand. Since you're wanting to do DDVP tail, what's to keep you from just changing gear mods and using different pinion/spurs that are available?

my question with doing a setup like that, how difficult is it to get a constant rpm at the tail? Being a simpleton, I would try to drive the tail esc off the same port as the main [do I smell magic smoke?] and run your DDVP from that. And the drawback is...?

For a constant tail rpm you could just run "straight from the batt" and more or less bypass the rx as far as the tail motor is concerned.

Just thinking. I'm sure you've pondered these things already.

regards,
Bill

was so excited to get back to the TH 4#6......this is much better. I don't consider myself an advanced flier, more like just above novice. I still think responsive helps keep you from crashes. This delivers. Now to get the outrunner and 3 axis in it. I really don't think the 3 axis is needed using the TH. I still need to do some tweaking. the flybar had a bind until the c-clip departed. Jay had a vertical slot for the feathering shaft built into it. so it doesn't slop side to side.
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 07, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
May 07, 2010, 08:50 PM
Yep Bill I could change main gears...but I do not know what will fit...just an idea I had really.

From what I read in a few threads here and there dd vp bl tails are awesome. The only reason I believe they are not mainstream is because of how bad variable rpm 4in1 rate tails are in rtf FP's...so that is what people think of when they hear motor tail.

Apparently the tail drive system taps approx 20% from the power system...and without an awesome governor tail rpm drops and rises with main rotor torque load causing quite a job for the gyro. Having a dd constant rpm vp tail takes one more variable out of the tail system.

Many "Y" the throttle signal to the tail esc so it runs in unison with the main. However a few go that one step further and work out the ideal rpm for the tail / blades / gyro combo and by use of a mix (from my understanding) mix the tail esc to be a set endpoint against the throttle curve 5 points.

Another couple advantages against a driven tail....frees up the main rotor of the effects and varience of the tail system friction....meaning more constant headspeed and effeciency.
Easier repair after crashes.
Overall effeciency of the heli. Apparently and this seems plausable, a dd bl motor actually draws far less from the system than a driven tail as the loads are split letting the overall system draw less.
Only downside I can see, besides complexity of initial setup and inability to auto unless you assign the tail power cut to a switch other than throttle hold, is maybe marginal weight gain. However you remove tail shaft, belt, torque shaft, gear at the front if possible, and add bl with extended shaft and esc...kinda much as much I would guess.

Just an idea...

Amp
May 07, 2010, 10:21 PM
Seems to me it wouldn't take a major work to make a switch that activates the tail motor as long as the main is drawing juice, ya think? where's EQMOD when you need him?
On gears, do gear specs give diameters or are we supposed to know this from the mod? I suppose you could figure it out using mod, which is teeth/distance?, and some basic geometry. You have a given, plus and minus, distance between the motor and main shaft.

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 07, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
May 08, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hi all,
I guess I'll be doing my 2433rx, XP07A, HP06 upgrades today in addition the a micro deans. Saw symptoms of wire/plug failure already and I trimmed the bumps off the batt connector before the first flight. I need to convert the XP07A's plug. I was going to hard wire it all, maybe after I get it up-n-running.

Amp,
DDVP tail looks a lot simpler, from a mechanical point. I can't see a reason for you not to do it.

has anyone heard from Elias lately? What's he up to?

regards,
Bill
May 08, 2010, 08:42 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Quote:
Hi all,
I guess I'll be doing my 2433rx, XP07A, HP06 upgrades today in addition the a micro deans. Saw symptoms of wire/plug failure already and I trimmed the bumps off the batt connector before the first flight. I need to convert the XP07A's plug. I was going to hard wire it all, maybe after I get it up-n-running.

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,
That's exactly the setup I have as well. Unfortunately all the parts I need to build my 4#6 TechHead are in the order from Terence that's lost in USPS oblivion.

Terence is on it though and I'll hopefully have it within the week.

Look forward to your opinions when you get everything wired up and flying.

Regards,
John
May 08, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hi John,
What ya lacking for the build?...I bet I have what you need. I can post it Monday, if you like. Today, if it's not a motor.

regards,
Bill

Quick Reply