May 07, 2008, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
One company, we named all the computers after Indian tribes...I must have learnt em all.

How about a Winnebago?
Vint, But if I call it a Winnebago I'll have to build an flying car to tow behind it Don't know how well it would work, but it sure would get 'em talking

BTW, we got up to 20 mph winds this morning, and high winds are forecast at least through Saturday. Will keep one eye out the window looking for the first oppertunity to get this Guy in the air.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2008, 10:00 AM
I eat glue
How's about DakotaJoe?
May 07, 2008, 10:04 AM
How bout "Wagner's Opus" ( pronounced Vogner's) or mebbe "Wagota".
May 07, 2008, 10:51 AM
Fly2Build.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
.. to get this Guy in the air.

PAT
So you've decided on "Guy" Pat? Or, am I reading too much into the capital letter?

Simple. Elegant. Plain. I like it.

Mike

PS- Will it be "The Guy" or just "Guy". Let me know so Charlie will know what I'm ordering... Oh wait, "This Guy"??? I like them all!
May 07, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Scratch, As soon as the plans are done I'll pass the word that the short kits are available. I'll be doing this one on my own and offering it through my web site.

BTW, "Wagkota" is way up the list

PAT
May 07, 2008, 05:42 PM
Neophyte hacker
Or you can ask Joe when he signs it for you. What better way to 'stay out of trouble' as well as honor the inspiration.

And I do have to say that it is so much better looking in person.

charlie
May 07, 2008, 08:01 PM
Got Epoxy
Nice one Pat, It apears to have a little J3 / L4 apearance to it as well , how bout a J-Kota Nice color scheme by the way

Glenn
May 07, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thread OP

It Appears We Have a Winner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrub wacker
Nice one Pat, It apears to have a little J3 / L4 apearance to it as well , how bout a J-Kota Nice color scheme by the way

Glenn
Glen, Excellant suggestion! Also, very observant -- it is for sure a mix of Dakota and Cub. The two work together very nicely. And, the name J-Kota will not only keep Joe's identity in the loop, but will also eliminate any possibility of confusion between this offering and the original Dakota design kitted by BMJR. It is now officially dubbed -- J-Kota!

PAT
May 07, 2008, 09:48 PM
Got Epoxy
Thanks Pat , I feel like I just won the lottery but this is better

Glenn
May 08, 2008, 06:12 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Pat needs to work on this name. He has some great names but nothing beats "one for tea." I love that name.
May 08, 2008, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Well, we woke up to calm winds -- OK, reasonably calm -- what I mean is, it wasn't a gale -- alright, maybe a small gale -- so I went out for a test flight on the Dakota. When I got there it was questionably breezy, so I launched the L-4 first, just to "test the water" (so to speak). It was a little choppy, but figure it would be OK.

So, just after lift-off, the little Dakota proved herself very worthy in what evolved into some very nasty flying conditions over the next 3 minutes. The wind switched 3 times, getting stronger each time, and along with it came some incredible turbulence and wind sheer. After 5 or 6 minutes of flailing through the chop and trying to get a feel for a new and unfamiliar airplane, the breeze sort of dropped off, so though it might be a good time to set up the landing. So around we go into the pattern just in time to catch a wind sheer in the base leg turn that dropped the model about 15 feet in a 45 degree bank, but fortunately, got it leveled out just in time for a perfect 3 point tough down -- at full power!

Meanwhile, I'm standing there trying to get the taste of my shorts out of my mouth and noticed it had gone dead calm. So off we go again. Well, with the model at about 3 feet of altitude the wind jumped back up, but this time from behind. Here I am stuck at 3 feet, getting faster by the second, the light poles rapidly approaching, all the while I'm thinking that Mother Natured had suckered me, but good! The only way out now was a 180 degree turn, which went far better then it should have, again resulting in a perfect 3 point touch down.

And with that, I figured I'd gotten away with a maiden flight in far less then ideal conditions, and had dodged the bullet on a second flight that I should have been smarter then to even try, so figured it would be best take this thing home while it's still in one piece.

But during all this, the model really flew very well. The ailerons were surprisingly ineffective, but oddly, exhibited very little adverse yaw. The model turns well on rudder alone, and recovers the turn nicely with ailerons alone, but enters the turn poorly on just aileron. Using the rudder and ailerons in equal amounts, the model turned nicely, so for those who like to mix the two, flying the J-Kota will be just like flying a simple 3 ch. model. And for those who enjoy the challenge of flying both hands, the set up will work well too. However, as choppy as the air was, I'm not ready to render a judgement just yet, as it really needs to be flown in better air first. And as well as it handled the extremely lousy conditions, I really think it's going to be a terrific flyer in smoother air.

Meanwhile, it was too dark and overcast to get inflight shots, and besides, when I got the camera out to take the statics the battery was dead and it wouldn't turn on. Will try again tomorrow for the in-flights, and will get some static shots for sure. Now I can finish the plans so we can get this show on the road.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; May 08, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
May 08, 2008, 09:12 AM
In late 1948, my parents bought me a "DE Aerotrol" single-channel R/C radio kit, which I decided to build into my "under construction" Dakota.
I enlisted in the then-new USAF, the following March, so the Dakota project joined many hundreds of other things un-done, (I had a Lou Proctor "Antic" kit for 35 years, before I got a round toit).
Anyway, beautifully done, as always, Pat!

PS: Tom's Jenny is coming along well. At almost 81, the rigging is a bit difficult for him. (Tom designed the competition free-flight that was kitted by Veco as the "Navajo". Tom called it the "Alcor", and he & his late wife Joyce scored several 1/2A free-flight wins with their Alcors, in the early '50s. Tom is still a little sore at Joe, (who worked at Veco), for altering his design. No Navajo ever performed like the Alcor, with its phoney-looking, "pasted-to-the-sky" glide.

Edit; I was writing, while you were writing, so congratulations on that hairy flight. Keep us posted!
Roger.
Last edited by Lancer31; May 08, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
May 09, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thread OP

A Few Staitic Shots Before Flying

The winds were calm, and the sun was coming up.
May 09, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thread OP

And Then It Was Time To Fly

The air started out smooth and calm, and the new Little J-Kota flew beautifully! By the time thing started getting choppy the J-Kota had almost 40 minutes flying time and had proved herself a terrific little flyer.

And with that, it's time to finish the paperwork. If all goes well, the Short Kits should be shipping by the end of next week.

PAT
May 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
Got Epoxy
Glad to here the J-kota maidened well Pat, looks nice in the air, It's going to be a fun one to build and looks as though it's a nice little floater, just right for the small parks I fly in (crash in)

Glenn

Quick Reply