View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 03, 2010, 05:36 PM
Onward and Upward.
Cute birds, Steve.
Say, I am installing spoiler servos on the MTS and was wondering, would a 1 inch cord and four bays wide spoiler be enough for each side? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Randy
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hello i think you are right with the mod you want, the same as mine in that way it will work great.
Aug 04, 2010, 02:18 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Don, 26f here lately, blowing cats and dogs sideways from the direction I want to head in of course!! Should be off tomorrow after a two week break here in Toowoomba, no flying though, crap weather.
26° and you're on a cycle packin a tent . Dude, you need a little goth tent warmer to peddle along with you .
Aug 04, 2010, 06:45 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
26° and you're on a cycle packin a tent . Dude, you need a little goth tent warmer to peddle along with you .
Don't forget, Dwells. He's talking 26° Celsius. That's right about 80° Farhenheit.

Not sure he needs a warmer. Maybe a little Goth to bring him another cold one.

Nightowl
Aug 04, 2010, 07:49 PM
I need some building time in t
I don't even want to know what the temp has been at work! Running Cable drops through an attic at this time of year is just flat out crazy. I get out and hit the truck for some water and a 5 mph breeze feels great! I know it's been like 98-99F and high humidity has had the heat index up around 115. I get out of the attics and I look like someone has turned a hose on me. What a way to make a living!
Aug 04, 2010, 10:06 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Re-read Steve's post. It's 26 F I believe. Remember gents, it's winter in Oz.
Aug 04, 2010, 11:05 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Re-read Steve's post. It's 26 F I believe. Remember gents, it's winter in Oz.
Oops.. you're right. He did specify "26f." (Not the way I'm used to seeing it, and I guess I "read past" it. And I'm just used to Ozzies expressing it in C.)

However, as far as it being winter, about half of Australia is north of the Tropic of Capricorn. They have roughly the same climate as southern Mexico in their "winter." I don't believe a temperature of 26 degrees C in the mid Northern Territory would be unusual in July.

Having said that, I'm not real sure where in Oz Steve is. Maybe he can weigh in on his next stop and clear some of this up, for us.

Nightowl

Edited to add this: Australia in July:
Quote:
But go further north, and the weather remains tropical with temperatures ranging from 17° to 26°C (63°-79°F) in Cairns and 20° to 30°C (68°-86°F) in Darwin.

These being average temperatures, it can be colder or warmer on certain days and nights, and can dip below freezing point.
http://goaustralia.about.com/od/disc.../a/ausjuly.htm

(Just to show that I'm not being completely stupid.. lol.)
Aug 05, 2010, 08:14 AM
Well owl, now I'm wondering if I'm wrong or if Steve made the mistake of using "f" instead of "c". I've never studied Australia in details. Guess we'll have to wait for him to chime in.
Aug 05, 2010, 08:18 AM
I just pulled up the weather for Toowoomba, AU and it shows today's' highs in the mid 60's and low's in the 30's, all expressed as Fahrenheit. I guess that's their usual weather for this time of year.
Aug 06, 2010, 01:28 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Yep, thats in F so you chaps across the puddle don't get confused doing the conversion.

Made it 110 miles down the road from Toowoomba so far, arrived in Inglewood today, nice low rolling hills and agriculture country, lightening my load by 45 pounds sure has helped! - Mr. G, you were right- I had to much stuff to haul.

Visited my old RC club on the way out of Twmba and saw some old friends who were my rc mentors when I was a kid, the place sure has changed in 30 years!

Ooops, I've ran out of time at the public internet place, gotta go, Randy I'll get to your PM soon as i can mate.

Ciao.
Aug 06, 2010, 09:27 AM
Clever quip goes here!
Well, it seems a lot of posts are perhaps just a wee bit off topic from woodie sailplanes. Don't get me wrong, not trying to dissuade the current discourse, in fact I am enjoying it.

But, to throw in a mildly on topic post, today is my last day at my current job. Tomorrow we begin our journey back to OKC, culminating in our triumphant return to that fair city next Tuesday. In the short time I've been here, I've managed to accumulate 4 woodie kits to add to my fleet still in storage back in OKC. I am so looking forward to setting up shop and building something this fall. It's been a long dry spell!
Aug 06, 2010, 11:28 AM
Silent Wings
LV
Sure don't want to bust your bubble, but, I hope your new digs have air conditioning in your building area!!! Rains were more than abundant in OKC in late spring and early summer.....10 inches at times. Now that it's drying out
the temps have been hovering in the 104 degree area. Still, it sure is purty over yonder.

Steve
Thanks for the report. I'm keeping tabs on you, mate through google maps.
45 pounds off that bike makes one hell of a difference I'm sure!!
Gerald
Aug 06, 2010, 11:45 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Shoot LV, we're 90% off topic round here . What kits do you have and what are you planning to build first?
Aug 06, 2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry LV, as we got into the dog days and summer activities hit we all kind of get loopy from the heat. Too hot to fly as often and too busy to build. I'm sure in another month or so we'll all get our heads back in the game.

I've been doing most of my flying from about 7:30 to 9:30 AM since lift develops well around here by that time and I can get some flights in before the worst of the day's temps show up.

I did get a lot of flying in yesterday afternoon and did it with woodies. My 8 YO nephew and 10 YO grandson are staying with me all week so we loaded up on Guillow's JetFires and Sleek Streaks. Spent some time on the theory of flight, some on trimming and a whole lot of chasing and retrieving aircraft from trees. Tomorrow morning we all head out to work and they get their first introduction to DLGs and thermals.

Good luck on the move LV. By the time you get settled in the new place we should all be back at the workbench and contributing woodie related posts.

Oh, 8 YO nephew Alex is from OKC also.
Aug 06, 2010, 01:24 PM
≡LSF8067≡
I envy you Sean. Them boys are really gonna get the bug when they see you fling that plane. Pics of the outing sure would be cool!

Quick Reply