May 11, 2008, 09:54 AM
MDKing
Thread OP
Discussion

Info on Horizon Hobbies

Does anyone know the Name of Horizon's President/CEO and his email /phone number? I'm having a bit of a problem with some of his assoc. and I would like so much to, as my fater use to say, "GO TO THE MF IN CHARGE"

So, if anyone could help me, I would be grateful.

MDKing
[email protected]
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
Lou
Lou
You can try their : Main Phone: (217) 352-1913

and start from there. Generally speaking, the general public will not have direct access to a CEO. You start at the main published number and then move onward. Sometimes asking for Personnel will get a lot of excitement going also.

What did they do to get your dander up?
May 20, 2008, 01:24 PM
MDKing
Thread OP
Follow up.
I have called and emailed Mike Gillette, President CEO of Horizon 3 times each, and he still will not, Down right refuses, to call be back, even thought I have talked and emailed with this people. I have asked to just be able to give my side of this tale, still nothing. So If you use JR equipment 72MHZ and you got them from Horizon, That big price tag you paid isn't for coustomer service, they could care less about you. I'm putting this on the Zone so maybe if enought people sees this, they may email Mr. Gillette and ask him what his problem is [email protected]
My name is Dwayne King
I live in Sherman TX, and like most flyers, I can't afford losing planes because of piss poor equipment. I had an R700 that I got new, put in a plane\ mini Ultra and it lasted 45 sec before it rolled over on it's back and came in. NOTHING I did on the radio would made a change. I sent it in and it came back with a "good as new" letter attached . I put it in a 40 size Big Stick and it did the same thing. According to Horizon, it had a split crystal and Heavy vibration was makeing it loose it's signal. (Did I mention I fly Electric everything) there is no or very little vibration. In these crashes I lost a Maxamp 3s1P 2200 20C pack and in the 40 Size, I lost a 4S1P EVO 3300 20C pack, motor AVI4030, shaft was bent.
In both crashes, I have lost around 600 bucks. and they admit that the receiver isn't good, but they say so sorry. JR, Horizon both don't know anything about customer service.

Mark Dwayne King
Sherman TX
May 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
What would you like him to do? If you want them to replace the planes, no one does that. Horizon has the best service department in the industry. As a dealer for them for over 10 years I can attest to that. Your beef is with the service guy, call and talk to him. His name is on the repair letter sent to you. His job is not customer service and I'll bet your conversations with Horizon may have gotten hot, and if that is the case why would he want to get in the middle of it. Dennis
May 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe you need an intermediary, now: sometimes that helps both parties.
May 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
MDKing
Thread OP

Follow up

I still haven't hear from Mike Gilette, I have 12 emails, from both Beverly Huffman and Shane Stoneceipher, I sent 3 emails to Mr. Gilette, and have called twice.
I don't expect them to replace my planes, I do want some satisfaction thou. I have a loss of 600 bucks in Lipo and planes because of one of the receivers they sale. After the first crash, I sent it in for repair/replacement. It came back with a clean bill of health. What would you have done. I used it in the second plane, With the same results. I have flown JR for over 5 years. They are more expensive than other brands, and I thought that was "The Cadilac" I have paid high costs for receivers and the radios. I have pulled all the JR receivers out of all my planes and sold 13 of them. and both radios. for less than half of what I paid for them to get rid of them. You are entitled to your opinion, but what would you do if this was your loss, I have followed the guidelines, but my loss is personal. I don't have money running out my waszoo, and I can't afford these types of losses because of Horizons low respect for customers. Sisyphus, I would appreciate any intervention you could supply or would want to help with, Dadstoysbg, please don't take this as Me whining, I have invested alot of time and effort in trying to get Horizon to just be fair. I will not recommend JR or Horizon to anyone getting into RC because of this.

Mark Dwayne King
Sherman TX
Last edited by MDKING; May 21, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
May 21, 2008, 08:41 PM
Lou
Lou
Mark,,, I am not sure what you expect .... read my first post again, are you really surprised that you did not hear from the CEO? You have gotten 12 emails from 2 HH reps; what was their offer? What did they ask of you or tell you? We are only hearing one side of the story and that side is yours.

I understand your monetary loss, I would not be happy either. You state that you don't expect HH to replace your planes so, what the heck do you want from them? Sounds to me that HH is eternally behind your 8 ball and you have set up a catch-22 situation where HH can not possibly win.

You certainly did not help your cause when you posted the CEO email address in hopes that enough people will ask him what 'his problem is'. He does not have a problem, he is the CEO. You have the problem and you need to deal at the proper levels to get help with your problems.

You say that you cannot afford the loss yet you have sold at a loss some of your JR equipment. What gives on that, I do not get the reasoning behind that move. So what do you want ... is it a public apology from the CEO?

What will probably be your best recourse is small claims court. If you have the receipts and the documents to show that their equipment caused you a monetary loss then you may, maybe, might recoupe the loss of your two planes. Outside of that, the most that any of us can probably expect from any vendor, in a similar situation, is the replacement of the original offending part; in this case the receiver.

Not trying to rag on you Mark and rest assured that I am not a fan boi of HH or JR. All I see here is a lose-lose situation for you and HH.
May 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
You have showed no proof that the receiver is bad. Send it to Radio South and see what they say. To be honest with you, if you can't afford to lose a plane for any reason you shouldn't be flying them in the first place. I just lost a 38% on the first flight. This was a first for me. I'm not on the boards blasting anybody, just went out and ordered another one. I know why it went in and the next one will be different. In all the years as a dealer when tech tells me its good then I would look else where for the problem. Your flying electric, there's lots of reasons for your loss. Use Futaba or Airtronics but quit whining. Don't mean to sound rude but this thread has no meaning. The CEO of Horizon runs the business, and yes i have talked to him. But he doesn't fix radios. Dennis
May 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
I think we should have some sympathy for this guy, regardless of how he has gone about trying to deal with it. His father gave him "mixed" advice: finding the guy in charge is fine, but try not to inflame him or her (I'm not saying you did or didn't)-using the term "MF" implies a bit of a fight.

Maybe we can find a way to help him?

Now, I've lost so many planes from "mysterious" causes that I can't count them. But, then I'm not on a budget-the latter often is a real rub.

How can we help this fellow?
May 22, 2008, 12:42 PM
Lou
Lou
Sisyphus .... I am more confused now than before. Is this guy a minor, a child? You said he got mixed advice from his father. If so he needs to get his parents help. If he is a minor, he sure does have a lot of money to be buying the toys he does have.

If he is an adult, well he is on his own. He should know better than to go full guns at someone or an organization; especially when one is asking for something or asking for compensation. If he is an adult, then I would suggest that he eat a bit of crow and approach HH with a different attitude.

I have to agree with Dadstoybg, what I see at this moment is a lot of whinning. What did HH offer to do in this situation? As Dennis mentioned; a lot of other things could have caused those crashes. Now, if he took that receiver and gave it to someone to try in their plane, using their radio and the plane burned in; then yes, one could say that it was a receiver problem.

Now, it is not like I have not been in his shoes before. There have been times when I had to calm down, regroup and eat a bit of crow. An apology to the people you have offended and groveling can go a long way in resolving an issue.
May 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
I believe he is due some compensation from the hobby company. He needs the documentation stating the equipment was defective and documentation of the planes estimated value. Pictures and listings from advertisments would be acceptable. Realistically, he could only recover the monetary value of his planes and not the time and effort put into their construction (hobby).

He needs to file in Small Claims Court. He has a right to recoup the monetary value of his aircraft due to the hobby store's defective product.
May 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidcanary
I believe he is due some compensation from the hobby company. He needs the documentation stating the equipment was defective and documentation of the planes estimated value. Pictures and listings from advertisments would be acceptable. Realistically, he could only recover the monetary value of his planes and not the time and effort put into their construction (hobby).

He needs to file in Small Claims Court. He has a right to recoup the monetary value of his aircraft due to the hobby store's defective product.

Good Luck with that.No hobby vendor in their right mind will cover crash damage to airframes regardless of cause. Too many people in this hobby (Original poster probably not included) who don't do range checks,power system or structures checks and then crash due to equipment failure, dumb thumbs or just flying beyond their personal skills and then blame "Someone else" for their own foibles.
Sympathies to the OP for his loss but it's a hobby with built in attrition.Get used to it or find a different hobby.I hear golf is relaxing...

Ghost
May 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
Going to court is the answer to everything. "It's not my fault" Do we really believe that Horizon checked his receiver and sent it back with a broken crystal and told him it was good? Or was the crystal broke in the second crash. Dennis
May 22, 2008, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoysbg
Going to court is the answer to everything. "It's not my fault" Do we really believe that Horizon checked his receiver and sent it back with a broken crystal and told him it was good? Or was the crystal broke in the second crash. Dennis

No, lawsuits are awful. I spent 40 years in the field, on the defense side, and I still have nightmares.

I agree that this fellow needs to "eat some crow," but how can we help him in approaching Horizon?

Should he ask for discounts (to cost) to replace equipment?

Horizon's liability insurer would like retain someone to defend any suit so I don't see that as a real anwer.

Of course, he would be faced with the consequential damages rule, too.

There must be something we can do to help if he agrees to put a lid on it!
May 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
Filing a claim in court is not the answer to everything, but it is there for people who feel they have suffered loss due to defective equipment that was purchased in good faith. This hobby has an inherent risk of loss due to numerous unforeseen circumstances. That fact in itself does not shield hobby stores from compensation due to defective merchandise.

I fail to see how this person should be accused of just blaming someone else when in this case, someone else my very well be at fault. I refuse to give up my rights as a consumer simply because I am involed in this hobby.

If this person were to file a claim , I am sure the hobby store would finally do as they should have in the first place and try to make this customer at least somewhat happy. I feel the anger in the part of the poster is not mainly due to the monetary loss, but the complete dismissal of his grievance by the hobby company and subsequent silence.
Last edited by rabidcanary; May 22, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply