Jul 11, 2001, 10:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Thread OP

Wingo Porter on Floats

I have the Porter and really enjoy flying it, and just put on a pair of Wingo floats from Hobby Lobby. The floats are designed for the 20 oz. Wingo, and my Porter weighs 39 oz. Tomorrow mourning I am heading for the pond to try them out. The Porter is completely stock and flying with a 6 cell 1400mah nicad pack. It will ROG in about 30 from our grass field. Hope these little floats work out. They took about an hout to install, and now they can be removed in about 5 minutes to allow land flying. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it flies. Might be able to get someone to post a couple of pictures for me too. Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2001, 10:46 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Good Luck to you - and if they don't work, I'll bet with some scrap foam you could scale them up (multiply all the dimensions by 1.26 to double the volume and carrying capacity) pretty easily.
Jul 14, 2001, 08:09 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Thread OP
The wind has been blowing like crazy for the last couple of days so tonight I took the Porter over to my sister in laws to float it in her pool to see how it sits in the water. Well bad news, the floats are a little too short and the tail of the plane drops into the water. This is not good with the Porter because the rudder and elevator servos are mounted in the tail. If the floats were about 5 inches longer in the tail section, they would probably be OK, but as is, they are too short. Oh well, I will put them on my Hobby Lobby Slow Go. It is just a low wing version of the Wingo anyway. By the way, if anyone is trying to fly a Slow Go and is having difficulty, the wing incidence is incorrect. You need to shim the trailing edge down 3/16 to increase the angle of attack of the wing. It will then fly like the original high wing Wingo, teriffic. Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Smith (edited 07-14-2001).]
Jul 15, 2001, 09:29 PM
Thank you for that tip. I have a Slow Go that will be my next plane in line to fly after some experience. I love the looks of it.
Jul 15, 2001, 10:57 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Thread OP
Mike, do you have the Slow Go or the Go Slow. They are very diferent. I have seen others on here get them confused. The Slow Go has the wing and tail feathers from the Wingo with a built up fuselage covered with an iron on covering. The Go Slow is all foam. Hobby Lobby was selling both of them and they were even getting them mixed up. I have the Slow Go and that is the one that needs the trailing edge lowered to get it to fly well. Tom
Jul 17, 2001, 12:42 AM
A third and smaller float out back of your Porter will probably solve the tail droop problem. It will rise out of the water as the two main floats get on step. It will also touch down first if you stall your Porter onto the pond and act as a water rudder (read as water anchor ).

Is there realy a plane - The Go Slow ?

Quick Reply