This thread is privately moderated by jarel design, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Full Size Slope Glider!!!!

One of my earliest... (Back when I didn't really understand that if this thing didn't work, dead, meant permanent! lol! (I can laugh now, but at one point I was pretty broken up with pieces of metal stuck in my body! (Don't try this at home kids, I am a professional! (Ha! Ha! Ha! ... You should see my scars!)

Glad I did it... grateful I'm still alive...

First design experienced a catastrophic wing spar failure being towed behind a truck! (I was 18... I was NOT wearing a helmet... I didn't know any better!)

Second design actually flew... This time I wore a helmet and launched atop a large sand dune (same place these photos were taken!) The contraption glided, but I wanted to soar back and forth along this hill the way the seagulls were flying!

This contraption actually soared! rudder elevator (later converted to two stick/aileron, elevator and rudder) I flew it for a while but ultimately crashed (Badly) competing in a spot landing competition... Classic, overshoot, hard banking turn, stall, fall down and scream in pain! *smile* Ok... got that out of my system! (I still have a set of plans for a full size B-2 Mitchell wing! 16:1 glide ratio!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hi Jarel,
I myself built a glider take off to foot...
It was a great experience.
Too long to build but for a fine result.
congratulation for your glider.

Stéphane

http://www.carbondragon.ch/Book%20du%20Carbon%20Dragon/CD%20en%20l'air/index.htm
May 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sink stinks
Cool! Glad to hear you didn't go the way of Otto Lilienthal.
Oct 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Richard,

You would'nt happen to be aquainted with Mike Sandlin ( http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm ) would you? He has some awesome glider work as well, and I believe he is out in your neck of the woods.

Ken
Oct 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Hi Ken, no I'm not but what a great site! thanks for sharing!

Go the blood going just recalling my own experiences (and crashes!) the one pictured was the third try of three different designes.. the first crashed horrbily, the second flew, but not soared... this one flew great, but in a competition back in the late 70's I cartwheeled coming in tight and low havily banked trying for a spot landing... wing tip caught a hidden rock in high grass, breaking alot of bones and snapping cables cutting fllesh... glad I did it, glad I stopped, but... photos liket he one on tat site sure get my adrenalin pumping again!

Thanks!

Richard

Quick Reply