Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by Balin

Fly R/C planes with cockpit view video - idea

A friend of mine who doesn't fly R/C suggested this idea.

Put a miniature video camera in the cockpit (spy cameras sell for $80, have 700 ft. range), Transmit the video live to ? a laptop? or better yet a pair of virtual reality goggles. Fly by looking at the image taken by the video.

Seems like a cool idea, and most of the equipment is available as far as I can tell. I'm not much into figuring it out, just find the concept intriguing. Would change R/C flying experience totally.

Perhaps someone more clever than I could work this out and either 1) post the results or 2) market it and become a millionaire. I'll buy one.

Balin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2003, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by senor_paco
You mean like this?

A/V link
Old Jan 16, 2003, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by Steve H.
The military has been doing it for years.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by Andy W
Suggest you search the forums. This has been done (and discussed here) many, many times.
..a
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Balin
Well, I guess it wasn't a totally new idea

I have, by the way, quite a list of credits for "new" inventions that were already in existence. I've recently been working on an idea for a large round object that things will roll on, I'm going to call it the we-all. Still in beta.

Thanks for the links and ideas,
Balin
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by AMTJIM
"Bible Thumper"
Some guy on the glow side of ezone did a post on this. He wired the RX into a pair of VR goggles. I asked him if he ever gets sick, I can only play those 1st person shooter games (DOOM, DARKFORCES) for a short time before the video motion turns my stomach. He said he's had no problems. Finding the goggles seems to be a real trick though.