SUPER SKIDS REVIEW: Hobby Lobby vs Super-Skids.com - RC Groups
May 09, 2008, 04:08 AM
Mini-Review

SUPER SKIDS REVIEW: Hobby Lobby vs Super-Skids.com

For awhile I thought all superskids were eventually the same with negligable differences. But now I think ive found the best, if not one of the best, super skids you can get for your Honey Bee. Ive had the Hobby Lobby superskids for awhile and I just got a new set today from another maker. So here is what is being reviewed, I will use (A) and (B) instead of saying Hobby Lobby and Super-Skids.com:

(A) www.Hobby-lobby.com 's Assembled Upgrade Landing Gear ..... $ 29.50
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/honeybee3.htm

(B)
www.super-skids.com 's Super Skids 3D ..... $19.95
http://www.super-skids.com/superskids3D.htm

Weight comparison:
(Part -- (A) weight / (B) weight)

1. Landing gear (the upside down U shape leg thing) -- 9.7g each / 9.3g each
2. Metal skid -- 4.7g each / 2.5g each
3. Carbon Rod -- 0.8g / 0.7g
4. Plastic battery holder without rubber band -- 0.5g / 0.8g each
5. Antenae Tube -- 0.8g / 0.9g
6. Tail Boom Support -- 8.0g / Does not have one

TOTAL WEIGHT WITH RUBBER STOPS AND SCREWS -- 41.4g / 29.4g
(Without Tail Boom Support-- 33.2g / 29.4g)

Impressions:
Ill try to keep this as mini as possible. I got the HB skids first and then the ones from super-skids. I will use (A) and (B) again as above. Some first impressions...

(1) The rubber stops (the ones u slide on carbon rods... B's were as good as the rubber stops found on stock Honey Bees where as A's rubber stops feel like its made of surgical gloves and very difficult to slide around when u want to move it.

(2) I love the little rubber ball that comes with B to help dampen impact that carbon rod gets when the tail end hits the floor too hard. VERY nice and a great alternative to the tail boom support which I find very unnecessary and adds alot more weight.

(3) B came with matching black screws, A came with basic silver screws.

(4) A's antenae holder stayed on the landing gear very well, as if it was glued on. Its also bright orange which may make it a extra visual aid. B on the other hand, has a nice clear tube but it doesnt really want to stay on by itself.

(5) The rubber stops (the ones u slide on carbon rods... B's were as good as the rubber stops found on stock Honey Bees where as A's rubber stops feel like its made of surgical gloves and very difficult to slide around when u want to move it.

(6) Fitment on both A and B were great. No problems with installation.

(7) When installed B will sit higher than A as the lander gear plastic part is a bit taller. B has a WIDER stance which not only makes it look nicer and more aggresive, its also adds a bit more functionality. This is comparing the distance between the two metal skids.

(8) Over all, all of B's parts have a feel of quality in them. They also have alot more detail from the etched name on the shiny bright aluminum skids to the name engaved on the rubber band even! The metal skid on A's wasnt as polished and didnt have as nice a finish. A came with basic tan colored rubber bands.

Conclusion:

The super skids 3D from super-skids.com is hands down the winner. Compared to hobby lobbys, it weighs less (by alot), better quality, a bit stronger, looks better, and is $10 cheaper! Plus super-skids use Priority USPS mail and shipping I think was only about $6-7 and it got to me much faster than HobbyLobbys orders usually do for me. If youre looking for a super skid for your HB, this is THE one to get in my opinion!

For the record, I like Hobbylobby alot and have bought a few things from them. Its just the super skids they carry frankly is horrible (from www.flyingsport.com) compared to the one from super-skids.com... I say they should just carry and sale the super-skids.com version instead like some other online retailers do .

So there you have it! Hope you find it useful.

Some pictures are included in the next post
Last edited by cbformula; May 09, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2008, 05:43 PM
Heli and Car Addict
NOTE:
The one from hobbylobby are probably the same as the one from HeliDirect

Also, I did a SuperSkids3D Review somewhere in here.
May 09, 2008, 06:00 PM
dze
dze
thats some hefty landing gear .. some of these wide skids actually weigh less
May 09, 2008, 06:10 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Ahh, but you look like a noob. >.<
May 09, 2008, 07:46 PM
haha that is true, actually i was using the training gear on my hobby lobby super skids awhile back as im still relatively new to RC helis. but now all i have is the super skids as the training gear isnt necessary anymore
May 09, 2008, 07:55 PM
Heli and Car Addict
You should note if they are the original superskids, or the superskids 3d..
May 09, 2008, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls
You should note if they are the original superskids, or the superskids 3d..

This is a problem as I think I got the worse ones 2 years back. I'd like to maybe try the "Good" pair again,,, Just don't know what they are cause their NAMED THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 09, 2008, 11:45 PM
Heli and Car Addict
SuperSkids and SuperSkids3D is made by the same company silly. It's a different category product. The 3D is mainly for acrobatic users, who limit their weight... I just used it because it weighed less.
May 11, 2008, 01:00 AM
Quote:
...some of these wide skids actually weigh less
I'm pretty sure Dze is just kidding around, but to make sure there's no confusion, the 25.9 grams of the training gear is added to the weight of the stock landing gear/battery tray, plus there's a couple extra grams when you include the 4 training gear clips. So, the total weight of the stock gear + training gear is about 42 grams. 28 grams is the added, or net weight increase. With the SuperSkids3D, you have to subtract the stock parts that you're removing, so the net weight increase is only about 15 - 16 grams. It ends up being 12 to 13 grams less than adding trainging gear.

My partners and I want to thank cbformula and rawfuls for their fine and insightful reviews. We put a lot of time and thousands of dollars into the design, engineering, materials, and testing to try to make SuperSkids a very high quality product. It's the kind of effort that consumes you, if you know what I mean. And, it's nice to see that some people do notice the quality. We know that no product is right for everyone, but we don't want poor quality to be the deciding factor for any of our products.

SuperSkids is a brand name and a registered trademark. Before Nov. 2005, nobody used the word superskids to describe landing gear. You can do a search here and on RCU, and the name won't come up until we introduced SuperSkids Landing Gear. Before that, all add-on (aftermarket) landing gear were simply called 'upgraded landing gear'. I'd be happy to go into the reason for the confusion over names if anyone here asks me to, otherwise I won't bore you with it.

Once again, thanks for the great reviews.

Gary
May 12, 2008, 06:00 AM
I just got my normal superskids in recently...It has completely changed my flight times. No longer am i dicking around trying to keep the airframe together. The thing just holds, and even has lived through some fairly stupid newb drops that easily wasted the stock stuff. I also went with the ti tail boom. Thank you, gtx...the product really is more then you say.

My only qualm with the review...Could you compare the Normal Superskids kit to the knockoff? Not really a big deal, but its kinda apples to oranges with the lighter 3d kit.
May 12, 2008, 08:00 PM
Heli and Car Addict
I'll see if I can't get a review with the normal superskids kit..

Just know, that the 3D kit was mainly for aerobatics, and flyers who obviously watches what their helicopter eats for dinner..(hint hint)

The normal kit is just heavier.. It would be harder to review, as it comes with all these great parts, which most people don't even bother to look at..