View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 06, 2010, 12:36 PM
That looks big enough to build a full scale OLY III in.

Just throwin' it out there.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2010, 02:09 PM
registered weapon
I saw an ad for a talkin dog the other day while driving thru Montana... stopped to see what it was all about. Rang the door and the guy said the dog was around back. When I went to the back yard the yellow lab was lying on the porch in the sun...So your a talking dog eh? "Yep" said the dog. I almost fell over, I couldn't believe what I saw/heard.
"So what's your story"? I asked. He told me he used to work for the CIA as a dog spy and sit in on meetings gaining intel cause no one would believe a dog could talk... Then he said he worked for airport security hangin around suspicious characters listening in on their dealings and assisting the police in making drug busts... Then I meet a nice female lab and had a liter of pups. Now I'm retired.
I just couldn't believe this and went back and asked the guy how much he wanted for the dog? "Ten bucks" he replied...
Ten bucks is all you want for a talking dog? Why only ten dollars? I asked
He looked at me and said... Because he's a liar... he never did any of that s**t
Mar 06, 2010, 05:59 PM
Tunabiker

Spar Construction

I got a Lil Bird kit from Ray and as he suggested, want beefy spars for the center panels. I got 3/8" .060 (1/16") carbon and some 1/16" (.060) ply to laminate together. Now, the question becomes, how do I cut 3/8" strips from the sheet of 1/16" ply to make the spars? I'm finding that neither free hand nor a metal ruler work for my X-acto #11 blades. Any suggestions? I need 4 pieces to go to the ~20" carbon.
Bill
Mar 06, 2010, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hi Bill, I would think about using maybe a fine tooth jigsaw blade, and an adjustable parallel feed guide for the 1/16" thick ply sheet laminates to keep their width accurate.

Sounds good and strong! - I absolutely love my 2m Lil Bird, strengthened the wings also and no winch can bust it. Its a lot like the O3 to build too, simple and strong.
Mar 06, 2010, 07:42 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
a small fridge...and, oh yeah, the single lady that used to own it

You would be welcome Don, the good lady was 63 YO.

Yeah come to think of it it'd be not a bad doss house but the slightly un-level cement base blocks let a little water into the shed, walls and ceiling are ok though. None of the bench tops are good enough to build on, so we got to adress that next.
Mar 06, 2010, 09:31 PM
≡LSF8067≡
That's a lotta room Steve, good find! You can insulate and inviro it up very easily. Space heater and a window unit AC and you've got year round, comfortable, man-cave, Mr. Mac Balsa Works!

63? How's she look?
Mar 06, 2010, 10:10 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Like most '63 models Don, bit of rust and some rippled panels, but with a steady engine that rarely breaks down.

I'm in the shed now helping to fix a pals mobile tool chest, could really do with a wireless router for a shed PC. Guess what, my new wireless internet is delivered at the blistering rate of 21.6Mbps, I'm really dirty about it coz it costs a lot of extra money over ADSL to have wireless, I might as well go to a dial up modem for $8/month unlimited, I'm paying $40/month for 3gb with the wireless as a trial plan. We were conned...
Mar 06, 2010, 10:21 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Dude, trial it out and tell them to get stuffed if you don't like it. Just get DSL in and set up your own wireless invironment.
Mar 06, 2010, 11:49 PM
Silent Wings
Ditto with Don on the DSL.
That shed has definite possibilities! This way you can set it up to your specifications.
One thing for sure there is plenty of ventilation with those big windows that open out.
By the way, you didn't happen to take that toe peckin' turkey with you from the old place did you?
Congrats on the place, pour yourself a Fosters'
Gerald
Mar 07, 2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabiker
I got a Lil Bird kit from Ray and as he suggested, want beefy spars for the center panels. I got 3/8" .060 (1/16") carbon and some 1/16" (.060) ply to laminate together. Now, the question becomes, how do I cut 3/8" strips from the sheet of 1/16" ply to make the spars? I'm finding that neither free hand nor a metal ruler work for my X-acto #11 blades. Any suggestions? I need 4 pieces to go to the ~20" carbon.
Bill
If you have a dremel with a cutting blade, you could attach it to a small flat board, create a guide fence and rip a bunch of plywood sheets.

Or ... visit Harbor Frieght for an inexpensive mini table saw or small band saw.

If your gonna build woodys, you gotta have a few tools.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Mar 07, 2010, 10:51 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Sheeting...
Mar 07, 2010, 12:57 PM
Tunabiker

Spar construction

Yep, I need tools...appropriate that this follows Atmosteve's new shed as I have two cars, a motorcycle, three bicycles, a refrigerator, tool bench and 30 years of fishing equipment in my garage presently! I tried to use my neighbor's Black and Decker and the fence had too much clearance for the 1/16 ply sheet. I was a bit leery about finding finger tips on the wrong side of the blade, but I'll get it. Maybe harbor freight or Sears will be the trick.
Mar 07, 2010, 06:54 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Well it took all my spare time today just to groove and dry fit a stinkin top sheet for an inner panel...sheesh! I screwed up and didn't get my top spar/CF level enough with the ribs on this one so I had to goove a little deeper on the sheeting. It worked out well though and have a good fit. It lines up well with the spoiler bay and all the way across...will glue tomorrow. It really takes some massaging to get a gapless fit on this stuff.
Mar 07, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Quote>It really takes some massaging to get a gapless fit on this stuff. <Quote

Worth every minute of it. Tight joints mean the same or better strength, with less glue... ie. less weight build up... Lookin' good, Don. Wanna build one for me? just kidding... I mean, where's the fun in that?

Jack
Mar 08, 2010, 09:07 AM
Groundloop World Champion
I knew those big "yellow books" were good for something !!

Quick Reply