View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 17, 2008, 09:17 AM
Silent Wings
Don:
Beautiful installation there, and I like the color combo. I think you are wise in cutting off the Z bend for your particular installation. Also, good luck on your fuselage grinding. My fuse is done and I have HALF a wing built! I'm going with flaps AND spoilers. That sucker is BIG and beautiful! Still chomping at the bit to get it all done.
Looking forward for reports from all of you on progress.
Steve, high hopes for the big launch! You're half way there since you had glowing reports on the hand launches.
Gerald
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Steve,

Is it ok with you if us Olyers continue to post on your thread? Don't want to labeled a hijacker . And yes, we will report all maidens for sure. Hope your weather straightens out for you.
Nov 17, 2008, 12:40 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Thanks Gerald. I've noticed the fine job that you and Steve have done with the fuse contouring. I'm a little apprehensive about the nose area and don't know where to start. Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated .

Don
Nov 17, 2008, 06:03 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Wet, wet, and more wet

Good old weather strikes again, its been raining steady since late last night.
I'm doing things to help make the rain stop, like putting out the potplants, trying to collect rainwater.

Tomorow is the last chance to fly this week.
Last edited by atmosteve; Nov 18, 2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: satelite image
Nov 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
It sounds like we have all been busy. Gerald, please feel free to share your build notes and stuff with us, especially now you are on to the good stuff with your wings, flaps and spoilers, can't wait to see something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Steve,
Is it ok with you if us Olyers continue to post on your thread? Don't want to labeled a hijacker . And yes, we will report all maidens for sure. Hope your weather straightens out for you.

Don, of course other builders can show there work here if they would like, that'd be great! You know, I never intended this thread to be a build log, or even a group build thread. I started with just one question, I hoped to have it answered which lots of people helped me with that and other ideas (thanks all), then it just developed from there because of all the continued input from you guys.
So its youir thread as much as mine.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 16, 2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: add picture
Nov 17, 2008, 06:25 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Change the title of this thread?

Hi all, what do you think, should the title be changed to reflect the context of the thread? It became a build log with contributions from a lot of people, and then became a shared build log, which is all good.

How about;

Guys building woodies
Guys and their woodies
Oly III group build thead

Or maybe something else,that doesn't draw connotations to woodies.

Please feel free to make a suggestion.
steve.
Nov 17, 2008, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated .

Don
Don, I decided to draw lines down the top and bottom surfaces of my fuse's nose to help me with contouring limits when using the bench sanding disc. Its one method, though I'm sure there are plenty others.
Nov 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
≡LSF8067≡
deleted
Last edited by dwells; Nov 17, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Nov 17, 2008, 08:41 PM
≡LSF8067≡
No way, "I'm getting a woodie" is what we all want . This thread is very enjoyable and kinda coincidental...thanks Steve. I think there will be lots of Oly guys here in the future. You're brilliant...a freakin screwdriver shaft...who'd a thunk. It's the old saying " you can't see the forest for the trees". If you bend that screwdriver, you got some bad @ss wings bro . I'll take a wing tube and go screwdriver shoppin this weekend. Thanks for the tips. I'll draw the limits on the carve job...duh! This is the first plane kit I've built other than free-flight stuff when I was a kid so I'm reading everything I can and picking brains, I appreciate your patience.
Nov 17, 2008, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Patience! lol, if there is one thing us woody guys have its patience in spades, otherwise we would be flying only moulded factory birds.

The thing is, there are rc pilots of varying experience levels out there that have never built a plane of any kind in their life, and may never do so!
I find that kinda weird. Anyone that goes to the effort to build and understand their own aircraft gets some respect from me, no matter how long they've been at the hobby. Some of the old school values are worth keeping in this throw away, fast food world we are entering.
----sermon ends------

Ok, unless others chip in and reckon a title change is warranted, then we will continue to build woodies into future.

May the wood be with you...
Last edited by atmosteve; Dec 28, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Nov 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a flight sim.
Here's a good flight simulator. A friend of mine treated me to this one...it was amazing for me. Scott on the left and me on the right was able to take off and land without killing anyone on the plane...folks on the ground had a few worries said the flight officer . This is a 737-700 sim at the Southwest Airlines training center in Dallas. Scott has all the advanced fight sim stuff from Microsoft and has this identical console. It is very freaky the movement, sights and sounds from a 12 million dollar sim. Freakin Scott knew it all from his "game".
Nov 17, 2008, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

I want one too

You lucky, lucky sod... that looks brilliant!

I'll start saving for one of those, tomorow.
Nov 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
≡LSF8067≡
I'll chip in too...
Nov 18, 2008, 05:49 AM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
OK. I'll chip in here too. I'm a little ambivalent. The title may benefit with an update, but I have learned so much here in my slow reentry into the sport that I think we should go for the record of longest post on RCG.

When my OLY 3 kit shows up sometime in the next few weeks my plan has been to take many pictures and assemble a build sequence that also helps me learn GIMP (Open Source Photo Shop) so that I can make a build log that looks something like this:

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...-Layout-02.jpg

This is awesome and is the wave of the future in my opinion.

Can hardly wait. Tapered carbon spars with Kevlar etc., leave part of a screwdriver in there somewhere......you catch the drift.

Thanks everyone, I have learned enough here on RCG to really have fun building my World Beater. And the Internet is not quite 26 years old.
Nov 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
Silent Wings
Well crud!
Steve...I was hoping you would get the bird in the air. Isn't that typical after whetting your appetite with the handlaunch tests?

Don
I agree with Steve....."You lucky sod." One thing for sure, you are wearing the right shirt! Haven't flown a "Real" simulator since the 50's.

The name thing on the thread is immaterial to me. I have gotten used to looking for the "Woodie" thing. One thing for sure, you can go back through the thread and pick up a lot of information.

I like the idea of the screwdriver shaft Steve. Excellent thinking. I have a lot of various sized Phillips head ones around that I think I will make use of for a spare rod. Once they get a rounded edge from use I return them to Sears for free replacement, but I have some extras.

GDBOT
Hang in there and we're looking forward to your Oly build. These guys have surely given me a leg up on some new innovations. We're all here for some brainpickin'
Gerald

Quick Reply