Feb 03, 2020, 07:05 PM
Very technical stuff! Flat black spray paint.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale4040
Very technical stuff! Flat black spray paint.
Yeah, I should have figured that, but it almost looked like some sort of covering or sticky sheet material. Think I might try that if I can mask the curve correctly.
Feb 12, 2020, 02:05 PM

Done!

Finally finished the Otter float project. All that's left is to keep visualizing a no-drama maiden!

AUW is 6.95 kilo. Unfortunately I didn't weigh it with the land gear on but I think it's safe to say I've probably added a bit less than a kilo. With the power 32's I had very good thrust before so I'm not worried about that.

I don't have a cg balance holder but doing it by hand it seems to not require any weight re-distribution. if anything it's about a degree nose down which is better than the other way! Differential thrust is programmed with the gear switch being the on-off.

Maiden probably in March sometime.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:55 PM
An unexpected error occurred
With the Power 32 motors, she's like a rocket ship, so no worries there.
Your estimation of having added about a kilo seems just right.
I'm sure you will absolutely love how this model flies.
Good luck with the maiden, and keep us posted!
Feb 12, 2020, 05:11 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
.... about a degree nose down ....
Not sure how you prefer to fly but that sounds like the farthest forward that I would have it. Any more and I found it hard to slow down. I ran it just a tick behind center of recommended range and it was just a hair nose down. I found it easier to control approach.
Feb 12, 2020, 05:52 PM
My estimate is far from scientific. I put the meter on top of the plane at the most flat spot. I will have a competent pilot next to me to handle any quickly needed trim adjustments.
Feb 12, 2020, 09:34 PM
No bounce, No play.
That's what I always gauged for level, the most constant section of fuse
Feb 13, 2020, 06:36 PM
stegl
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmett75
I was able to find one thru Flying Giants.
New in box and should be here next week.

Already have some spektrum servos, just need to get the power 24 motors and esc.

James
Agree with CurrentDude that the Eflite Power 32's would be a better option, That's if you wanted to stay with Eflite.

You did a great job on the float mounts ; especially those front ones.... They are cool !!!
When you try and move the wings up and down is the fuse fairly rigid with the floats ?
Last edited by stegl; Feb 13, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
Feb 13, 2020, 09:47 PM
This is what boring rainy days gets you. I hacked together this parachute men ejector or dispenser or whatever you want to call it. It fits completely inside and is easily removable. Held in with one screw. I can push out 5 of the parachute dudes I got on Amazon if I fold them right and they're not packed in tight. The rear cargo door is held open with a magnet while the front stays closed so flaps are still usable. Made a removable 4oz weight to offset the ejector. Will be just a tad tail heavy fully loaded and not too nose heavy when empty. No air drops yet. Just the one off the table in video. Will test fly this weekend hopefully.
Parachute men ejector for Hangar 9 Twin Otter. (0 min 21 sec)
Feb 14, 2020, 01:06 AM

Parachutists

That's very cool. You need to video that in the air. I thought about that but knew I wouldn't know where to start. Looks like youve got it

And Stegl, the floats are rock solid--very much a part of the plane. I'll be aiming for some slippery landings...dont want to test my handmade mounts too much.
Feb 17, 2020, 06:32 PM
It worked! First time up it jammed but then worked after cycling the switch. this is the second attempt and it spit out all 4 although one poor dudes chute did not deploy. I just have to get a packing system down and I think I could get 6 out. Also need a stronger servo.
Twin Otter parachute drop (1 min 13 sec)
Feb 18, 2020, 02:27 AM
An unexpected error occurred
That is so neat :-)
I considered something similar and yet different, by attaching a steerable parachutist to the bottom, but I chickened out by the risk of this thing hitting the rear stab in any way, crippling my Twin Otter...
A fellow club member had an incident like that last summer, ejecting parachutes from the rear of a cargo plane model, and one got stuck in the elevator, unfortunately. It went down pretty fast and ugly.
In your case, it looks like they are ejected downward, so you should be safe(r)?
Feb 18, 2020, 09:36 PM
These started falling immediately and the stab is already higher than the top of the door. I don't think it will be a problem at all. My first attempt was using half flaps but I was flying downwind so we could see them come out. I plan to use full flaps if possible to fly as slow as I can and the flap should block some of the airflow pushing them back towards the stab. I'm going to install a more powerful servo to help prevent jamming. this one just isn't getting enough leverage with the long arm if there is any binding at all. That, plus folding up the chutes consistently, and I should be able to drop 5 all the time.
Feb 19, 2020, 02:15 AM

Cool

Looked awesome!
Feb 19, 2020, 02:50 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Finally finished the Otter float project. All that's left is to keep visualizing a no-drama maiden!

AUW is 6.95 kilo. Unfortunately I didn't weigh it with the land gear on but I think it's safe to say I've probably added a bit less than a kilo. With the power 32's I had very good thrust before so I'm not worried about that.

I don't have a cg balance holder but doing it by hand it seems to not require any weight re-distribution. if anything it's about a degree nose down which is better than the other way! Differential thrust is programmed with the gear switch being the on-off.

Maiden probably in March sometime.
Those 3-bladed props look fantastic. I may need to go in that direction.

Quick Reply