May 06, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Introducing the "Space Ship," ( NOW SpaceShip MkII)

Hello again
Here is a picture and a few videos of a little pusher flying wing that I threw together from bluecor foam. The wing span is 24 inches and scoots right along on a 200 watt power system. I only have one really decent photo of the plane right now but the videos should give an idea about its stability and maneuverability

Flying the space ship (0 min 33 sec)

more space ship video (0 min 21 sec)

space ship in flight (0 min 34 sec)

I apologize for the quality of the video. I need to get a better camera plus the thing is tiny, fast and hard to videotape. There will be plans for this bird if there is any interest. Also the prototype needs a fuse rebuild following a little mishap involving high wind and a tree. I'll try and get better pictures during the rebuild.

-Trent
Last edited by tzyoung; Jul 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: changed title due to design update
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2008, 09:37 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
That's an interesting design! With that much fuselage forward of the main wing, I would almost think there would need to be a canard on it. How is the pitch stability without one?
May 06, 2008, 10:36 PM
Aim to Misbehave
Wow that rocks! more info please.BTW 200watts? are you sure? why don't the wings rip off?
Bob
May 06, 2008, 11:47 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE]
Quote:
With that much fuselage forward of the main wing, I would almost think there would need to be a canard on it. How is the pitch stability without one?
Well the design came about as a musing from the stuff I learned in stability and controls this semester. The whole idea of pitch stability is to have no net moment about the center of gravity. That is the definition of equilibrium. I achieved this by balancing the moment that the battery and airframe produces with an opposite pitching moment created by reflex in the wings. This is just a rectangular flying wing so the long fuse gives me a way to get that weight out in front enough to balance. So the aircraft is quite stable in pitch as long as the reflex is present. If no reflex was used, canards would be an excellent way to get that pitch stiffness back. But I like it better this way, It is more unconventional.

Quote:
Wow that rocks! more info please.BTW 200watts? are you sure? why don't the wings rip off?
There is a big honking piece of very hard balsa approxiamtley 1/4" x 1/8" forming a spar at the quarter chord of the wing. The wing is fanfold foam folded around the spar to form a very stiff wing. also the wings are quite stubby which helps in keeping the wings from ripping off.

Also I am quite sure about the 200 watt thing. I checked it on my astro watt meter. The videos just dont show be zipping by at full tilt, 1/3 throttle is all it needs to fly nicely. Also the plane weighs about 13 oz, produces about 17 oz of thrust, and will almost reach terminal velocity going upwards. Well maybe that last part is an exaggeration but the vertical performance is spectacular.

The motor started life as one of these http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/108040.asp I ripped out the garbage wind that was in it and put back 12 turns of 25 awg double stranded to get a kv of about 1850. Its pretty quick but I would like to see the thing go faster
-Trent

btw the plans are about 80% complete I just need to see some interest in order to justify making them pretty.
May 07, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'd love to see some plans!

PS
May 07, 2008, 01:01 PM
I saw tzyoung fly this thing this past sunday, and it is very fast. It seemed to be very stable. Nice build TZ.

By the way can you make it out to DIX field this Sat?

Got all my jets fixed...hehe
May 07, 2008, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Sorry man, I doubt you will see me at DIX until around august. I just finished moving back across the state today. If I find myself in Raleigh during the summer with one of my planes I'll try and let you know so we can do some flying.

-Trent
Jul 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
Thread OP

New Update on the Spaceship

Hello again,
It has been a while since I have updated this thread, but the SpaceShip is now the SpaceShip MkII. After the wind pushed the plane behind me on the flight line into a tree It was time to build a second more polished version. Here are a few sparse pictures of the build.
The model was finished in white tissue paper and Minwax Polycrylic. The Paint is cheap Apple Barrel Craft paint. And the clear coat is Future Floor Shine. I have yet to maiden this version but I hope it flies as well as the original.

Also, a note about the glue I use to join foam to foam. One of my pictures shows two bottles of glue sitting side by side. They are manufactured by the same adhesives company but one is sold specifically to the hobby industry at a significant markup. Guess which one I use now
Jul 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Are you planning to release the plans?
Jul 14, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Hi thewz,
I will eventually release the plans. I just need to sit down and finish hashing them out in AutoCad. Give me a few days and I will try to post them to this thread.

Thanks for your interest,
-Trent
Jul 14, 2008, 06:07 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzyoung
Hi thewz,
I will eventually release the plans. I just need to sit down and finish hashing them out in AutoCad. Give me a few days and I will try to post them to this thread.

Thanks for your interest,
-Trent
Thanks Trent!

Matthew
Jul 14, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thread OP

Here are the plans for MKI

Well how is this for quick. Here are a set of plans in .dwg format from AutoCAD 2004. I would appreciate it greatly if someone would kindly do the whole PDF tiled thing as I don't have the software. Also if a backward compatible version in dxf or dwg is needed I can gladly do that.

Enjoy
-Trent
Jul 16, 2008, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
I have a report on the maiden of MkII of this design. There wasn't one. The decision to move the verticals inboard and reduce their size did not work out as I had hoped. The plane had almost no yaw stability and instead of the graceful climb out that I got with the first one, the plane left my hand and immediately entered a death spiral. So If the plane is built as the plans indicate, you should have no problems getting it to fly well. I think I am going to shelve this design for a little while and turn my attention to a few other RC projects I have going.

If anyone decides to build this thing please post pics.
-Trent

Quick Reply