Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2008, 12:48 PM
fast
Discussion

Canon/Nikon 400g AUW 35" AP plane, world smallest ?

almost unbreakable EPP flying wing, few times I just let the plane to drop out of sky without any damge to camera or airframe The secret is very light AUW. Added CF protect camera when plane falling at any angle or cartwheel.
I have most fun with SD20 Canon, also outdated it makes decent pics and best of all tiny no zoom lens, sort of crashproof design, you need such camera when there is no place to land but to drop on rocks and dirt.
The plane has high roll rate but CPD4 flight stabilizer makes piloting no-brainer With 1AH 3s lipo and 60watt brushless normal flight time is some 30minutes
Anyone was able to construct smaller plane to carry real camera(no Aiptek and such) ?

here some AP shots from this morning while flying in Valley of the Gods,Utah
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2008, 01:31 PM
GREAT pictures! Did you see any sign of the Roadrunner and Coyote out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM5kO...eature=related

oc88(Bill)
May 09, 2008, 03:47 PM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
fmkit,

Did you build this plane yourself, or is it a modified existing model? If it's a custom build, would you be willing to share the build plans? I love the simplicity and ruggedness of it.

Thanks,
Matt
May 09, 2008, 04:27 PM
fast
this is $20 wild wing from hobbypeople.net
i moved servos back, made my own winglets and motor mount
May 09, 2008, 04:36 PM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
I also should have asked... How stable is it? How easy is it to fly? And how well does it handle wind?

Thanks for the info.

- Matt
May 09, 2008, 04:50 PM
fast
the wing meant for crazy things, there is huge trad on rcgroups by kctrader
this my 4th ww, it has light powertrain unlike my previous wildwings that now history. ww is most meneurable wing i ever had, because of low inertia and high roll rate you can change direction 180degree in split second and in another two regain high speed. these qualities not needed for AP so I used little motor and very little tape to keep the wing light, CPD4 makes it very stable. With such little power winds above 15mph make flying too intense but I already have bigger and much powerful planes that can do vertical climb in high winds. With the little wing I can thermal and fly in very tight places.
May 09, 2008, 05:26 PM
AP-stick
nice pics, i have done the complete white rim road of
canyonlands NTL park... and grand canyon south and north,
i like these parks alot !

i also plan to remove some stuff from my camera
to save grams...

like you said, lower AUW mean more cargo, easy fly !

The new slim FUJI Z 20 is 10 megapixel
and is only 127g all included, and my bird AUW is 380g
complete story of my setup here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859304

i'm a poor pilot, but confident enough to fly over citys because
of low AUW !
Last edited by ggtronic; Apr 27, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
May 09, 2008, 08:55 PM

FFF Flying Wing Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper453
fmkit,

Did you build this plane yourself, or is it a modified existing model? If it's a custom build, would you be willing to share the build plans? I love the simplicity and ruggedness of it.

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt:

I just built one of these and it flies beautifully and very slowly...I'm going to build one for AP use.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558321

PS
Last edited by SpinningInPres; May 10, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
May 09, 2008, 09:46 PM
fast
how do you guys fly with prop in front ? i never tried that and see no reason. in my opinion good AP plane has to be pusher symmetrical wing.
the one pictured here is to small to fly far, few times I lost visual but thanks to CPD4 it always landed level without damage. tomorrow I'm going to install video transmitter so the plane will be 10g heavier but much more usable.
i'm impressed with my new Nikon L18, it is 70g after mod and makes good movies with functional zoom while recording.

today I visited canyon de Chelly, it was very windy so I didn't fly inside the canyon.

how many birds in 2nd picture ?
May 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
AP-stick
fmkit, really nice shots ! the high definition allow
digital zoom with almost no lost ! you have better
image compression than my camera...

symetrical stand for flying upside down !
http://acam.ednet.ns.ca/curriculum/wing.htm
doing 3D with camera onboard is not my goal...

good digital picture need lowest movement possible, wich
mean lowest speed , wich require Deep Chamber wing !
i can almost fly at 0 speed facing 5-10mph wind !

i need 6 inch of runway to land ... watch the end of this video:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...83#post9711144

having the camera in front reduce movement and is ok if you trigger from the remote
(expensive hardware)or do video transmit... and want to have specifiq shot and little memory to save ? the side instalation minimize the drag
with a 1"thik camera and allow more shots of the same spot if you fly slow
enough

Instead, i put my camera on continuous shooting mode (shot at every
3 sec.with rubber band on trigger) and take about 100 to 200 shot at full resolution (my 4gig card can accept about 600 shots ! at 10mpixel).
and i save 100sss$ without triggering hardware...

i use to have two pusher plane (PARK SHARK and TIPSY) and it was to hard
to manage weight balancing...with different type of battery.
Last edited by ggtronic; May 10, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
May 10, 2008, 06:07 PM
fast
ggtronic, thanks for interesting links !
my guess is you have less dirt and rocks in Montreal compared to american southwest, also it's windy ... and I'm russian my plane must be sort of Kalashnikov AK-47. Along with EPP and CF I use my own design UHF contol RX/TX which is bulletproof 20mi range (yes for 35" plane ) and my cameras not just lightweight but also sort of hacked - complete control of power,focus,shutter and zoom while in flight. landing and taking off with lens retract and covered - camera powered off. Also why slow down while shooting ? technology is there , lets use it: flight stabilizer such as CPD4 or FS-8 combined with optical image stabilizer (even $99 Lumix has it!) and you can have fun anywhere in almost any weather. i shortened stock CPD4 wires and got rid of case to make it 15g.

-p