May 07, 2008, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best servos for Pan & Tilt ..smooth, fast, light, etc

What are some opinions on the best servos for a pan and tilt arrangement? I built my p&t with hitec HS-81 servos. this is my first experience with a cheap microservo, and i find these ones to be jittery, sloppy, low resolution, and so far one of them seems to have broken a gear tooth having never left the workbench yet. I now think that since p&t is a pretty important part of fpv that it deserves a higher quality pair of servos. From past projects I have some big heavy expensive digital servos that are absolutely smooth as silk. should I expect the same from a digital micro servo? right now I am considering the HS-85MG analog from servo city. I think it will be worth the extra money to have a high quality p&t, but my servo experience is limited, so lets get some thoughts down.

p&t servos should be:
smooth
fast
high resolution
light weight
180 degree capable
ball bearing type
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2008, 09:06 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
I also started with an HS-81, and HS-55 for tilt. I'm now using an HS-85 for pan, and HS-65 for tilt. No complaints from these. They work pretty good. Although the 65 is more susceptible to noise from 900MHz transmitters than the 55's. So just make sure you have enough clearance between the tx and any servos, if you are using 900MHz.
May 08, 2008, 01:39 AM
Someone posted this up in the FPV videos thread.
Check out the Hyperion Atlas HP-DS11 series.
I'm mostly interested in the metal geared version. Here's the info I found.
Best price http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5091
Most useful info
http://www.newheading.com/print_clea...ctsNumber=1130
Datasheet http://www.hyperion-eu.com/public/ma...AS-SPEC-01.pdf
23.5x11.5x21mm 10.5g
HP-DS11-AMB (metal gear, top ball bearing, digital, fully programmable)
2.1 kg*cm (29-58 oz*in) of torque at 4.8v
5.0 kg*cm (34-69 oz*in) of torque at 6.0v

Fully programmable, so you can set range from 15-140 degrees (and they
say they can be driven all the way to 175 degrees with >100% endpoints).
Also can control speed if you want to slow the pan down a little bit.

I ordered up 3 of them, and will see how they work for tilt/pan.

ian
May 08, 2008, 08:12 AM
Thread OP
Daemon,
Those hyperion servos are pretty nice. What spline do they use? I can't seem to find that in the data sheet. do they have a futaba or hitec spline?
May 08, 2008, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Someone posted this up in the FPV videos thread.
Check out the Hyperion Atlas HP-DS11 series.
I did

I´m using the DS13, the big brother of the DS11 wich weights 17g. The DS11 are new servos that were not on sale when I bought the DS13. The DS13 works nice, programming the full throw you have exactly 180 degrees, maybe some degree more

The bench test showed an impresive resolution. Before trying this servo I tried a lot of analog servos, and all of them had a resolution of around 32-38 points. It´s easy to count them doing small movements of the stick. With the DS13 I can´t count them!! I really can´t say how much better the resolution is, because the stick movements are perfectly tracked by the servo with smooth movements, even the smallest movement I´m able to do, with the tx sitted in a table, are followed by a small and smooth movement of the servo. This is with the throw to its max, giving the 180 degrees

I´ve tested it in flight only once, and I still can see some "jumps", but that´s probably because I fly with the MHT and I must be seeing the MHT limits rather than the servo limits, but it´s clearly improved over any analog servo I´ve tested (hs55, hs65, Robbe FS70, TowerPro 9g...)

This is the video
(13 min 25 sec)

The connector is JR, Futaba without the flap

Andres
May 08, 2008, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Andres, these servos seem almost perfect! Could you check and see if the spline is the same as the Hitec spline?
May 08, 2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry but, what´s the spline?
May 08, 2008, 09:29 PM
What the servo arm attaches to. He's wondering if it's compatible with
Hitec arms.

ian
May 08, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
I called technical support at this place http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18219 and he told me it is compatible with futaba servo arms. The support guy seemed like a general purpose call center type, anfter 10 minutes of waiting for an answer he said "it works with Taba arms", I said "what kind?" he said "Taba", I aksed" you mean Futaba?" and he said yes. so, maybe it works with futaba. the reason I care is that my p&t is built around hitec servo arms, so that would have been an easy swap. now I know I should probably order some futaba arms.

Andres, sorry if I confused you with my question thank you for sharing your test results. I will be ordering these soon.
May 09, 2008, 05:34 AM
Don´t worry, another word for my dictionary

What Hitec spline do you need it to be compatible? It´s not the same for all the Hitec servos.
May 09, 2008, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Andres ,the spline that is on an HS-81 servo. I suppose this doesn't matter anymore since I already ordered 2 of the hyperion servos. I ordered futaba servo arms also so I think I will have everything I need. Thank you though.
May 10, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ok, anyway I don´t have any HS81 to check it...
May 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
Today I received my Hyperion Atlas HP-DS13-TMB digital servos. So far I am very impressed. The programming allowed for around 140 degree rotaion, and then 135% endpoint adjustment in the radio brought it right around 180 degrees. I actually backed it off to around 175 degrees because the servo specs say that is the max, but it will turn a full 180. The movements are clean, smooth, vibration free. The resolution seems very high, I truely can't notice any steps in the arm motion. It is nearly the same size as an HS81, just slightly larger, and the shaft position is about .10 inches closer to the end of the servo. The spline is the futaba standard size, so my new futaba arms fit perfectly.
Last edited by CATPart; May 17, 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply