Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
Gallery

Scale from the slope...

The White Sheet club's 1st slope scale fly in of 2008 was a big success, with some really excellent slope weather and lots of interesting machines. Catch some of the action here...

White Sheet Scale Fly-in 2008 (4 min 57 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Great stuff Chris, thanks for sharing!

Steve
May 16, 2008, 03:58 PM
wds
wds
Just fly
A superb production (as usual)! Thanks for building it, filming it, and sharing it.

Bill
May 16, 2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Slopeaphile
lol always good to get the Python raspberry in there somewhere

Good stuff as always CW!
May 17, 2008, 11:19 PM
how can i buiild 1?
May 18, 2008, 08:25 AM
6-mins, assuming you mean the Skylark, look here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=skylark+4

...and here:

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAG.../CW_Index.html

cw
May 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
Nice video,

Hmm... I wonder if my club has enough money in the budget to buy a slope somewhere?

Pete (still dreaming sailplanes and sailboats)
May 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
any more info on the horten?
May 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
Cris, looks like fun, do you guys have the little 60 inch racers and what-not invade your events? Here in California it seems we cannot stop the non-scale types from invading a weekend of supposedly scale only flying, bummer!
May 19, 2008, 09:31 PM
Gravity gets me down.
What model is this beauty?
May 20, 2008, 01:37 AM
Vini, Vidi, Scalies
Go4 Govier I think...
May 20, 2008, 03:44 AM
Fred is right, it's a Go4 or Gö 4 (Göttingen 4)

As this particular model has a Dutch registration you should be looking for the name "Goevier" under which it's known in Holland.
May 20, 2008, 03:29 PM

Which model is the twin-boomed glider?

Never seen that one before...

Mike K.
May 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
Pete, a small, folding portable slope that will fold up and fit in the car is what you need...

Mike,the Goevier belongs to Wessex Soaring Assn's Dave Camp. It's built from scratch to 1/4 scale and is now about twenty years old...

The twin boom jobbie is Glyn Fonteau's Holst 20P, also 1/4 scale and o/d but only goes back five or six years, I think...

S2000, yes, there are plenty of foamies and flying wings about, but we all seem to get along OK...

The Horten belongs to Richard Alford and he sent me the following details...

The model is of a Horten 3f built to 1/6 scale from the Gordon Waite plan published in the February 1992 edition of Radio Modeller. It is 131inches span and weighs in at 81 ozs. The outline is scale, but the wing section is not. The washout distribution does look similar to the full size approach.

The model went together well, but like Gordon I did have some trouble with warping of the elevons and flaps. However, help is now at hand in the form of a construction photo of a full size Horten 3 which shows the existence of diagonal ribs between the main elevon/flap ribs. With the inclusion of these and some beefing up of the elevon/flap leading edge the warp problems will disappear. As is so often the case I discovered all this after I had finished the model! I used flat hinges with removable pins for these surfaces to give accurate location and some control of the warps. Solartex cover strips seal the hinge line.
I made no attempt to try and reproduce the Perspex panels around the nose area which feature on the full size 3f. This would involve quite a lot of complicated structural work and the inclusion of a retractable nose skid. Also CG requirements mean that the Rx battery together with a small quantity of lead ballast need to be right in the nose which makes for further complication with the full scale approach.
The model is covered in Solartex with just the walk line to the cockpit area painted on. Numbers need to be added to the sub fin which in retrospect could be strengthened slightly to make it easier to hand launch.
The controls consist of inboard flaps, outboard elevons and drag rudders at the tips. I used a separate servo on each. The drag rudders act with the elevons in a turn and also together as air brakes when the flaps come down to give landing approach control.
Control is good around all three axis and approach control very powerful with the large flaps and drag rudders acting together. Obviously all this requires a computer Tx with good mixing facilities.
Most flying to date has been off the slope in gentle winds and I need to extend the envelope to see how it copes in more wind. It should winch/bungee launch, but I have yet to explore this in anger. I suspect that it will be hard to get good launch height and so am investigating launch flap settings to try and improve this. Circumspection is needed as it could bite!

So an interesting aircraft which although looking plain on the ground is something different in the air.

More on its overall flying performance when I have it - I don’t want to remain just chained to the slope.

I was amazed at how stable the Horten was in the air, and efficient, too, especially after seeing the Parabola on Paul Naton's DVD. It wasn't even difficult to launch, and it is a tribute to it's late designer for getting it so right all those years ago...