May 20, 2008, 04:52 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock
How did the picture get the "DHC-2" caption? It's a -6! Tex.
Aw shucks, I missed that . Well, it was a quick "edit"...

Cheers,
Steve
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
Pug Pilot
I would definitely buy one if E-Flite manufactures them. This is such a beautiful plane both land and float versions. I would probably have two, one for dedicated floats and one as an aerial photography platform. j/k. Besides the new 3DHS planes that were unveiled at SEFF, this is the one plane that caught my eye and made me drool a bit.

One Big Vote of YES for me for the B) $400 - $475 range.
Last edited by moxjett; May 21, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
Jul 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Well, I don't recall the EXACT details, but wingspan is somewhere in the 84" to 86" range, and weight of the prototype is around 10 1/4 to 10 1/2 pounds. I can't remember if that was with or without batteries, but either way, it feels light for its size.

The Power 25 is proving to be a popular size for electrics because you can still use 3S batteries and get good performance. This setup seems to be ideal for this airplane. Each 3200 pack is installed in the nacelle just behind the firewall, just like the Deuces Wild. John also installed the counter-rotating spinners & props from the Deuces Wild on the Twin Otter, and it seems to fly great.

The big thing for us is not answering the question "Is there enough interest" to do this Twin Otter, but rather, "Are customers willing to pay what this is really going to cost?"

This is a big airplane with an expensive airframe, and it has turned out to be more expensive than we had initially anticipated. Without going so far as starting a separate poll, I wonder if you could provide us some feedback on this thread about where you think this one will be priced?

Here are three choices:

A) $350 - $400
B) $400 - $475
C) $475 - $550

If you could provide some reasoning behind why you think that's the right choice (guided by a healthy dose of what YOU would be willing to pay), it would help us to make our decision.

Thanks,

David
Horizon Hobby
The Hangar 9 B25 is very similar in size and complexity and sells for $399. So, I would think that the model flown SEFF should also sell for around $400.
Why not just let everyone know how much the SEFF Twin Otter would have to cost to make a profit and then...... let people decide what they would do? I personally really like the model in the size built, and after looking at some full size planes with big tires for landing on a lake shore etc., I think the model is a all around model for grass fields in particular. I believe that a lot of people are buying $400. to $500. planes in ARF form. Learnin
Sep 04, 2008, 11:19 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
I would buy it or any scale twin. Plan to buy the beaver for ski this winter. The twin otter would permit me to start my bush company

Carguy
Sep 07, 2008, 05:04 PM
Can't leave well enough alone
Two cents from a certified bush plane NUT (who love to build and fly):

First: I LOVE dHC planes and anyone willing put models of their planes in the air gets a big cheer from me!

Cons: (I always start with cons 'cause I like to end on a positive note, in this case VERY positive) For such good representations, I am dismayed at the cowel of the Beaver; something is just off (maybe the opening diameter-to-outer diameter ratio?). The Otter prototype has a similar issue; the nacelles look way too big. Granted, that was about the only spot in which they admitted to straying from true scale. What is the reason for that? In the photos, it looks like there would still be plenty of room for the battery if they shrunk the nacelles back that 1/2" they enlarged it from scale. But I knit-pick, niether issue would keep me from buying and enjoying these models!

Pros: When I saw the ARF Beaver in the Horizon catalog being offered for $160 my reaction was, "Holy COW, now THAT is a GREAT plane (size, paint scheme, ARF to boot) for an AMAZING price!!" When you consider that far lesser planes are sold at a similar price, it is a real STEAL! (and my tax bracket is that of a lowly hourly-rate warehouse worker!) My rational is this: in spite of the lack of color choice, and look of the cowling, I can get THAT plane, in THAT size, made by THAT manufacturer, for THAT PRICE? THAT is an amazing deal. I didn't even have to think twice before i slapped my card down...

It seems to me that since the Twin Otter is roughly twice the size/complexity of the Beaver, twice the price would still retain that same "WOW factor". A list of of $400 and a sale price of $350 is probably going to have a lot of takers. It might make me think twice... $300 to $350 and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment! With that, there is still the ablility to finish it without eating Ramman Noodles for the next year, nor shrink/divorce lawyer bills when I crash it!

Since the livery colors are an issue, how about taking a cue from the RTR car market? Do it up in solid white and offer different large STICKER sheets (one basic included, others at additional cost)? For those who want to get out flying, they could have it looking cool in mere minutes. For those of use with the desire/determination/skill, we could really change up the colors by more advanced covering over top or paint, granted with a slight weight penalty (but for the size/power I don't think it would be too much of a factor). This method would keep manufacturing cost even lower, while still offering choices to both the ARF type folks and custom options open to us builder types. Just a thought...

Can't wait to see it hit the shelves!
Sep 07, 2008, 10:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
The deuces wild goes for 299$ so I would bet on a price between 300 and 330 $ for the Twin Otter. Remember that the Hangar 9 B-25 is sold for 399$ and it is fairly large so I would go for a 319 $ Twin otter.

I agree with syncrosott that it would be great to have the choice of finish, either between two planes (One canadian and one US?) or having decals for the numbers and markings (at the very least numbers).

The trick with electric is having to buy different batteries for different models. If it could fly on two ( or four) 2100 3S, it would bring the operational cost down for those who have 450 Helis and planes that use those batteries. Thats what I plan on using in the Beaver with the Power 25.

Anyway as soon as it comes out if the paint scheme is good (Please not military), I'm on it !

Carguy
Sep 07, 2008, 10:07 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
How about this baby ?

Edit: ooops, was already posted in the thread...anyway this is a NICE Twin Otter !
Sep 07, 2008, 11:32 PM
id love to see it.
Sep 08, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'm in the band
One of my all time faves. A little on the large side for where I fly though. would kill for something in the 400 450 480 size ala p-38 or taylorcraft. looks awesome though.
Sep 08, 2008, 11:06 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Rabidears

Ask and you shall be eared:

http://www.rtmodels.com/products/TwnOtter.htm

Carguy
Sep 08, 2008, 11:22 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Rabidears

Ask and you shall be eared:

http://www.rtmodels.com/products/TwnOtter.htm

Carguy

Negative Ghostrider..

Explanation

HTH,
Steve
Sep 08, 2008, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
I admired that plane every time I walked past it when at SEFF and kept wondering when is the release date on this one as it's a "MUST HAVE"

Randy
Sep 08, 2008, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
Negative Ghostrider..

Explanation

HTH,
Steve
Steve, good that you caught this. There have been too many people who were taken by this guy. I did manage to get my Twin Otter and Mossie kits from him only after some mild threats and use of the shame method. I was supposed to get a full kit of the Otter but received the short kit. I should consider myself to be very lucky as there are more than a few people who will never get hteir kits or their money back. It's a shame that someone like Mark would treat customers in this manner, but considering his reputation at the local level, it's clearly to see why.
Sep 08, 2008, 06:55 PM
I won't be buying one of these at anytime. My father bought one of the first E-flite Beaver kits and its a piece of junk. He has basically had to rebuild it. Also since E-flite raised there prices I will be going back to kits. If you want a fantastic Twin Otter ( and don't mind scratch building or luck out like I did, buy one already built) Get Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter plans. Its fantastic plane.

Colin
Sep 08, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Thread OP
I would love to see a Twin Otter. Looking at those pictures it is obvious that this plane would be the envy of any flying field. It is beautiful. I can only imagine the low flyby followed by the perfect bush landing at my local un-mowed flying site!

Quick Reply