Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

May 10, 2008, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Yippee!

I'm getting a woodie- woodie builds :)

Hi folks, I can't resist it any longer, the pull of gravity is just too strong to resist.
Have been flying different slopies here and there a bit lately after returning to aeromodelling after some years, and I love it! But my major love was always thermal duration and multi task flying and competition here in aussie, and I want back in.
I can't afford one of the many beautiful mouldie F3J birds at present, but would like for the moment to revisit the days of polyhedral kit built thermalers for nostalgia sakes. Its hard yakka trying to track down a Sagitta 900 kit anywhere, and I would scratch build from plans but for the time involved, so i'm looking at alternatives.

I was thinking of giving the Marauder a go, amongst a few others. My local club has a decent winch available, but no-one usues it, which is sad because the club strip and site is nice and would offer enough lift for sure, enough for me to get back on track anyway.

Are there any aussie flyers, or flyers from any country that fly/have flown this bird? Or perhaps have advice that is relevant in the field of gliders available down here in the kit built 3m range?

I'm really excited by the prospect of thermaling properly again and peddling a winch once more.

Thanks,
Steve.

EDIT; If you would like to join in and contribute to the thread with sharing your woodie build, please feel free to post on this thread, whatever your sailplane might be. Thanks all for your help and posts and advice.

Here are some pics of the wooden goodness from the folks that make this thread.
Last edited by atmosteve; Apr 14, 2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Adding these cool pics.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2008, 02:48 AM
Hi
I would suggest you have a look at Skybench aerotech or search the web for an Aquilla ,if you want a realy good 70s ship
Hope you find one you will not be disapointed
Cheers Dandiy
May 10, 2008, 04:35 AM
3Ding at a field near you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve

Are there any aussie flyers, or flyers from any country that fly/have flown this bird? Or perhaps have advice that is relevant in the field of gliders available down here in the kit built 3m range?

I'm really excited by the prospect of peddling a winch again.

Thanks,
Steve.
G'Day Steve,
I completed my Marauder this week and maidened her today. Sailplanes Aus have them or order them if not in stock. All in all a good kit, but you really need the Marauder build log to aid you aswell. This was my first plane built after being away from the sport for about 10 years. I reckon that the Marauder is about the only built up 100+ inch available here at the moment apart from the Great Planes Spirit( and every buggers done one of them).
I could be wrong but theres definatly none of the Rise 100 or Stepp3 or Albatross around anymore.
Cheers Steve.650
May 10, 2008, 05:18 AM
Hey atmosteve,

Where on the Fraser Coast do you fly?
May 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Hi Glen, almost anywhere some natural lift can be found. I often travel for it
May 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
http://www.airsportsrc.com.au/index.html
May 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have both the Skybench Oly lll as well as the MMglidertech Marauder so I am speaking from experience here. The Marauder is heavy yet flys "light" and thermals well. Much good has been spoken about it.
My personal favorite is the Oly lll. It launches very high with a moderate histart, shows lift and climbs exceptionaly well, turns on a dime, and can take one heck of a winch launch with a awsome zoom at the end. This is a medium skill build and the results are beautiful. The parts are laser cut so it is really more of an assembly than a build which turns out quite a strong aircraft.
Both manufactures offer top shelf online help. Both planes can climb on light lift. Both planes are ballastable, but the Oly lll can fly in much higher wind before it is necessary to add any.
Thats my opinion and Im sticking with it!
Bobby
May 10, 2008, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thanks Bobby, I do like the look of the OlyIII, and its airfoil. Plenty of info is around on it too.
I've emailed Skybench for info and cost on getting one sent here. Who knows It might cost no more than the retail price for a Marauder here.
Time to hit the search function and do some homework.
May 10, 2008, 10:36 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Has anyone built one with a tailboom yet?
I think I would like a conventional fuse for strength, but a boom would certainly look interesting!
Last edited by atmosteve; May 10, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
May 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
If you mean a carbon fiber tailboom and glass pod Ray has one for sale that Ive seen on his big bird plane that will do the job just fine.
Bob
May 11, 2008, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Its hard yakka trying to track down a Sagitta 900 kit anywhere, and I would scratch build from plans but for the time involved, so i'm looking at alternatives.
You haven't been watching the For Sale forum here on RCG. There have been several Sagitta 900 kits sold here in the last few months. Heck, I've got a NIB 900 kit I'd sell you for the right price.
May 11, 2008, 04:02 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hi George, guilty I am, I haven't done a lot of research at the RCG for sale forum.
Its just the average price + shipping that limits my ability to have a Sag 900 kit sent from the states. I was looking more locally for a 900 kit or plane.
The other less expensive woodies however, I may be able to afford with shipping.
Steve.
May 11, 2008, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
I will say that if you build a Marauder, build the 'B' version wing I outlined in my thread with Merril Brady.

1/2" sheerwebs in between each rib, full D-box in wing center section and full carbon laminated spars in the center. Makes for a hell of a strong wing.

As far as the Marauder's competitiveness, just check out it's page for the win list. She CAN hang with the best.

BTW...looks like MM Glidertech has a new website, nice: http://www.mmglidertech.com/index.htm

-Sean
May 11, 2008, 03:08 PM
Old Scale Glider Guy!
Yes the new web page is up at http://www.mmglidertech.com/marauder.htm

Merrill
May 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief
I will say that if you build a Marauder, build the 'B' version wing I outlined in my thread with Merril Brady.

1/2" sheerwebs in between each rib, full D-box in wing center section and full carbon laminated spars in the center. Makes for a hell of a strong wing.

As far as the Marauder's competitiveness, just check out it's page for the win list. She CAN hang with the best.

BTW...looks like MM Glidertech has a new website, nice: http://www.mmglidertech.com/index.htm

-Sean
The Marauder is a very good design, FrogChief is very wise in recommending it.

In TD the top and bottom spoiler would be very effective in minimizing the effects of crosswind gusts on the poly design. An easier flying, more basic short coupled machine, that appears to be builder friendly. Check it out!

Quick Reply