Feb 20, 2010, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
No of course I wouldn't use the airbrush to do the whole plane I mentioned earlier I'll be using rattlecans to spray the aluminium colour. The airbrush is for the detailing.
Last edited by Gree; Feb 20, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2010, 02:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser
The best way to check all is smooth and there are no pinholes etc, is to spray (rattle can) a very light dusting coat of matt black over all the surfaces to be rubbed down. When it has completely disappeared when finally flatting (I prefer to use p.800 wet/dry paper or finer to finish with) you know you have a perfct finish to apply your top/finish coats.

Jeff
Ah you took me back to the days when my first car was in the shop getting painted (the red EH ute)...

And sadly, how my last cool car (FC sedan) was when I sold it... Was going to chop and 2 door it, but buying a house came first :'(

Sorry for the non-plane related nostalgic post - it's all your fault Jeff! Funnily enough not being able to own an old car anymore is what got me into planes in the first place. I needed something to tinker with!
Feb 21, 2010, 05:48 AM
Limey Jeff
Such cool stuff there Gree, I love the baby El-Camino Holden Ute'. I'll bet you were wondering if you'd done the right thing when you sold the four door, and I'd kill for that licence plate!!
I was heavily into custom bikes, mostly Harley's, before I had to retire. A lot of airbrush work on those. I'll not go any more off thread by putting pics on here unless requested Gree.
As for the base paint, an extremely good finish can be obtained using various silvers from rattle cans that are for the home car repair jobs.
Feb 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
Thread OP
I regret selling the green sedan every single day... Ah well maybe again one day.

It'd be good to see some examples of your airbrushing Jeff - it'll help me decide whether to listen to your advice or not

Well back to it. I got the fuse glassed today...
Feb 22, 2010, 06:20 AM
Limey Jeff
O.K. Gree.. heres a few of examples.. sorry there's nothing really close up. i threw in the P.40 but I think you might have seen that before.

There were many paint jobs over the years, but I never thought to take photos'.
Feb 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Nice Jeff. You are now my go to airbrush question man...

I will have a lot of questions believe me!
Feb 22, 2010, 02:47 PM
Limey Jeff
My pleasure. a lot of the stuff looks difficult, but mostly quite simple. Of course you never told customers that!

If you got it wrong for some of the guys who were customers they would come round your house and kill you to death!

Jeff
Feb 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Yeah being killed to death is a horrible way to go!
Feb 23, 2010, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
You its a real bugger, I just worked out I have nowhere to paint! I can't paint in my workroom because there are also fish in there (don't ask) and I can't paint on our tiny balcony because we have made a garden there. I live in a unit so I don't have a backyard...

Hmm I had better try to think of some friends with more space than I have!!!

On another note, my next build after this one is now locked in, and I'm excited. I shouldn't be thinking of the next build until I finish this one, but hey everyone does it right?

This is the beauty I'll be making... the Do 335

Its a short kit from Wings on the Web http://wingsontheweb.com/do335/index.php

I've been talking to the kit developer, and it looks like I'll be making a plug for the additional parts needed to make the two seater night fighter version (which I belive was never built), then the glass parts will become an additional option for the kit. Should be fun!

Ah better try to get back to this build first eh!?
Feb 23, 2010, 06:35 AM
Limey Jeff
Hmmm, bit of a problem there with the painting space Gree, even with small amounts of airbrushing you'll need some means of extraction. The kitchen's good if you have an extractor fan, just do'nt let the missus catch you!!

I'm not serious about that last suggestion gree, in case your better half reads this.

Jeff
Feb 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hooked on Heli's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree
.... I just worked out I have nowhere to paint! ....

Sure it's not ideal, but can you setup in the bathroom, use the bathroom fan to exhaust some of the fumes. Several plastic drop cloths and maybe a cheap filter or something over the bath fan to stop any paint solids...
Feb 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Hey Gree,
Your build is looking great bud...

I'm sure you have looked at it before.. but Tom Pierce has a great build thread : http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/

It will show you how to paint with water based laxtex house paint... it's all I use now. Very little fumes and with the HLVP gun I use you get almost no over spray.. you can do this in your room and the wife won't even smell it

You can even glass with water based poly...

the only steps you need to do out side are the rattle can primer

check it out... I love it
Feb 25, 2010, 06:03 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I may try the bathroom but I don't see that going down very well!

And yes thanks Ron I've seen Tom's site - very inspirational! All the glassing (except flaps and ailerons) is done so no problem there. The finish I want is pretty specific and I've already bought the paint for it. I may just have to try to paint on the minimal space I have on the balcony and see how we go!
Mar 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
Thread OP
ah man I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! Been so busy I haven't had time to look at the '47 in ages!

Got the fuse and wing masked up ready to primer, and have decided to convert my underground garage into a paint booth with some $2.50 shower curtains and drop sheets. Basically when I say garage I mean car space with a wire cage around it in the basement of the building. But I figure with the shower curtains in place I shouldn't get overspray on my neighbours' cars!

Hopefully will be able to lay the primer on this weekend. Sheesh just want to get the time to finish this thing!
Mar 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
hey Gree, if you can throw a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment in there, it'll suck up a lot of the over-spray. Especially if you can get it near where you're spraying.

Quick Reply