View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Mr Bill, LOL, thats a bit of new culture for me to absorb.

ASK-13, I believe they are used for combat if this picture is correct, no wonder Jeff is interested in building one. Sean you should have told us all this AFTER you sent Wylie his O3.

The boss and I are about to go and re-maiden the rebuilt O3 very shortly, weather is clear with light NE wind but bloody humid.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2009, 10:02 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
Since he likes to collect, perhaps you could convince your boss to pick up a full scale version for you to scratch the itch with!
I wish. He won't buy a vintage woodie though. Not sleek and fast enough for his liking.

BTW: Thank you Jeff............for the insult! In my younger days I turned out scratch built woodies twice a day.......while I was walking the 40 miles to school.....up hill both way..........in the snow!

Really folks, I am not usually slow, and have built a few in record time. Just the last year has had some, well, interesting deviations. Mostly good events but a ton of stuff happening. If a deal I am working on right now goes through, I may not be getting much of anything period done for a couple of months. After that , watch out!

Also have to do a good bit of RC stuff at work too so sometimes, when I come home I just can't get motivated in my shop.

Now, talk about it? Yep, I can do that day and night. Ask my wife.
Feb 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
I need some building time in t
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
BTW: Thank you Jeff............for the insult! In my younger days I turned out scratch built woodies twice a day.......while I was walking the 40 miles to school.....up hill both way..........in the snow!
You have to remember that if I don't give you a hard time then someone else that's not nearly as nice about it will!

You know that I've been on a building spree lately and I think I've figured out why. All that time at work for the last couple of years had kept me from doing much of anything when it comes to building. I'm just making up for lost time is all! Now when work picks up again I won't have to worry about building and I can just go fly. Or come down there and give you a hard time in person. I'm pretty sure Hoss will give me a hand should we both show up at the same time. (boy... will you be in trouble when that happens!)

Now... Where am I going to mount those guns on the ASK-13?
Feb 19, 2009, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Interesting deviations, yes that part was believable.

The Oly flew at the River Heads rec reserve as if it had never been in several distinct pieces 6 weeks ago. Its the same old helium filled hard cranking O3 ready to rise on any fart of lift, no real trimming today needed. CG and hook were about 7mm ahead of plan and the wind was 3-5 knots steady NE.

What a glider, tough as old nails and a real performer even after the repairs added 20g of weight, it still just hangs in the air as if on hooks when the headwind is lift neutral. We did some TD tasks in which it did itself proud in the patchy lift.

Thanks guys for your encoragment to get on and do a rebuild, if not for your words i might have put the rebuild off. I'm glad i didn't.
Feb 19, 2009, 02:49 AM

Maiden

Hey Steve that is great news glad to hear she flew as well as before, I had no doubts that it would.... enjoy and lets have no more excitement such as that...

On another note... Sean me boy you just keep onna being Sean and Do'nt listen to any of these guys, I've got a special friend that I can call to keep em off of ya if need be.....

Best Regards,

Wylie E. Coyote,

P.S. At least until after he ship me my OLY3.....
Feb 19, 2009, 06:54 AM
Steve,

Glad to hear it's back in the air! From my experience, most sailplanes need a good beating before they fly right. I've got several that were pretty wiped out that I swear fly much better now than before.

Jeff,

I have been way busy at work and with my wife's new office building so that is part of the excuse as to why this Oly has taken me forever. I know what you mean though, gotta take the time to get them together when you can. Also, I've been hording, trading, buying kits, electronics, sub-assemblies and building materiels for a while now in anticipation of an upcoming move that my wife and I are working towards. If all goes well there won't be much spare cash for RC for about a year and a half. I'll have more time but less play money for a bit. In the longrun I should be in great shape but this deal may put RC splurging on the backburner for a while.

Wylie, please send a photo of this "buddy" you keep telling me about. I maybe able to just forward the photo to hese guys to keep them off my back. "Superior results through intimidation"!
Feb 19, 2009, 08:58 AM
Silent Wings

YeeHaww!

Steve
Great news! The gifted bird is back in the air. Just keep it away from that toe pecking turkey.

Don
Suppose this person that is going to back up Sean has ever been to Texas?
Forgedaboudit

Gerald....just about finished with my Oly
Feb 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
I need some building time in t
Glad to hear the re-maiden went so well Steve! We're going to have to rename that particular Oly3 "Timex" It takes a licking and keeps on ticking! BUT you forgot the #1 rule. Where's a picture of the rebuilt bird?
Feb 19, 2009, 10:18 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Steve, very proud of your sticktoitiveness. Congrats on your Oly rebuild. A feather for your cap AND for Ray's for designing a gossamer tank like the O3.

You know Gerald, I don't think ANY of these boys has ever had a good ole fashion Texas ass whompin, do you? . I know I have .
Feb 19, 2009, 01:32 PM

Texas

Wylie, please send a photo of this "buddy" you keep telling me about. I maybe able to just forward the photo to hese guys to keep them off my back. "Superior results through intimidation"!

SEAN, Sorry no pic's this guys in stealth mode so's he can sneak up on em

Suppose this person that is going to back up Sean has ever been to Texas?
Forgedaboudit

Oldcoot --- Yep this guys been to Texas!! in fact he is a true blue native of Texas down near Castroville way....

Wylie E. Coyote
Feb 19, 2009, 04:43 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
The technique I tried to prebend the bottom leading edge sheeting has worked really well. I am quite satisfied. Although balsa, like most things, especially our more important halves [GIRLS!], is not entirely cooperative, my results were very acceptable.

I took a very damp washcloth and did the bottom a fair amount more than the upper side, although the upper was definitely DAMP. Weighed the whole wing down and shimmed up the sheeting with some 1/16th scrap strips then little eight inch strips, then a piece of triangle stock I had. Anything will do I think as long as you don't try to do it with one piece of stuff, but several pieces gradually. The wait period is the only hangup if you are in some hurry; I think 2 days is almost a minimum depending on your local humidity. Anyway, it came out almost perfectly curved to meet the rib bottoms, and the minor bits were very easy to shim up when it came time to glue up. This is definitely on my SHOULD do list from now on.

Since I live in Central Arizona, I am having a hard time talking myself out of making a quick trip down to the SWC in Queen Creek this weekend to make a humble incognito visit to all those incredible sailplanes and pilots that I have had the honor to see here on RCG. Mere words cannot do justice to my awe. Maybe the man who shreds us all needs a timer for ONE day. LOL! LYA.
Feb 19, 2009, 07:07 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thats good advice GD, if it works for you I'll be trying it on my 2M Bird and Marauder builds this year.

LMAO guys, 'Timex', 'gifted bird', 'sticktoitiveness' (must be a good ol' Texas saying), 'gossamer tank' all very colorful.

As for a good ol' Texas ass wompin, I've had a Texan skipper cause me some damage, due to the bottle!!!! - does that count?

Jeff, the rebuilt bird looks just the same as before bar a tiny overlap of film on the transparent wing films where the breaks were rejoined. There's the obvious advantage of solid film colours over transparent, you don't see any film overlap without investigating.
Y'all have seen my Oly plenty on this thread, so here's a pic of my canopy hatch magnet arrangment instead. And some others from the guys (hope thats ok fella's). Great idea, seemed to work supremo yesterday and is oh so much better than stuffing around with pins you can loose in the weeds.
Feb 19, 2009, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Gerald, hey we are erecting a grandstand and are firing up the BBQ and bar in anticipation at the field mate. Great to hear the quiet achievers out there are kicking goals, we are rooting for you and the new O3 on its maiden flights.
Feb 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
Well Steve, a good ole Texas ass whoopin can take any forms: A good fist fight, an all night drinking bout and well, I used to date this very tall blonde from Texas that could...........uh, well, I got my ass whooped anyway.
Feb 20, 2009, 09:34 AM
Silent Wings
Thanks Steve.
Set 'em up for me 'cause I know I'm gonna' be shakin' in my boots for that first flight. We've all been there, but it seems that the first one on a newbie is tough. The handlaunch test is not my problem...it's putting that beauty on the winch and hoping for the best. We'll see. Balancing it all out today, then some pics.

Don
Yup, been thar done that! Suppose that's what makes us so humble?

Sean
Danged if I don't think we knew the same gal......

Gerald

Quick Reply