Thread Tools
May 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie wants to build Slow Easy Foamie


I am new to rcgroups I am trying to return to the hobby after about 15 years. I am interested in electric simple and cheap. I have seen some of these foamies and it got my attention. I no nothing about this technique. I want to build somethng very easy to fly and slow. I woud like a built up fuse more like a regluar model,. Anyway I need something that will give me plans with a build log or some directions. I have seen the blu-baby 42" which has some plans but I do not seen any instructions or material. I need to know what engine what type of foam and where to get the foam and how to glue etc.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Start here first, then come back and ask more detailed questions. (Please don't take this as a "brush off" - I sincerely am trying to help!)

That link should at least give you a good overview of some of the planes, materials and building questions, and when you have a better idea of what you specifically want to build and what budget you are likely to have, we'll be better able to help you with those detailed queries.

Hope that helps!
May 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Registered User
kdahlhaus's Avatar
Tony55x65's Blu-Baby is a great flyer and meets your needs.
May 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
laserman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE63
I am new to rcgroups I am trying to return to the hobby after about 15 years. I am interested in electric simple and cheap. I have seen some of these foamies and it got my attention. I no nothing about this technique. I want to build somethng very easy to fly and slow. I woud like a built up fuse more like a regluar model,. Anyway I need something that will give me plans with a build log or some directions. I have seen the blu-baby 42" which has some plans but I do not seen any instructions or material. I need to know what engine what type of foam and where to get the foam and how to glue etc.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556
for the main start of plans and do not worry just ask in the thread and we will help you with any info for you to get you going and getting up and in the air
May 15, 2008, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Thanks for the help guys. I did read through your recommended site. This was helpful. Looks like the Blu Baby 42 inch would be the way to go to get started? I also want to teach my 12 year old daughter to fly. Maybe this would be a good plane for that as well. Somebody stop me if I am wrong. I see the plans. What I do not see is balance point. Is that the red line through the wing or is that some kind of reinforcement? How to join the wing and get the dihedral. Is there a thread for this info? Can someone tell me what foam is used for this plane and is there more than one kind? Is this method lighter than build with balsa? Any help to get started would be greatful. When I modeled 15 years ago I build kits and scratch built from plans a few. I love building as much as flying so I think I can do this. I have has several back surgeries am currently disabled. This will give me something to keep my mind occupied and I like the idea of going out and not having to carry a heavy field box fuel etc.. Sorry to sound so dumb but you gotta start somewhere. Well I thank anyone for any input.
May 16, 2008, 01:13 AM
Registered User
capt's Avatar
Its fan fold but other foams would work that are about 1/4" or 4-6mm like depron (ordered from places like RCFoam) or even redi board (dollar store) and Elmers board from places like Walmart. Rediboard and Elmers need the paper removed from them to keep it lite.
If you are lucky you can get Fanfold at your local Lowes or other builders supply.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...153&lpage=none
May 16, 2008, 07:44 AM
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Take Magic612's advice. Go where he says, click on Columns, and read on the Rebel KF trainer. Has plans, a build log, suggested motor, etc.
May 16, 2008, 09:31 AM
JCL
JCL
Registered User
JCL's Avatar
Blue Baby, Blu-Beagle, Trainer 1 are all frequently recommended as easy to build/fly foamies.

Blu-Beagle and Trainer 1 are pushers which protects the prop on less than perfect landings.

Of the three, the Blue Baby looks most like a real plane and is probably a slightly harder build.

I started with a Blu-Beagle, but I don't think you can go too wrong with any of these. All three have good plans and build threads to answer any questions. All three were designed by people who are very active on rcgroups.

Joe
May 16, 2008, 10:18 AM
Registered User
kdahlhaus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE63
Thanks for the help guys. I did read through your recommended site. This was helpful. Looks like the Blu Baby 42 inch would be the way to go to get started? I also want to teach my 12 year old daughter to fly. Maybe this would be a good plane for that as well. Somebody stop me if I am wrong. I see the plans. What I do not see is balance point. Is that the red line through the wing or is that some kind of reinforcement? How to join the wing and get the dihedral. Is there a thread for this info? Can someone tell me what foam is used for this plane and is there more than one kind? Is this method lighter than build with balsa? Any help to get started would be greatful. When I modeled 15 years ago I build kits and scratch built from plans a few. I love building as much as flying so I think I can do this. I have has several back surgeries am currently disabled. This will give me something to keep my mind occupied and I like the idea of going out and not having to carry a heavy field box fuel etc.. Sorry to sound so dumb but you gotta start somewhere. Well I thank anyone for any input.



I posted pics on the Blue Baby thread last summer describing how I built the wing on my 42", so search the thread for 'kdahlhaus' and you should find it.

I run a GWS 350 brushed motor, with the C gear and GWS 1080 prop in mine. It's great trainer.


cog - all the BBs are at 33% with the UC wing and 38% with the KFm wing, measured at the root from the LE. I used 1.9" dihedral under each wing tip for mine.

Here are some notes, these probably originated with Tony:

o uses gws glue for monobloc
o add bulkhead
o use pins to keep fuse top/bottom in place
o components as far forward as possible
o tape along leading edge and bottom of wing
o I use a single strip of duct tape across the wing joint running chordwise and run a strip of fiber tape out spanwise to just short of the tips.
o popsicle sticks to protect le/te from rubber bands
o BB Birddog II has 1/2" travel all the way around on full rates and about 3/8" on dual rates. At slow speeds 1/2" feels real good to me.

wings:
Pic 2. After the dihedral has been sanded in, glue 'em together. I normally use a bead of hot melt. After it has completely cooled (dried?) I take a thin bead of PU glue and rub it into the joint. When it expands it assures complete adhesion. I put a half width strip of duct tape, preferably white or black, across the top of the joint for looks and strength. It also assures the PU glue doesn't ooze out the top of the wing. Under the wing, I cut a popsicle stick halfway through, bend in the dihedral and hot melt it to the wing at the 33% chord mark. This is also the CG point. Lastly, I run a strip of fiber reinforced tape across the bottom of the wing, tip to tip. This tape is brute strong a gives a great deal of strength to the wing without adding any appreciable weight.


--It's a good choice for training your daughter to fly.
May 16, 2008, 11:29 AM
You deserve my opinion
FirstShirt's Avatar
Yep, lots of great choices. The thing that helped me the most getting started was that I could ask a question on the threads geared to noobies and get lots of good input.

Note that Waterdog's STC has a very detailed, step-by-step, downloadable build guide. Whether you build this plane or not you'll profit from readying through the guide.
May 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
OK I like the looks of the Blue Baby 42 but I don't get the wing. How do you get the wing joined, dihedral and how do you keep teh curl in it. Are thre ribs. I have searched throug this but just am not see in this info.

Mark
May 16, 2008, 08:51 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
laserman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE63
OK I like the looks of the Blue Baby 42 but I don't get the wing. How do you get the wing joined, dihedral and how do you keep teh curl in it. Are thre ribs. I have searched throug this but just am not see in this info.

Mark
the bb 42 uses a KFM wing its a flat bottom wing there is no curve the KFM wing uses the special step to generate the lift look here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1368
May 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
I hate to sound dumb, I will try this one more time. i thing I can figure out the fuselodg.e But on the Baby Blue 42" pics I have seen it shows a flat wing with some curl and dihedral. How do you join the wing and get the dihedral and that wind has some curve in it. I saw a video showig a guy putting curl on a wing on his kitchen counter but how does the curl stay.
May 17, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Tony65x55's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE63
I hate to sound dumb, I will try this one more time. i thing I can figure out the fuselodg.e But on the Baby Blue 42" pics I have seen it shows a flat wing with some curl and dihedral. How do you join the wing and get the dihedral and that wind has some curve in it. I saw a video showig a guy putting curl on a wing on his kitchen counter but how does the curl stay.
Hi Mark, I'm the guy in the video bending the wing, and the designer of the Blu-Babies.

The Undercambered wing you're describing has been withdrawn for the BB42 as it needed structural reinforcement and was getting flutter issues during high speed dives.

It has been replaced by the KFm3 airfoil, which is mostly flat panels taped and glued together. On page eight, post 107 is a guide to putting the KFm3 wing together. People have been very happy with the change as the KFm3 airfoil is an all around better airfoil. It will fly fast and slow, has little stall and is very easy to build.

If you have a copy of the old plans, trash them and download the new ones as they contain several improvements.

You'll enjoy the build. It is simple and intuitive and produces a quality flying machine whose performance outshines any trainer you can buy. It is also very tough to withstand the knocks and bangs a new pilot inevitably does.

Come on over to the BB thread. You'll find lots of good folks to help answer your questions and get you flying in no time.

Tony

PS: The Dihedral angle is set by the Spar Joiners. Simply glue the joiners and spars together as per the plans and your angle is set. As you add panels, a few seconds with some sandpaper ensures a perfect fit. You'll understand when you see it.
May 17, 2008, 10:15 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Tony,

Thanks, I will get over to the BB thread and see what I can do. Thanks guys for your patience.

Mark


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Newbie who wants to build a pontoon garyss396 Dock Talk 19 Jun 29, 2007 02:24 PM
$15 DIY easy-to-build Slow Stick wing with better wind-handling characteristics pfm Aerial Photography 23 Nov 01, 2004 07:24 PM
Anyone ever build a hybred Foamie/Crunchey? rparigoris Foamies (Kits) 0 Mar 06, 2003 02:09 PM
Newbie Just got a Slow Stick AlanKirby Parkflyers 16 Nov 06, 2002 05:42 PM