Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Voted Ed.

Folks, Keith mentioned that Stan Meyers passed away Friday. We lost another awesome glider guider and a true gentleman.
I hate hearing when our mates pass away. I just got a note from LSF that Cal Pothuma passed also...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I hate hearing when our mates pass away. I just got a note from LSF that Cal Pothuma passed also...
Oh no, another one. I met Cal one time about 15 years ago.
Sep 19, 2012, 03:46 AM
I need some building time in t
Well That's two of our fellow glider guiders gone. I sure hope the old saying about these things happening in threes is wrong. I'd say that we all need to do what we can to get more people interested in our part of the hobby just so we can keep our numbers up.

SEAN: Did you get that e-mail I sent you with the property info? Haven't heard back from you on it.
Sep 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Youth membership in SBSS has soared in the past year, so much so that our instructors are getting overwhelmed. Dory and I make it a game to attract and engage fence sitters.
Sep 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Way to go, Stinker! Getting young ones (and old ones) involved in RC is a very, very good thing. Keeps them involved with something wholesome. The old saying that "idle hands are the devil's workshop" is a fact.
Sep 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
One of our star students is REALLY into aerospace. Our club outreach person took the kid to NASA, where he met engineers and an astronaut. He was STOKED. Noel says this kid has the potential to be the next Armstrong.

"Idle hands...." Tell me about it. Every time I drive under a RR crossing, sign, or anything that'll take paint....
Sep 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Way to go, Stinker! Getting young ones (and old ones) involved in RC is a very, very good thing. Keeps them involved with something wholesome. The old saying that "idle hands are the devil's workshop" is a fact.
Very true. It's probably the biggest reason I got into modeling. When I was really young I'd try taking everything apart, seldom getting it back together. Dad bought me my first plastic kit when I was no more than 5. After that he had to feed them to me constantly.
Sep 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Yup, me too, Sean. Also, we had to make our own fun and ways to while away the day. We didn't have (and I'm thankful now) a damned video screen on every gadget in the house. Most kids these days burn free time playing games displaying/promoting violence and social degradation....it's a real shame .

You keep after 'em, Katie and make 'em understand how important it is to work with their hands. Brag on yourself a bit and show them what you've done.
Last edited by dwells; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Sep 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Anyone heard from Gerald? MR. G, you out there? Yooooohooo!
Sep 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Nope! I hope our resident old coot is doing ok.

Katie; our resident rc sailplane pin up girl!
Sep 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Hey Stevers, how it going man? I wish I had field time to fly and also to recruit those interested. These folks, young and old, are out there watching because they're interested and it shouldn't take much to push them over the edge. Show them a little know how and what they can accomplish too can do the trick.

Katie's doing exactly that, plus, being female, it removes a bit of anxiety and intimidation from the hobby (no, I'm not sexist, women are just comforting in any situation...fact of life).
Sep 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Come over grinning, take your model with you. Just say "Hi there! Come, fly with us, we'll show you how." It works like a charm. Noel, the club outreach guy, usually walks over with an Alula, throws it, and just hands over the controls. Kids (and adults) LOVE the Alula.
Sep 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Noel, the club outreach guy, usually walks over with an Alula, throws it, and just hands over the controls. Kids (and adults) LOVE the Alula.
I've been teaching my girlfriend how to fly with an Alula and a HobbyZone Champ... best trainer pair in existence I rekon, especially with both on timid rates so they're tame in the air.

Good stuff on getting more people interested everyone.

- boingk
Sep 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Between my two daughters and the step kids we're growing a pretty good crop of potential glider nut grand kids. Almost all of them have been out to watch me and I have a spare room in the man-cave full of FF kits, a few Gentle Lady's and such ready for the future. This here grandpa is a bit of a hardass, there will NOT be any ARFs allowed as first models around here. Any of them that wants to fly RC will be spending time in the cave gluing wood and trimming for flight. Once they get at least one succesful bird under their belt I'll probably allow some foamies or psuedo ARF sailplanes to be used at the field. Reason for this is they are going to understand the theory of flight, the why's how's therefore's of correct trim and most important of all "no instant gratification". So far JT has one display woodie to his name, Juliet is about 1/3 into her first one and the rest are getting close to the age for their introduction. My oldest babygirl Katie (33 YO and Juliet's mom) was stretching hi-starts and building sub-assemblies when she was 8. Even though she has a really busy life she has stops at the field on occasion and mixes the sticks a little. She's also still the best winch line untangler I've ever seen. She can puzzle through a birdnest in her sleep. I often tell her I only had her for two reasons:

Her finesses with winch line
She was a great pack mule up through her late teen years.

Edit. 3 reasons: To bear my grandchildren.
Sep 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hmm.

Sean all will go well, but keep the wife away from the Tx.

Don, just the same, working and dreaming of a normal life where i can build and fly again. I collect my Frauline unit from Darwin airport early November, we should be back home in Qld for christmas.

I would so love to see old Pokey complete again one day. All the best to yonder mates.

Quick Reply