Thread Tools
May 18, 2017, 08:23 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
JamesPotts's Avatar
I put them both in the tail just ahead of the stabilizer LE. I placed one on each side and one of them is aft of the other so they don't touch each other. There wasn't enough room inside to have them at the same distance. I looked at some of the pics in the thread to see approximately where other builders put them and that seemed to be the most common place. I will place the battery wherever it needs to be to balance the craft.

I've spent some time this afternoon peeling the plastic coating from the PB3 parts that will be covered. I've found that if I leave it on there is a big problem with air bubbles in the covering. I don't think I will try to cover another model built from PB3 with iron on covering. The plastic coating is too hard to peel off. It comes off in very small pieces so it takes a lot of time to remove it.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2017, 05:32 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
ruff1's Avatar
Thanks, I cannot remember anything about mounting them. I guess it was just TLAR- I guess I eyeballed it and got them right. I do remember now the servos were offset.
I haven't completely exhausted my search for the control surface rods, that would have given me a good idea. Not sure I'll find them.
May 19, 2017, 05:34 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
ruff1's Avatar
BTW the battery compartment was per the location in the plans and the airplane balanced perfectly with a 3S 1500 mah.
May 20, 2017, 05:06 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
JamesPotts's Avatar
I haven't been doing much recently. I'm on a new medication and it's kicking my butt. Anyway, I got the wing covered. This PB3 foam is too problematic for iron on covering so next time I build with it I'll use tape or paint. This is likely to be the worst covering job I have ever done. I'll save the covering for MPF, DTF, and balsa models from now on.
May 20, 2017, 06:37 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
ruff1's Avatar
Sorry to hear about the med issues, no fun at all.

Today I glued the fuselage sides onto the monobloc and glued in the top aft wedge. The merge at the tail came out well. I used some tape for reference marks to get it right. I'll work from underneath to run wiring for the servos and get them installed before gluing in the bottom.
May 20, 2017, 09:23 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
ruff1's Avatar
I may run with some eggshell latex. One of my flying buddies got samples from Home Depot matched to paint over a repair and it looked great.
May 21, 2017, 05:19 PM
I meant to do that. Honest!
JamesPotts's Avatar
I hear a lot of people are using latex house paint now. I'll have to try it next time I build. I've been using acrylic artist paints thinned with Windex. It works well but the ammonia tends to lift the edges of the tape hinges slightly.

No wind this morning for the first time in weeks so we went flying. I had a very good day, Lots of fun and no crashing. Can't wait to fly this Piranha.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yippee! My new FFF aerobatic plane EKI16 Foamies (Kits) 1 Apr 18, 2004 08:53 PM
Aerobatic Plane 3 Views pgleesonuk Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 Feb 26, 2002 02:22 PM
Question Good aerobatic plane for GWS motor d12bn Parkflyers 7 Feb 01, 2002 07:20 PM
Aerobatic plane rides (NY area) LJH Electric Plane Talk 1 Sep 11, 2001 12:22 AM
Vote my new aerobatic plane in... kepople Electric Plane Talk 11 Jul 30, 2001 03:24 AM