Utah Aerial Photography and FPV - Page 307 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sep 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
Fall Colors (3 min 29 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
More Combat Please!
Wind_of_Change's Avatar
Nice one Mike B. Love it. This thread has been deathly quiet. Glad to see somebody out flying.

I'm massively jealous that you got to fly in the fall colors. I've been off-line for like 4 months since my crash down near Monument Valley. Been trying multi-rotors for 4 months, built four of them, and crashed them all. I don't have a problem flying them, they're easy to fly, I just can't build one that's reliable.

So I'm taking a break for a bit and working on something with wings that doesn't have 418 fail points like multi-rotors.

Just gotta mount the motor and my new Hercules Pusher FPV will be ready to maiden. Hopefully be able to post some new footage in a few weeks. Hopefully there'll still be some color in the leaves when I get up into the mountains.
Sep 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Davidpe's Avatar
Awesome video. Where are you guys flying your wings? I live in Cortonwood Heights and would like to hook up with someone local. I also have an FPV quad.
Sep 30, 2012, 01:05 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
Ya,

It's sure been quiet in here.

I had to tear parts off of the hex in order to build the F wing, but I finally got both of them running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change
Nice one Mike B. Love it. This thread has been deathly quiet. Glad to see somebody out flying.

I'm massively jealous that you got to fly in the fall colors. I've been off-line for like 4 months since my crash down near Monument Valley. Been trying multi-rotors for 4 months, built four of them, and crashed them all. I don't have a problem flying them, they're easy to fly, I just can't build one that's reliable.

So I'm taking a break for a bit and working on something with wings that doesn't have 418 fail points like multi-rotors.

Just gotta mount the motor and my new Hercules Pusher FPV will be ready to maiden. Hopefully be able to post some new footage in a few weeks. Hopefully there'll still be some color in the leaves when I get up into the mountains.

I'm in North Ogden

There are 4 of us up here flying FPV, but right now I am the only one who is very active...

Nate is in Kaysville, and he is quite an active flier also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe
Awesome video. Where are you guys flying your wings? I live in Cortonwood Heights and would like to hook up with someone local. I also have an FPV quad.
Me and Nate got up to Mantua today and got in some great flying...

Mountain FPV Hexacopter (4 min 42 sec)
Sep 30, 2012, 01:15 AM
Registered User
Davidpe's Avatar
That's great. If you guys don't mind, let me know when you go out again and I'll join you.
Sep 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe
That's great. If you guys don't mind, let me know when you go out again and I'll join you.
That would be great.

I'm pretty sure that I am going down to Southern Utah this next week, but Next weekend should be open for some FPV activity; "Weather Permitting".
Sep 30, 2012, 01:31 AM
Registered User
Davidpe's Avatar
Ok, count me in. Thanks.
Sep 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Registered User
UTrider's Avatar
So I'm way amature compared to most of you on here. I don't have any FPV gear, and only fly my quad where I can see it. I'm also just starting out. So this week I thought I'd head to one of the city park while all the kids were in school and practice a little in keeping it steady and having it actually go where I want it to.

Storm Drone FF on the playground (2 min 5 sec)


Like I said . . . . I'm just learning and practicing!
Sep 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
wheeeeee!
elCapitan's Avatar
For all y'all that care about making sure the future of FPV is protected in some way...
http://www.nextgov.com/defense/2012/...-caucus/58442/
Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
Registered User
**Ariel Video Opportunity tomorrow at 9am near Lehi**

Hey guys I have a friend who is doing some filming for a college project. He sent me the following via email:

"We're filming a stagecoach out by Lehi this Thursday from 9-11am, we need an rc pilot to do a quick fly over. They could use my supercub and gopro if that would help."

This is a volunteer opportunity. I would do it but I'll be working. Sounds like fun if someone is available.

Contact Brent at

brentseavers at gmail dot com
Oct 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
BlenderBoy's Avatar
Do any of you guys use dragonlink?

I'm looking to start doing fpv and will be purchasing the dragonlink.

I'm new to fpv, and not sure what all I need to purchase to be up and running with fpv?

Any help would be great.
Oct 14, 2012, 07:06 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
What video frequency are you going to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78
Do any of you guys use dragonlink?

I'm looking to start doing fpv and will be purchasing the dragonlink.

I'm new to fpv, and not sure what all I need to purchase to be up and running with fpv?

Any help would be great.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
BlenderBoy's Avatar
Not sure, I am completely new to fpv. What would you suggest to start with?

I like the fact that the dragonlink has a 15 mile range.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
BlenderBoy's Avatar
I will be using a Jr11x for the radio if that helps. Not sure if there is interference with 2.4ghz or not.
Oct 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
Registered User
Davidpe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78
Do any of you guys use dragonlink?

I'm looking to start doing fpv and will be purchasing the dragonlink.

I'm new to fpv, and not sure what all I need to purchase to be up and running with fpv?

Any help would be great.
I use the Dragonlink system and love it. It's super simple and I have never had it fail. I'm currently using a Futaba 9CAP tx and plug a Futaba trainer cord from the DL transmitter into the 9CAP. It's plug and play and makes it really easy.

I noticed you asked about video tx freqs. I use both a 5.8 setup and a 1.3. My 5.8 is a quick and easy solution for shorter range flying. I have it hooked up just using a pair of Fatshark goggles using a set of blue-beam antennas. As for the 1.3ghz, I use this on my wing and get great results for longer ranges. I use a patch antenna on the ground and a V in the air.

I have always purchased my Dragonlink equipment direct. Readymaderc.com is now also carrying their complete package but I think Tim is out of sock on the DL right now.

http://www.dragonlinkstore.com/v2/node/32

The $269 package has everything you need to get started. The only thing that you need to decide is how long of an antenna cable you need based on your application. Really easy.

I would be happy to help with any other questions. I'm sure the other guys on this forum will also have some good info.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital cameraes used for aerial photography JensJakob Electric Plane Talk 22 Jan 22, 2014 10:41 AM
Best Camera for aerial photography? BillH Electric Plane Talk 26 Dec 11, 2010 08:14 AM
Aerial Photography dstout Parkflyers 10 May 13, 2002 04:15 PM
Best plane for aerial photography dgtaylor Electric Plane Talk 18 Oct 01, 2001 03:21 AM
Aerial photography - first attempts leccyflyer Electric Plane Talk 11 Jul 29, 2001 04:20 PM