View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Speed cost money.
Katie,.
Enerloops are a NMHI battery that is Low self discharge that is why we all like them so much. 2000 MAH and thye hold it if you do not fly for a long time they are still good to go.

The wall charger works just fine with them. But what I did not see mentioned short of your 8 Hour comment is that with the 2000MAH as compared to the stock 600-800 MAH packs it will take a long time to get a full charge on them... Most wall chargers are around 50 MAH per hour. Thus 1200 MAH per day. It is ok to let them overcharge for a while at that low of a charge rate. So if you have a completely discharged pack you may need to charge it for 2 whole days. Maybe that is why you are not getting a full day out of them.

I have a futaba 9c with synth module (power hungry setup) and I get more then 4 hours of on time off a single charge. If I take out the synth I think I get closer to 6-8 hours or flight time on a charge.

I use the wall charger to charge them unless I am in a hurry. If I am I use my flight pack charger at 1 AMP and let it go for about 30-60 min. Only good for 1/2 charge but easier on the packs and it will get me through the rest of the day. Then back to the wall charger for 24-48 hours to be ready for the next flight day.

Highflier
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Speed cost money.
Oh forget to mention that I made a plug so that I could use my flight p[ack charger on a TX...

Highflier
Oct 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
The wall charger only charges the regular, no tails attached, non-RC stuff AAs. It's the kind with slots, you snap them in, watch the little light blink. That kind. I can't use that to charge anything RC, certainly not my big 2000 MaH pack.

The Tx pack goes into the Tx and has its own dedicated, proprietary wall adaptor. Orrrr, if somedummy forgets her wall adaptor, and needs to charge on the fly, so to speak, I can take the pack out and use the regular RC-stuff charger and its car battery clip. That one measures charge rate and stuff.

I have an RC-type charger coming that will roast a goose while dancing a jig as it charges either my RC stuff or my regular, standard, no tails attached AAs. 'Nuff said, right?
Oct 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
≡LSF8067≡
I'm sorry, G Don, I get to buzz this and couple other forums I belong to just a peek at a time and have to skim rapidly. Duh, the blue and yellow is not a Pgon as I assumed. But it is a stylin ship for sure. Yup, you put some modern gear in it and you would have a great e-floater.
Oct 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
I wished i had the time to do the changes to that e bird, just way too many other things going on right now, even have a e paragon all framed up need to make a nice long swoopy nose for it so it looks like a std one.

Working on a display case for my models now 20 ft long with 4 shelfs, making 4 lights to light it up through the clear doors on a dimmer.

Having some glue chipped glass panels made for each light to kinda trick them up a bit.

G Don
Oct 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Ah, there is another trick to wall wort's. Who says you must use a stock hobby 50ma output. Go to an electronic store or buy online for the specs you want. Your input is 110vac and for output the same output voltage per TX or RX as your hobby unit but at a mah rate that you want per your desired C rate. For Eneloop packs that would 200mah at C10 or 1000mah/1amp for quick charge. Note many are dual rates so if you need both TX and RX, then you will need two different units.
Some wall warts are also multi output.

This is what I have been using for decades, and built from a kit form. Still works like day one;
There are also some that also have 110vac imput
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1686871

Jared
Oct 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Yakety Yakety! Do you fellas realize your runnin' 2 pages per day?!
I'M Proud of ya'll!
Somethin' pretty cool about G Don's old birds, they still in non antique- classic- condition, not at all like the 1973 mill I'm workin' with!
Johnny
Oct 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Yep CC

The 70's design's were the cats arse, just pure sailplane looks and great to fly too.

G Don
Oct 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Thanks for reminding me!

I thought they were Jeff's Paragons at first too. I meant to say "Awesome job, GDon!".
Oct 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
I need some building time in t
YUp... There were some really great designs back then for sure. Granted there were some that were not so great, but with modern materials and building styles I bet even some of the "lead sleds" could be turned into real floaters that could scream off a winch. Once that buy out goes through, I'm going to be hunting for some of those 70s classics and put my theory to the test. Someting like an Andromeda or Gemini MTS modded with Drella airfoils could be very sweet.
Oct 10, 2012, 09:29 PM
I need some building time in t
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Thanks for reminding me!

I thought they were Jeff's Paragons at first too. I meant to say "Awesome job, GDon!".
I ALWAYS do my Paragons in red because we all know red flies better!
Oct 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Yeah I was guilty of vexed vision too, and after all, those birds were not some black based evil looking scheme so how could they be Jeff's!

GDon re the U2's; You genuine old farts had all the fun back in the last century, no wonder the kids of today are fubar from facebook and all the rest of the technology fat arsed based entertainment rubbish, they don't have half the fun ground breaking innovative stuff your generation had, and today in any industry it takes a thousand people to achieve what 10 people could do back in 1960. Then again, they don't sleep with the spectre of thermonuclear annihalation hanging over their heads as much as my or your generations either.

I sir, am impressed by your life and the many things you have seen and done.
Oct 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Oh yeah, you guys gotta STOP spamming this thread, it's tight reputation will become at risk of convolution. Strength through Joy!!!!!

Actually I know that this idea just doesn't work, we tried it before. The subject of woody sailplanes just presents to much fun to be ignored, it's not just like we are banging out some mouldie fit out is it, you put a lot of yourself into a wooden build and .... Guess I should shut my trap before my enthusiasm for philosophy outdoes my given level of intelligence..
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: stupid brain
Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Katie, find some dollars for a real charger, it will be your best friend and a comfort to your soul.

edit; ok she is getting one, my dumb thumbs go further than the Tx, and onto the keyboard. oh noo!
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
Oct 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
who has rabbit ears down
If I dig really really hard, I could show ya a gull winged Paragon- I was a young dumb one then----

Quick Reply