Jan 15, 2003, 10:02 PM
Thread OP

Quaker Flash 1937 alias The Grasshopper

This is a Ben Buckle English made kit that is Vintage Class Old Timer Design. Originally this plane was a free flight. It has a 72 inch wing span and has a 40 OS FP Engine. This kit uses true cane wing tips. I use a 4 channel Futaba radio with controls for the rudder and elevator. This plane flies great!, it is gentle and forgiving. The guys at my flying club call her the Grasshopper.

Enjoy,

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2003, 10:22 PM
Jack,
That is one fine looking plane. How long have you had it?
Don
Jan 15, 2003, 10:31 PM
Thread OP

Quaker Flash

Don,

I have had the plane for 2 years and have 35 flights without a crash. Thanks for the compliment.

Jack
Jan 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks Jack,
Did you pick it up directly from the MFG or is it available here in the US?
Don
Jan 15, 2003, 11:07 PM
Thread OP

Quaker Flash Kits

Don,

I orginally bought the plane in the box from another member of our flying club. You can order directly from Ben Buckle on the internet, type Ben Buckle Antique RC Kits. They are all hand cut on scroll saws in England. The kits are expensive. They make other Quaker Kits that were orginally free flight planes and converted them for RC. Hope this helps.

Jack
Jan 15, 2003, 11:59 PM
Thread OP

1937 Quaker Flash kits

Don,

The kit can be purchased from Flair Products Ltd. Back in 37 or so the plane was free flight. Ben Buckle converted quite a few old timers into RC. The (high off the ground landing gear) was created to save props since props at that time had to be made by hand as I understand.

low and slow,
Jack
Jan 16, 2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks for your time and info Jack. You've done a great job on the plane and it looks like a classic old timer.
Don
Jan 16, 2003, 09:11 AM
Purple power
don: the flash is a great flyer. there are dozens out here equiped with lights for night flying. very stable. .....gregg
Jan 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
I haven't seen any Greg, I thought it sure looks like a nice conversion canidate.... which I hate to say over in this forum...
Jan 16, 2003, 03:15 PM
Purple power
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sims
I haven't seen any Greg, I thought it sure looks like a nice conversion canidate.... which I hate to say over in this forum...
i agree Don. unfortunately all the ones i've seen are i.c......
Jan 17, 2003, 11:44 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Jack, how did you find the 'buildability' of the Quaker kit? I have the actual Taylorcraft 0-57 "Grasshopper" model kit from Ben Buckle that I haven't started yet.

It's about the same size at 70" span. I'm thinking of powering it with electric or with an oldtimer .60 size spark ignition engine.
Jan 17, 2003, 06:39 PM
Thread OP

Quaker Flash building

Gerald- I found the building of the Quaker Flash very tedious. My kit was several years old, maybe they have changed to lazer cut since then. It took me off and on, most of a winter to finish the kit.
At the time of construction, I wanted to know the wing loading and flight characteristics of this plane. I wrote to Ben Buckle and the Antique Fliers of America. I was unable to find out any flight characterics from either of them. I had a super test plilot in our club test fly the plane, it flew very well. I am sure any of the Ben Buckle kits could be converted to electric. The kit is well made and all parts are supplied to complete the plane.

Quick Reply