Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 12, 2017, 06:37 PM
Gary L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDisaster
Gary,

If you don't mind me asking... where do you fly out here? I've been looking for a club since I've moved and haven't had much luck finding a sailplane friendly field near the city...
Assuming by "the city", you mean KC, this ain't gonna help you much, since I'm about 175 air miles SW of you. In any case, I live on (and own) 140 acres of pasture in the Flint HIlls. About half of it is leased out to a local cattle rancher and much of the remaining 65 or 70 acres is very rocky. But there is some decent sailplane space left. Powered birds, not so much... some money would have to be spent to clean up an area for a runway.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA69405
Assuming by "the city", you mean KC, this ain't gonna help you much, since I'm about 175 air miles SW of you. In any case, I live on (and own) 140 acres of pasture in the Flint HIlls. About half of it is leased out to a local cattle rancher and much of the remaining 65 or 70 acres is very rocky. But there is some decent sailplane space left. Powered birds, not so much... some money would have to be spent to clean up an area for a runway.
Ah, bummer. Sounds like a great spot! I'll have to keep looking for next season, thanks!
Sep 30, 2017, 12:42 PM
Stacking the hanger for winter builds!!

a.) BOT 118"
b.) Wanderer 2M (scratch build)
c.) Gnome 2M (scratch build)
d.) Zephyr 2 (52 incher HLG: scratch build). This last one took some looking for!

Just amazed at all the "woody" kit suppliers that are vanishing away! Really really sad. Spent many many hours watching my dad build kits. Anything that ARF'd spent the nights outside in those days!
Feb 24, 2021, 11:16 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bump...

Just for the sake of yesteryear and the good times.
Feb 24, 2021, 04:20 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Nice one - missed this thread!
And good to see that Luzwingnut's announcement of the death of woodie kits was premature. There is some lovely stuff around now for the builder - I am just making a start on a Stellar F5J kit from Ecrich in France, and very impressed by the kitting.
Cheers,
PeteM
Feb 25, 2021, 02:22 AM

Yes, reports of Woody's death have been premature ;)

My take on a combo of ideas from the Allegro -lite and the RES-Eagle, a free plan from UK Magazine RCME.
Still a bit to do but getting there..
Clive.
Mar 28, 2021, 03:28 PM

Vintage Top Flight Wristocrat

It has been a while since I built a bird that was not bagged or molded. Here is a Top Flight Wristocrat from '86 modded for light slope lift fun. Gone is the polyhedral, added ailerons. Enjoy!
Jul 09, 2021, 07:38 AM

wristocrat

Wow. Absolute beauty. Lovely with the yellow on black underbelly. Bravo!
Jul 09, 2021, 01:25 PM
We're still in business, and working on new kits as well.

www.djaerotech.com
Jul 09, 2021, 02:54 PM
Crafty madness

Gentle Lady mashup

Recently finished this two meter woodie. It's a Gentle Lady wing with a scratch- built fuselage and tail. It's motorized with a Norvel .061 glow engine. Flying weight is 21 ounces. I'm really happy with it; she performs well and is compact enough for the one-piece wing to fit in a small car.
Last edited by brokenspar; Jul 10, 2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: more pics
Jul 09, 2021, 07:11 PM

G. Lady

Nice! Another classic balsa beauty - I'm hooked on this thread. The Gentle Lady wing looks really swell with that sheeted leading edge on the wing - classy mod.
Last edited by USKP01261; Jul 09, 2021 at 07:32 PM.
Jul 09, 2021, 07:44 PM
Crafty madness
Thanks, USK!
Jul 09, 2021, 09:44 PM

Conquistador

Ok, here's one liberated from old, tattered, dusty kit - lucky enough to snag this recently. After I finished covering I decided that I am not crazy about the lime green and cooper metallic - it seemed like a good idea at the time, ahaha. But, I have a feeling she'll look incredible as a speck way up in the blue yonder and that scheme should be pretty easy to spot. Haven't been around a scale yet - but have a feeling she is (look both ways and whisper out of the corner of your mouth): a bit heavy Been dwelling in that last setup build stage where the last 10% takes 90% of the time. Close but no cigar
Jul 09, 2021, 09:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I wouldn't have thought about this thread for a hundred bucks... you should all have to pay up!

Darth Heartattackjack
Jul 11, 2021, 02:18 PM

FreeFlight Woodie Cousin

J & H Aerospace reproduction kit-built 60% scale of vintage Estes Sky Slash II.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Rocket-Glider

Not RC, but a "woodie" nonetheless. Sorry, it's all I have to contribute at the moment since the beloved Modified 2M GP Spirit is still awaiting repairs.

Quick Reply