This thread is privately moderated by jarel design, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Cool

Awsome Canard!

Shortly after getting into special effects film work, I began building toy prototypes for several major toy companies. This one was just too cool to not share.

Never designed to fly (other than in our imagination), this plane features an undercarriage that can be jettisoned to reveal a rocket powered "Battle Luge". Like all prototypes I build, everything you see is hand made. A project like this can take 4 weeks and I'm rarely allowed more than 6 to complete.
Last edited by jarel design; May 14, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
Thread OP

Awsome Canard photos

This toy was created over 10 years ago for a major toy company (I'm not comfortable disclosing any specific information but if you have questions regarding fabrication process, feel free!

I forgot to attach photos to the previous post!
May 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
Noo Bee Fyer
That is one cool design. Have you tried fabricating some cool helicopter fuselages? other than the typical scale - it would be cool to have some sci-fi-ish kinda fuselage for the helis other than the boring same-old-same-old stuff. The canard fighter can lend itself to the double rotor type helis since they do not necesitate any tail booms. Just a thought.
May 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
Go get them Meg!
Huh, I may have to incorporate some of that look into the Telos I'm working on, just for when it's hanging in the shop.
May 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
Thread OP

thanks for the kind words

The photos you see are of a prototype toy. This will be scanned via laser and the data encoded into a cnc machine to make the molds...

As for cool helicopter bodies:

What kind of market is there?

What size?
Does one size fit all (brands?) in other words, is there a popular size where the modeler can adapt a size of body to a manufacturer's particular body mounting system? (If I build one and produce bodies for a particular brand, will that size fit other brands of the same size?)

What is the going price (range of prices) for after-market body kits?

are there weight specifications?

I'd be interested in producing really wild bodies (concepts nobody has seen before) and producing them in vacuum formed plastics with clear canopies, cockpit kits etc...

If there are enough Heli pilots interested and I can get a hold of three-view photos/drawings with measurements including mechanics (where I can and can't incorporate body and/or interior designs so that they easily fit existing frames, I could easily be encouraged to produce some cool kits...

Check out my Blogs... there's one on a potential kit of an OV-10 Bronco... It will give you an idea of what I can do in plastics... (Also, this instead of fiberglass, keeps the prices REALLY LOW! *smile*) (Maybe even a replacement deal for people purchasing a body with one free replacement when you return the damaged one in the original box?

Just sharing a few thoughts... anything is possible!

Check out my website for more of some of my work.

thanks again for visiting!
Richard
May 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
Noo Bee Fyer
There are many double rotor heli users for indoor. There arethousands of 450 size heli users that will pay about $20 for a simple canopy and $50-$150 for a scale fuselage. I would say $50-$80 for a unique cool looking sci-fi fuse will sell like hotcakes. The 500 size electric helis seems to be coming along strong also.
May 14, 2008, 05:05 PM
Richard,

Wow. Just wow. I am continually blown away by the talent of different individuals on this forum, and that's right up there at the top of the "awesome" list. Very cool work. Thanks for sharing!

When I have kids, can I send you their Christmas lists?

- Dave
May 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
I love your designs Richard, the telos is one of my favorite. Although I've shown this picture before it's been awhile and others viewing this thread may like to see it.
I own a corona that I'd like to see fitted up to this. It's popularity seems to have dropped off in the last few years though, so I'm not sure about the market for a corona retrofit. It would be cool looking.
Last edited by rchawks; May 14, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
May 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thread OP

Memories!

How totally cool to see one of my designs still alive!

Thanks for the kind words... I got back into flying a couple of years ago (dabbling really) and over the last few months have gotten heavily back into it to the point where I have at least three designs actually being prototyped and preparing them for production tooling!

If you check out my website, you'll get a peek at what I've been up to... I say: "peek", because over the past 15 years, I've built hundreds of prototypes for a few major toy companies... (built most of the Batmobiles for Mattel, the RC Flying Superman and the new Speed Racer Mach-6)

My RC efforts are heading towards a major revival with some really different original designs and a few scale ships (There's a Blog entry on an OV-10 Bronco kit prototype that I'm having a blast flying)

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

Best,
Richard
May 15, 2008, 02:05 AM
Really incredible stuff. It looks like you have a picture of the production version of that canard toy on your site as the "Max Steele Attack Jet":
http://www.jareldesign.com/product.html
There's not a lot of innovative, cool looking plane/heli designs out these days. I'm excited to see what you come up with!
May 15, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thread OP

Future kits, helicopter bodies and more!

To those of you who have taken the time to stop in and write, thank you for the kind words! To those of you who just stopped by to take a peek, thank you for your "vote" of interest!

Yes, that's the original prototype for the Max Steel Attack Jet... I created a lot of the transforming vehicles for that line of toys. Was afforded a wonderful opportunity to work with a great team of Designers in Los Angeles.

There are a LOT of projects that I am not at liberty to disclose information publicly that also falls into the "Awesome" category... and not all of them are "toys"!

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, I found myself creating RC glider kits and although the public and press were "taken" by my designs, I knew nothing about market research or production... 20 years later, having worked on more films than I can count, creating more prototypes than I can remember and traveling to China to work alongside and in conjunction with manufacturers, I have learned a great deal...

Up until now, I have been quietly observing, reading threads and posts, evaluating interests and potential markets for new products...

I have several RC flying "machines" on the boards that are screaming to be produced and I think there is a market for things that have never been seen before... (I read a lot of posts from modelers yearning for "something different"... There's a line form the movie:"Gladiator": "...I'll give them something they've never seen before..." keeps playing through my head.

What I've shared here here are projects that have already been produced for clients or my own kits, all of which are at least ten years old since their public release... just to give you an idea of what you might expect to see coming out of my studio.

The direction I'm going with RC designs includes the following:

Trainers:
Why does a trainer, have to LOOK like a "trainer"? Yes, there are parameters that truly need to be in place: Slow flying, stable, simple, inexpensive and durable or at least easily and inexpensively replaceable. ...But why does it have to scream out to the rest of the fliers at the field: "Hey! I'm a newbie! You might want to get out of the way cause I don't know how to fly!

When I produced the Shogun, I spent a lot of time trying to talk beginners into NOT purchasing the kit... It was way more than they could handle... They did anyway just for the "cool factor"... So, why not produce a totally cool trainer that even advanced pilots would want to fly just because it was too cool to not have in your hangar?

Scale Planes:
Simple to build! Lots of detail in the moldings and totally easy to fly! I believe that there are a lot of scale planes out there that are flying at supersonic (scale) speeds! I've seen review videos of twin scale planes performing loops and rolls! (laughing to myself here as I have planes that I turn inside out and love doing it! ...but!( When it comes to scale, I personally want them to look like they are real, slow flying, stable, landing gear is a must and preferable retracts...

Helicopter Bodies:
It has been suggested that there is a market out there for wild, innovative helicopter bodies... I had thought about this some time back but after seeing the great scale ships that were already out there, st the idea on the back burner. I recently researched the internet again on who is producing what... Although there are some fantastic scale artists producing beautiful replicas, I did not see anything that falls into what I would consider (After producing spaceships of all kinds, shapes and sizes for the motion picture industry), "outside the box"... If there are Heli pilots out there, I'd love to know what frames/brands, sizes you are flying... Most importantly, how much weight are you willing to carry to fly a design that will knock the socks off your buddies? (I'm assuming that most 3D pilots would rather not carry the weight (I know I feel the same about my 3D rigid wing ships...)

Ok... enough for now... I just completed a project late last night, have one more due Friday and another on Monday! (Yes, toy making and prototype/film work may seem like fun and lord knows, I am ever so grateful to be doing what I love for a living, but I also (often) work 12 to 18 hours a day, 7 days a week until my deadlines are met!

Here's another toy to play with:

The concept was to create a transforming toy: A sled/snowmobile turns into an ultralight by pressing one button. The whole thing can then be pushed back into it's original configuration to repeat the cycle over and over again.

The hardest part was coming up with the spring mechanism to have the wings "Pop" out, yet the fabric would be coiled back into the main frame by a spring device that was counter acting against the popping out motion!

No, it doesn't fly! lol!

Thanks again for your support!

I don't know if there is a way to create a mailing list here (Taking a guess that if you can place your name on my "buddy list" then I will be able to contact you? If so, sign on and I will be glad to include you in a mailing to announce and reveal what comes of all this work...

until then, good flying!

Richard
May 15, 2008, 10:56 AM
coolio
May 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hello Richard,

I just visited your website and saw the Shogun Glider, quite good looking! Is it available somewhere? I would like to have one now that the glider season is nearing here in Quito, Ecuador.

Congratulations on your well done designs.

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
May 15, 2008, 12:14 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design
How totally cool to see one of my designs still alive!
I suspect there are quite a few of your planes, uh, "floating" around. I actually just sold a built Telos to another member of this site, and I have a NIB Telos, Shogun, and Impulse sitting in my shop in the line up for building.
May 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
I suspect there are quite a few of your planes, uh, "floating" around. I actually just sold a built Telos to another member of this site, and I have a NIB Telos, Shogun, and Impulse sitting in my shop in the line up for building.
jeje, there are a few more:
Telos de Miguel Angel (2 min 54 sec)

First flight, sorry for the landing. :-)

Quick Reply