Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 06, 2012, 12:14 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
I jump in the truck catch him and ask why he doesn't drive the D5 back over since we'll need it to push the dirt back into the hole.

"It's already over there".

"Where?"

"In the hole."

He gets in and we drive over there. We needed a hole about the size of a smaller mobile home to dump everything. He excavated an underground parking garage. Even the D5 looked small down in there.

No harm, no foul but, talk about results.
LMAO, great story, Sean, I got a belly laugh out of that one . Steve's right, some of these young mavs have great want to. Some of them also need a snaffle bit in their mouth .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Steve, I have a buddy that's got a foamie EP U2 of around 2M. Over the last year every time he comes to the field he flies it instead of his other stuff. The darn thing thermals just fine. He loves it. He's now scratch building a woodie version at about 3M with some TD airfoil. That ought to be a hoot.

Yeah Don, most guys his age I meet are real mouth breathers. He is totally opposite.

He has a girlfriend that is absolutely stunning. She's from Thailand and is going to college here at UWF to finish up her Masters. They just got engaged. I don't know whether to envy him for the score or cry at the thought of losing him when they move.
Oct 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Katie and all!
yepper- I have Lots of plans-but I've been so scatterbrained from a focus point, that it's like my Norwejian brain- all lutefisk!
any way, I'm doing up a new thermal) which will definately bear Sarah's name- a 2 meter C, with a 7% MH 32, and yet to be determined canard foil.
I have the 'original' Sir Regis, with a 3" max (as crash pic) fuse-@ 56 " length, which I'm making more skinny due to not needed space, and wanting to compete with the high end birds- MRCSS MoM contest type! ohh yeah- like I'm really gonna give the 14th place @ Nats a ride for his money! there's that troll- dreaming agin' _Brewers will get clarity- lots of double found in search now
Don't throw those old cassette tapes away, I use them for showing me the tip vortexes, with minimal "drag of a flag" changing the outcome- LD etc.
'nuff yakin' more viewing!
Oct 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
life long racing nut & modeler

U2 live

Hi Steve

I was in the California Air National Guard at the Van Nuys Airport in the mid 60's, right across form us was the Lockeed hanger and we were close to the end of the runway.

They would tow the U2 over there and light it off and he only wen't about 600 - 800 ft for roll out and pull the stick back and be gone, you could look at your watch and in less than 60 seconds he would be out of sight.

Then a jeep would go pick up the wing tip wheels and hardly anybody would see them take off, neat looking bird for sure.

G Don
Oct 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
Another thermalable (is that a word?) warbird that would be neat to build for giggles is the Lockheed YO-3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YO-3

So ugly it's cool and it's heritage comes from the Shweizer 2-32 sailplane. I was at Ft. Rucker taking a tour of the museum with a retired Army aviator when he struck up a conversation with the curator. We were given access to go look around in the storage hangar which isn't open to the public. Walked past some really weird stuff including an Inflate-a-plane and some really odd experimental birds. As I got to the back of the hangar I noticed some long, slim sexy sailplane wings poking out from behind another airplane. Walked over and it was a YO-3. Check it out. No, not as good looking as the U2 but the more I stared at the real one the more I thought..........................
Oct 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Kim out at the Visailia Fall Soaring Festival, and having a BLAST! the Gentle Lady, oddly enough, hasn't made a landing IN the landing field yet, but that's OK. The Spirit Elite did, though, with a 9:12 out of ten minutes, all the time accidentally (and unknowingly) in speed mode. Whoops! I need to reattach the Spirit's H-stab, but it's all good.

There are hundreds of planes here!

Oct 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Thanks, Cap'n! If I don't say I downloaded them Monday, remind me. Cool!
Oct 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Oct 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
Katie,

If you go back out tomorrow look around for a guy named Randy Everly. If you see him mention that I said he sucks on the sticks.

Actually we're really close friends and he's stationed over there. He flies better when he's in a pissed off mood. Tell hm I'm only trying to help.

Oct 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
Cheers Captain Canardly! I do like the odd foamy but wood is just that much nicer to work with, better to fly as well IMO.

Steve - Its actually registered in my brothers name, still have to transfer it over. For now only the Lee Enfield is gracing my safe

Seeing as I'm in the pictures mood... heres one of me flying the full size (yes, shes a woody!) this time last week:

- boingk
Forgot till just now to comment on this one. Boingk, what are you flying in this photo?
Oct 06, 2012, 08:33 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Hey, Sean! Your balloon-wheeled Cub is here in Visalia doing touch-n-gos. Our motel is RIGHT by the airport. Lemme see if I can get a picture......

Edit: nope, I got outside and he's done. Bummer.

I was told today that a number of participants flew in. I wonder if it IS the same Cub? If so, that underbelly baggage bin would be full of models.

More model mayhem tomorrow. It was around 105 today. Yuck! I drank 6 or more of those 17oz water bottles, and have a splitting headache 'cause it wasn't enough.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Oct 06, 2012, 09:35 PM
I need some building time in t
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Well, I've been reading the book by Ben Rich lately and you know what, I think, Jeff, you could give birth to a kind of RC thermal woody "Skunk Works" out on the remote plains of Arizona. Time will tell.
You're closer to the mark than you think my friend!!! Check your PMs and remember that "Mum's the word" at this point till I get the details worked out.

Sean: Give me a call when you have a chance. I want to run over the idea I just PMd to Steve. Since you're here in the states it's easier to call. I just never know when the best time to call you is.
Oct 06, 2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot
Hey, Sean! Your balloon-wheeled Cub is here in Visalia doing touch-n-gos. Our motel is RIGHT by the airport. Lemme see if I can get a picture......

Edit: nope, I got outside and he's done. Bummer.

I was told today that a number of participants flew in. I wonder if it IS the same Cub? If so, that underbelly baggage bin would be full of models.

More model mayhem tomorrow. It was around 105 today. Yuck! I drank 6 or more of those 17oz water bottles, and have a splitting headache 'cause it wasn't enough.
Wouldn't be that one Katie. If he headed your way when he left me and flew non-stop to you (impossible, he'd need fuel several times) it would take him around 25 hours give or take, add in fuel and sleep he wouldn't get there till tomorrow if he was lucky.
Oct 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Yeah, I figured. One JUST like it, though. I had to laugh when I saw it.
Oct 06, 2012, 10:47 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Hey Katie, great photo, and I'm sorry to say that obviously I won't be able to make it to Visalia. I had hoped to stop by in Turlock as that is where my in-laws live, but it turns out that they are in Cambria for the weekend, so even less reason to go! Oh well, perhaps next year...

Oh, by the way, mixing in a little wine in the evening has a medicinal effect - helps to rehydrate, relieve stress (if you have any ), and help you sleep well. At least it seems to have that effect on me!

Have a great day tomorrow, and any pics that you have the chance to post are greatly appreciated, in advance!

Rob

Quick Reply