** PIRANHA! ** - 43" fff/monoblock/kfm4 aerobat - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 07, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Wow Tony, great looking design! Looks like a fairly easy to build and will do all of the moves.

Kev, Nice job of building and tips on the build. Also great job of flying...I sure wish I could fly that well! Maybe someday if I keep practicing.

Ray
Ray, it is an easy build. Not too many parts and loads of performance.

Tony
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
thanks for the support guys; i really do appreciate it and it makes me feel very good about doing the beta. tony's designs prove time and again to be spot on. the piranha is no exception... it performs exactly as tony told me it would with no "real" changes to the plans.

jeff, my wife is the root beer lover, i'm the sunkist guy, hehe. it did turn out a bit on the heavy side & i'm sure others will chime in with lower AUW's. why? there's several possible factors: the white monoblock material i used is only a half hair heavier than the usual pink stuff... there's a lot of servo & battery wire... i wasn't what you could call "stingy with glue"... the extra long main gear & the heavy duty tail gear... regardless, i agree with what tony said, "beta builds tend to come out heavy". seriously though, it doesn't matter much, & like tony said, lighter is not always better for pattern style aerobatics. sailplane ppl also often add ballast for better wind penetration, and you'd think they'd be the stingiest with mass. to me it's plain and simple: as long as it lands safely and does the job well, it's not too heavy.

paul, just to be sure, the battery does go under the wing. i know there's a few steps that could use more pics for clarity. when i get back home i'll work on it.

kev

[ps: looks like there's wifi in my hotel room... yeahyes!]
May 08, 2008, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
paul, just to be sure, the battery does go under the wing. i know there's a few steps that could use more pics for clarity. when i get back home i'll work on it.

kev

[ps: looks like there's wifi in my hotel room... yeahyes!]
At first glance I thought Kev said, "there's a wife in my room" and I thought, "wow, some hotels think of everything!"

Paul, there is plenty of hatch space in this bird to place components for the correct CG. There is 17" x 2" x 1.875" (min) of hatch space forward of the aft wing saddle, separated with a single .875" divider (for structural strength). As well, the Piranha has a long nose, making balancing a breeze. You can place your components anywhere along that space.

Tony
May 08, 2008, 11:08 AM
X marks the spot
May 08, 2008, 04:55 PM
Out the Window
Kev
I need to find a better foam for my monoblocks. I have been using whatever I can find. My 42" BB has had trouble with the monoblock wanting to crumble. What are the white and pink stuff you refer to? I saw some 1/2 foam that looks good at Home Depot and it looked like it had very small cell size and came in a 4ft X 8ft for about $10, has anyone used it with success?

Thanks, ....again nice flying on the video!

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
why? there's several possible factors: the white monoblock material i used is only a half hair heavier than the usual pink stuff...

May 08, 2008, 06:30 PM
Ray
Some Lowes & Home Depot's have half sheets of pink or blue foam. The plan says 2" but I like two layers of 1" as it lets you cut slots for wires & ect. before glueing together which using Gorilla Glue gives you more Monoblock strength. Pin together 2 pieces & cut both pieces at one shot. Works for me.

Ken
May 08, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ray, Ken is on the money. You can get blue or pink foam at most home building centers. Either one works although I slightly prefer the blue. The 2" thickness is the easiest but the 1' laminated is slightly stronger. I would only use the white if I could get nothing else.

Tony
May 09, 2008, 09:25 AM
Out the Window
Thanks Ken and Tony, the next time I run into town I will pick up a sheet. I no longer make quick trips into town as it is about 20 miles each way and the price of gas....well you know the rest.

Thanks again,
Ray
May 09, 2008, 10:48 AM
Price of gas you ought to live in the UK, 1.10 a litre now ($2.30 ish).
And me with a Monaro (5.7Ltr V8), never mind i enjoy it , never have it showing instantaneous fuel consumption though,
scares you when you boot it (6-7 MPG maybe less) not there for long though.

Del
May 09, 2008, 11:10 AM
Cobra Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
And me with a Monaro (5.7Ltr V8), never mind i enjoy it , never have it showing instantaneous fuel consumption though,

Del
I also have a high horsepower car. 96 Ford Mustang Cobra. With its 10:1 compression ratio I can't run anything less than premium (91-93 octane). I also enjoy it. Hit the throttle and watch the speedometer and tachometer go up at the same speed and watch the fuel needle go down at the same rate. I can't afford to do that veru often though.
May 09, 2008, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd

Del
$2.30 ish Wish it was that cheap here. How about $3.85 as of this morning here in the sticks of New York. $4.04 for prem. Diesel $4.56 a gal.

Im working on a HHO generator. Going to beat the fuel companys.

Tony
Whats the ticket for the Piranha motor wise ? FC28-22 for a easy flight ? Im not a Tower Pro lover there to heavy for the power you get. Got either a
KA22-10S 1200kv or KA22-15M 1050kv also that arn't on anything.

Ken
May 09, 2008, 12:18 PM

Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
$2.30 ish Wish it was that cheap here. How about $3.85 as of this morning here in the sticks of New York. $4.04 for prem. Diesel $4.56 a gal.

Tony
Whats the ticket for the Piranha motor wise ? FC28-22 for a easy flight ? Im not a Tower Pro lover there to heavy for the power you get. Got either a

Ken
that's 2.30 "ish" a LITER so approx $8.00 per gallon, ha.

I've been to Scotland.... they DO pay the high prices.

smiling,

LarryR : )
May 09, 2008, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1

Tony

Ken
Ken, the FC28-20 will work very nicely and give you an easy flying plane with all the moves. The KA22-15 will make it scream, should give unlimited vertical and knife edge.

Tony
May 09, 2008, 06:52 PM
tony can you please tell me where i can get instructions on the kfm4 wing. i've been following the blu baby thread. the piranha looks like it's the plane i can fly here since we usually have 10-20 mph winds. got to fly my e star yesterday for the first time. a friend took it up, i flew around then he landed it for me. i tried to look at piranha plans but i'm also new at the computer. the mind sloows down with age. do you think it could be made all out of epp. hope to build and fly this some day. thanks

gramps
May 09, 2008, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps45
tony can you please tell me where i can get instructions on the kfm4 wing. i've been following the blu baby thread. the piranha looks like it's the plane i can fly here since we usually have 10-20 mph winds. got to fly my e star yesterday for the first time. a friend took it up, i flew around then he landed it for me. i tried to look at piranha plans but i'm also new at the computer. the mind sloows down with age. do you think it could be made all out of epp. hope to build and fly this some day. thanks

gramps
No sweat Gramps, The KFm4 assembly instructions are on page one with the plans. If you can handle ailerons, you can fly this plane. Just use small control movements until you get the hang of it.

Tony