May 16, 2008, 01:41 AM
Using the XDP; when I click on Update Firmware or Change/View Settings the program closes. What's going on?
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2008, 06:25 AM
Thread OP
Mine did that the other night right before my battery went dead. Last night it didnt, and the only difference is I have had to reboot my laptop. Try rebooting and see what that does. Also make sure you have the latest software version.
May 16, 2008, 09:08 AM
Watcher of the void ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
... But I thought I might as well go ahead and post what I have so you guys could proof read for me and make any suggestions as to additions, deletes, edits or ideas.
A great start and I guess there's more to come? Consider adding a depiction of physical and/or functional interfaces to accompany each (sub)section. I.e., (a) the XDP "box" connection via USB/Comm1(?) to the PC and (b) subsequently the functional flow between the XDP and other Xtreme modules for XPS Analyzer, RxDiag, TxDiag, XDP Update, etc.

Mike
May 16, 2008, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Mine did that the other night right before my battery went dead. Last night it didnt, and the only difference is I have had to reboot my laptop. Try rebooting and see what that does. Also make sure you have the latest software version.
Have latest software. Rebooted and reloaded. Charged battery. Works fine with RXDIAG and TXDIAG. XDP still exits when accessed. Any other ideas?
Last edited by skymasterone; May 16, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
May 16, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
A great start and I guess there's more to come? Consider adding a depiction of physical and/or functional interfaces to accompany each (sub)section. I.e., (a) the XDP "box" connection via USB/Comm1(?) to the PC and (b) subsequently the functional flow between the XDP and other Xtreme modules for XPS Analyzer, RxDiag, TxDiag, XDP Update, etc.

Mike
Possibly. I hadnt really given much thought to how far I would take it. I was mainly trying to cover the most common questions I hear people asking here. Putting in a picture of the XDP and the USB cable and a description if the type might not be a bad idea. I could possibly do a functional flow but that would take some time so I will put that on the list as a possible later addition.
May 20, 2008, 12:06 PM
We definitely appreciate what Chris has done. We have not made a full manual yet because the software has not been finalized. The interface and functionality is going to change radically from what you are using now. You will find that every function has "mouse over" help to let you know what each option does, which is sufficient for most people using this product.

The software is getting "localized" so that multiple languages can be supported. This required a complete re-write of all of the programs in the XDP package. With the pending release of the new firmware, the new features for the telemetry package have been added. We expect a mid-June release of the new software and firmware, providing we get a favorable response from the FCC concerning frequency hopping issues.
May 20, 2008, 04:20 PM
Watcher of the void ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
...The interface and functionality is going to change radically from what you are using now.
Great, Jim ... that means Chris will have to start all over again.
May 20, 2008, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymasterone
Using the XDP; when I click on Update Firmware or Change/View Settings the program closes. What's going on?
The problem is that you are using a USB hub. If you plug the XDP into a USB port not connected through a hub, it will work fine.
May 20, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
HA! HA! Its no biggie, I seriously didnt spend that much time on it. Most of it I did from memory and just had to work through it to make the screen shots. Started an FAQ and added the bit about USB hubs and what type of USB cable is needed. If anyone thinks of anything that they would like added let me know.
May 21, 2008, 03:20 AM
Quote:
The problem is that you are using a USB hub. If you plug the XDP into a USB port not connected through a hub, it will work fine.
RXDIAG and TXDIAG work fine. Not plugged into a hub. XDP plugged into front computer USB port. Was working fine. Any other ideas?
May 21, 2008, 04:40 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
Quote:
... Providing we get a favorable response from the FCC concerning frequency hopping issues.
Jim,
Are you saying that only NOW applying for hopping for the system???

Are you serious??

May 21, 2008, 07:01 AM
Chris,

Exceptionally well done - thank you. I have already read it, printed it and installed it in my XPS owners manual three ring binder. Your efforts have improved my overall understanding of the XDP module, the information it provides and how to use it.

I sent the link to this thread to three of my flying compadres who also use XPS equipment. Again, thank you.

Howard
May 21, 2008, 07:56 AM
Watcher of the void ...
Quote:
... Started an FAQ and added the bit about USB hubs and what type of USB cable is needed. If anyone thinks of anything that they would like added let me know.
Documenting the undocumented features (i.e., don't use a USB hub) is the biggest help. Let us know when you push out an update, eh? Much appreciated!
May 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
Bazz
Quote:
HA! HA! Its no biggie, I seriously didnt spend that much time on it. If anyone thinks of anything that they would like added let me know.
Thank you for the excellent job on the XDP Guide- Much appreciated.
May 22, 2008, 10:42 PM
Fly Backwards
I wouldn't worry about needing to rewrite the XDP manual any time soon when waiting on XPS AND the FCC is involved.

Quick Reply