May 06, 2008, 09:41 AM
It's lookin' good, I like those cylinders, nice touch. Maybe sombody will be inspired to build a man-carrying version.
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2008, 09:45 AM
Thread OP

Detailing the Cowl

The engine details were painted and the cowl finished up. The cowl was screwed in place using the prop to set up the final alignment. The prop was then wood grained using Model Master enamels.
May 06, 2008, 09:49 AM
Thread OP

Rigging the Wings and Tail Group

The bottom wing was aligned and glued in place. Then the tail section was aligned to the bottom wing and glued in place. And finally, the top wing was set up and glued on.

The neat part of this design is that the Interplane Struts set up the wing alignment making mounting the top wing totally painless. And since the wings are cantilevered, no rigging is required. As biplanes go, you won't find an easier one to set up.
May 06, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Dakota

At this point. the model is just about ready to go. The only thing left now is to set up the CG, mount the components on the inside, and get the hatches set up. And then, it'll be time to fly!

PAT
May 06, 2008, 02:00 PM
Thread OP

Waiting for the Wind to Go Down

In the end, the Dakota finished at 14.6 oz. with the 1320 2 cell battery. That puts the wing loading just over 5 1/4 oz. / sq. ft. so it should be a real gentle flyer.

Meanwhile, the RC Hotdeals 22208 Outrunner is making 39 watts @ 5.1 amps of current draw (42.7 watts/lb) with the APC 8-3.8 prop at 6900 RPM, delivering a potential top speed of just over 24 mph. It should work.

So from here, we wait for a calm morning to see how she flies. Pictures will follow as soon as it happens.

PAT
May 06, 2008, 02:45 PM
Fly2Build.com
Very nice Pat. Looks like an easy build (of course you make them all look that way). Will you recommend/market something like this for a first time scratchbuilder wanting a bipe? I suspect it may have trainer like flight characteristics as well with the ultra light wing loading.

Very pleasing, clean lines.
Mike
May 06, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Mike, I'll definately offer a short kit for the model, but out of respect for Joe Wagner I won't call it a Dakota, but will have to come up with some kind of similar name that could be easily related to it. Still thinking on that one, but should be able to come up with something catchy.

And yes, it is very easy to build. There's no cabin outfill or stringers in the fuselage. The wings are a simple egg crate with the only thing outside the realm of "dirt simple" being the bowed wingtips and horizontal stab outlines. Another plus is that there is no wing attachment structure to deal with since it's a "one piece" model. In other words, for someone looking for a quick and simple build for a classy looking non-scale-scale-model, the new Dakota might just do the trick.

PAT
May 06, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hmm.... you're in New Mexico. How about [/I]South[I] Dakota? (Groan!!)

I built a couple of Dakotas years ago, Cox and Atwood .049s. They were great sport models. SAM 86 had an event a few years ago based on the climb/glide ratio. It didn't matter how long the engine run was - the ratio was always darn near 1:1!!

Martin
May 06, 2008, 09:42 PM
Two left thumbs
Man, do you ever build 'em fast!!!

How about "Lakota," so Joe Wagner won't Sioux you?
May 06, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Martin, The last FF Dakota I built was a bit finicky on launch, and if not done right, it would settle into about a 10' circle at an 80 degree bank about 3 feet off the ground and stay that way till the engine quit. The resulting cartwheel was nothing short of SPECTACULAR!

Geoff, Actually, this one has been in the works for awhile, just didn't post it up till the framing and part of the covering was done. But in spite of that, it does build very quickly. From start to finish I might have about 35 hours in the build, including making the parts corrections on the drawings. A big plus was having the cowl and wheel pants in hand and not having to work up the original plugs for vac-forming.

I thought about naming it after the capitol of either North or South Dakota, but Pierre doesn't cut it, and calling it "The Bismarck" just ain't right. I could call it the "Albuquerkota", but I can't spell it so that's out. But to give credit where credit is due, there's always "Joekota". Will have to think on it a bit more.

PAT
May 06, 2008, 10:56 PM
You are almost there -- how about "Joe's 'Kota" or "Da 'Kota" by Joe...?

Pete G.
May 07, 2008, 04:32 AM
One company, we named all the computers after Indian tribes...I must have learnt em all.

How about a Winnebago?
May 07, 2008, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
One company, we named all the computers after Indian tribes...I must have learnt em all.

How about a Winnebago?
There is a sort of Caravan/Camper by that name, fairly popular in the USA for the past forty years or so. For that reason the name brings up the wrong image for an airplane.

Since it is much bigger than the original and the name should relate to it's source why not simply call it SuperDak and let the newcomers figure out where the name came from.

In any case it not only looks great, it probably would make an interesting home built.

Hmm... I wonder how big brushless motors come? Imagine a home built with dummy cylinders!

Pete
May 07, 2008, 08:10 AM
Fly2Build.com
"JowaKota" captures the essence of Joe Wagner's Dakota.

Then there's the simple "Da'Kota" but say it like your sitting around the bar table eating Bratwurst and beer in the Saturday Night live skit: "Da-Bears".

Quick Reply