May 03, 2009, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much Jugjock! Always nice to receive comments.

I recently did a large freelance job on top of my usual work and went a bit crazy with purchases. The funny thing is in a couple of cases I bought things because I found them on eBay at a price I could not say no to!

The queue currently comprises:

1. Top Flite P47
This one!

2. Peter Rake Albatross DIII (40”)
This is a Manolazer short kit. Always wanted an Albatross since I was about 7!

3. Gus Morfis Storch (1/12 scale)
Short kit with glass nose.

4. Gus Morfis Typhoon (1/12 scale)
Short kit with glass nose.

5. Top Flite Giant Scale P51 (81”)
An ebay deal too good to pass up, very complete package! Look on page 11 for details.

6. Bob Holman Giant Scale Fw190D9 (80”)
Always wanted a D9. A VERY GOOD friend just brought this back to Australia on a plane for me as excess baggage – they did not even charge him! Free postage to Australia!

7. ¼ Scale Meister Fw190A (102”)
Another case of a good deal on ebay I could not walk away from – sooooo much cheaper than ordering myself. This is a short kit with the glass cowl, and aluminium spinner and backing plate included.

This should keep me entertained until 2015 at my current build rate!
Last edited by Gree; May 15, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thread OP

Sheeting the Bottom of the Wing and Making Gear Door Outlines and Panels

Sheeting the Bottom of the Wing
Well I decided to spend a little time on the plane again to reward myself for all the hard study and work I've done lately. I managed to sheet the bottom of the wing, which for me feels like a big step forward.

Awwwww Crap!
However I did make a big boo boo. The instructions call for making up wing sheeting from lengths of 30" 1/16th balsa. Well I have a few 30" lengths, and a few 36" lengths. What I did not realise was that there were a few 3/32nd think 30" sheets mixed in with the 1/16th 30" sheets, which apparently were intended for sheeting the belly pan. Well after reading the instructions 10 times to make sure they wanted me to make all the wing sheeting 30" long, I thought "OK well they must know what they're doing" and made up wing skins. Not until after I had stuck on the first section did I realise I had made them out of 3/32nd thick balsa!

This meant that I now didn't have any belly pan sheeting, and the bottom skin was too thick on the wing! Not only that, but the sheeting was too short to sheet the wing properly, so I had to make up a wedge to sheet the centre of the wing! (at least it will be hidden by the belly pan).

So what the instructions SHOULD have said was to make the bottom wing skins from 36" long 1/16th balsa, and the top skins in 30" long balsa. This would have eliminated the problems I had. Oh well, I went and bought more 3/32nd balsa and finished sheeting the bottom of the wing in this, having sanded the trailing edge down to 1/16th thick to match the flaps and ailerons.

All's well that ends well...

Creating the Gear Door Outlines
I decided to do the whole gear door covers a little differently than I have sen it done elsewhere. I decided to sheet over the top of the installed retracts, then I will cut out the gear door shape to reveal the retracts - exactly as I did with the tail wheel...

In order to get the scale shape of the gear door covers, I enlarged a 3 view of the bottom of the wing until it was the exact scale of my wing, then in order to get the placement exactly right, I traced this shape onto a clear sheet of acetate that I then laid over the wing and retract.

This worked very well, because I could see EXACTLY where my gear doors were going to end up, and make adjustments to the acetate template - rather than the trial and error trimming method people seem to use after sheeting the wing.

After making my adjustments to fit the wheel well etc, I transferred the template onto a sheet of paper, and cut out the shape of the gear doors - see pics. (Surprisingly there were really not many changes to make - all fitted pretty well, except I had to straighten up the front edge of the doors relative to the leading edge of the wing, and move the retract access plate out a little).

After sheeting the first half of the wing, I laid my template into position and traced the door shape onto the balsa. Doing this way, before the entire wing is sheeted, allowed me to double check alignment. After the entire wing was sheeted, I merely lined up the template on the existing outline, and completed the shape. I did this for both sides...

Gear Door Sequencing
After a lot of searching around for a solution to my inner gear door opening mechanism (see post 153), I found this electronic gear door sequencer from Wingspan Models...

http://www.wingspanmodels.com/Produc...ronics/LG.html

I also bought the additional system that senses when the gear is up and only then closes the inner gear doors. Very cool... I am awaiting delivery but am excited that this system will ensure there is never any accidents of mistiming between the gear retraction and the inner doors closing too soon.

I will work on the mechanics of all of this after I finish making all of the glass panels for the bottom of the wing...

Making Fiberglass Panels and Gear Doors
Using the same process documented earlier, I covered the panel areas wing gladwrap, and have begun to lay up my glass servo panels and gear doors. This is starting to really get exciting now as all the hard work of the gear modifications is finally coming together. I can't wait to see the system working!

More on this as I get it done. Feels good to be posting some major progress again!!!
May 04, 2009, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
double post removed
Last edited by Gree; May 04, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: double post
May 04, 2009, 01:05 PM
Looks Great! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mike
May 05, 2009, 11:53 PM
Oh no, not again!
Lovely work as always, Gree. Starting to look more like an airplane than a collection of bits, eh?

Cheers,
Jeff
May 06, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Starting to look more like an airplane than a collection of bits, eh?
Tell that to my workbench!

Thanks guys, I am getting there. I am trying to make a concerted effort to speed things up a bit when I can get time. I hope to get all the glass panels made by the end of the week...
May 09, 2009, 08:50 AM
Thread OP

More Wing Progress

Wheel Door Openings Cut and Glass Doors Laid Up
Well I finished laying up the gear doors, and cutting out the gear door openings.

The glass doors are made from 6 layers of 6oz cloth and 1 layer of 0.75oz cloth. Once they were cured all I had to do was trace the exact shape of the doors onto the glass and viola!

As for cutting out the openings in the wing, the template method worked perfectly, and I cut the gear door openings into the skin right on the line previously drawn, and it all matched perfectly first time - no reshaping required - even right up to the inner wheel wheel wall.

I also cut out the aileron servo hatches.... Before pulling off the glass from the wing, I drew two alignment lines across the wing and the glass hatch to ensure the curvature would be spot on when I cut out the final shape.

The working gear doors will be shown soon! I know I am over-posting again, but am pleased with the progress so far.
May 09, 2009, 08:55 AM
Oh no, not again!
Watching and learning, Gree. Retracts are the bane of my existence. :-) Absolutely necessary on a warbird, but really hard to get looking good and working right. Love your ideas for the doors and hatches, seems to work out well.

Keep overposting, I like pictures.

Cheers,
Jeff
May 09, 2009, 03:12 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
I second what jeff says! I love reading the updates on your build and getting to see all the nice photos. Your plane looks very nice so far. I'm sure it will fly perfectly.
May 09, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
Your plane looks very nice so far. I'm sure it will fly perfectly.

Haha but will I be able to FLY it perfectly!? Getting quite worried about that, especially given what happened to my CMP Zero!

Thanks for the comments guys. My motivation is building now I can see things taking shape.
May 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
Limey Jeff
Gree,

I wandered on to this thread whilst looking for anyone who'd used aluminium foil for finishing. That was three hours ago!! This build is so good it hurts. I wish I could think out some of the problems you've over come, and I've been nailing models together for more years than I care to remember.
I'm sure you wont mind if I (and I'm sure a few others will) pinch some of your ideas.

You have a disciple mate. keep up this great build.

Jeff.
May 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jeff, but don't forget that some of the solutions are not my ideas!

The tail wheel I nutted out myself, but the wheel location modification I learned from others on RC SCALE BUILDER. I was even sent templates by a fellow modeller called John for the mod.

I am working things out myself though, but the great thing about all of these forums is that everyone can share so many ideas!

More on the gear doors coming soon! I have cut out the glass parts and now have to hook up all of the hinging and mounting points. My door sequencer is also in the post so I hope in a couple of weeks I will have everything in working order gear wise.
May 15, 2009, 06:38 AM
Limey Jeff
Still one of the best build blogs I've seen.

Anyone else any ideas on aluminium coverings. A p.m. would be better than clogging up Gree's thread.

Thanks.

Jeff.
May 15, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thread OP
Jeff, I can give you a link to the best build thread on applying Flite Metal to a Top Flite P47 I have ever seen. Really comprehensive step by step... Check this out...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23..._1/key_/tm.htm

It's by a guy who goes by the name of Ramcfarland. I read the entire thread - it is really well done - this will sort you out I am sure.
May 15, 2009, 07:52 AM
Thread OP

Another 'Over' Post

Gear Doors Cut Out
Well I managed to cut out the main gear doors recently. Did it all with a pair of scissors - I cannot recommend this enough for fast, neat and straight cutting of fibreglass - and a small saw for the bits the scissors could not reach.

I found that clamping a steel ruler to the glass on the line you want to cut, then sawing along the ruler gives really nice straight cut lines.

Attaching the Lower Gear Door?
Hit a bit of a tricky spot with the gear doors and thought I would ask for opinions if anyone has any...

I will be doing 2 piece doors as per the full size plane. However, because I am using struts that are not like the original (had to use these struts because of space restrictions in the wing area), it makes attaching the lower door quite tricky as there is only 5mm right at the bottom of the strut that I can attach the door to. As the lower strut will move up and down as it goes over bumps, I cannot fasten the top of the lower door to the strut above the scissor.

So, I came up with an idea I think is pretty simple, and I am hoping I should be able to fabricate out of some thin-ish metal and some plastic.

I have attached sketches of this idea at the end of this set of pictures, and would really appreciate feedback in the idea - do you think it will work, or do you have a better suggestion?

I think it might be pretty sturdy but welcome your thoughts...

Quick Reply