May 04, 2008, 08:19 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Build Log

Breaking News... Romulan Warship Under Construction.

As if the Superior Technology of the Klingon Bird of Prey was not enough, There are now rumors of a new warship under construction in the Romulan Shipyards.

This D'Deridex class warship should outperform even the Fabled Klingon Bird of Prey.

p.s. I sure hope my new motors get here soon. I am out of hardware!
Last edited by SGTalon; Jul 11, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2008, 10:10 AM
OOH! I can see this with some printed tracing paper graphics.
How big a bird will she be?
May 04, 2008, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
30" span and 36" long.

My attempt at building the Klingon Bird of Prey didn't fly... looked awesome though!

I am working on getting the Klingon to fly well before i begin construction on this. It seems to me that the problems will be similar with the forward swept wing and all that.

I am not the type to do the beautifully decorated planes. I toss a coat of paint on them, maybe a stripe or 2 then i am flying.

I have plans for a few more Star Trek planes then i am on to building Star Wars planes. But i want to make these work. I think that the problems i am having with the Bird of Prey will be the same on an X-Wing for instance.

Looks sweet though!
May 04, 2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry about the "Bird of Prey".

The motor on this looks a little too forward with the FSW.
It looks good. I don't have good luck painting but I learned to print on tracing paper and how to glue it from when I played with Aero Aces.
May 04, 2008, 12:11 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
That looks realy great!

How do you think it will handle with all that vertical area ahead of the CG?
May 04, 2008, 03:28 PM
Brian
Nice!!! I think 2008 is going to have alot of federation battles, hehe. Keep up the good work!!!
May 04, 2008, 07:32 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Humm just wondering how you plan on handling the cloaking device. From what I understand, cloaking consumes a lot of power. Just wondering if your going to use a separate lipo for that?
May 04, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
The CG for a forward swept wing is much farther forward that people think. I used Chara's Harpy as a starting point to figure out where to put the CG His is actually in front of the wing root!

How is the vertical fuse on this plane any different from any other pusher?

I have seen a few comments on planes that have vertical surfaces forward of the CG... I am not sure i follow the argument. Is it only vertical surfaces? why don't horizontal surfaces make a difference?

I think that my design problems stem from the forward swept wings. I am going to have to see what my design changes do for me on the Klingon ship.

I am not sure how i am going to handle the Cloak. Power requirements may force me to find some dilithium crystals and build a tiny resonance chamber. Luckily i would not need a very big crystal for the size of ship i am building.
May 04, 2008, 08:03 PM
GPW's B-2 (revisited, not exact scale), did not fly well until the chopped off the tiny fuse on top which was in front of the CG. Strange, cause the vertical fuse wasn't very big anyway.

- Jeff
May 05, 2008, 01:59 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
The CG for a forward swept wing is much farther forward that people think. I used Chara's Harpy as a starting point to figure out where to put the CG His is actually in front of the wing root!

How is the vertical fuse on this plane any different from any other pusher?

I have seen a few comments on planes that have vertical surfaces forward of the CG... I am not sure i follow the argument. Is it only vertical surfaces? why don't horizontal surfaces make a difference?

I think that my design problems stem from the forward swept wings. I am going to have to see what my design changes do for me on the Klingon ship.
A large vertical component well forward of the CG will make the plane difficult to turn especially with elevon only controls. Your design may not be affected by this if the CG is far enough forward. If it's not you may have a plane that fights the direction you want to point it.

The horizontal surface contributes mainly to lift not to yaw stability.

Really stable planes have the tailfeather way out in back with a CoG well in the wing root and not a lot of vertical area foreward of the CoG.
May 05, 2008, 07:17 AM
The rudders are only for yaw control. Take a plane like an F 18 with the long nose. Needs those two big rudders to keep the tailpipes at the back I still have an old Hustler delta I built back in the mid 60s. Fired it up about ten yrs ago. Tooled around for about five minutes when one rudder fell off from dried out, weak Ambroid glue. Still flew fine with one rudder till it fell off too. Went into a flat spin rotating very fast but not losing much altitude. Hit the ground with no damage. Epoxied the rudders back on and it still flies. Why not build a 1 ft. span glider using the planform you have. Shhould take about half an hr. put some reflex/ a bit of up elev. weight the front to get a fast flat glide. Add rudder area till it flies straight. If it oscilates back and forth sideways, called dutch roll, it needs more rudder area. Once you get the bugs out of it then build your bigger, powered one without changing any of the parameters. Will save you a lot of frustration. More food for thought.

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; May 05, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
May 05, 2008, 11:03 AM
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
The rudders are only for yaw control. Take a plane like an F 18 with the long nose. Needs those two big rudders to keep the tailpipes at the back I still have an old Hustler delta I built back in the mid 60s. Fired it up about ten yrs ago. Tooled around for about five minutes when one rudder fell off from dried out, weak Ambroid glue. Still flew fine with one rudder till it fell off too. Went into a flat spin rotating very fast but not losing much altitude. Hit the ground with no damage. Epoxied the rudders back on and it still flies. Why not build a 1 ft. span glider using the planform you have. Shhould take about half an hr. put some reflex/ a bit of up elev. weight the front to get a fast flat glide. Add rudder area till it flies straight. If it oscilates back and forth sideways, called dutch roll, it needs more rudder area. Once you get the bugs out of it then build your bigger, powered one without changing any of the parameters. Will save you a lot of frustration. More food for thought.

Gord.

Thank you, I was beginning to feel like a broken record telling people to build the chuck glider version first. I spent alot of time with new ideas, dived right into them into full rc format, only to find I forgot some critical design element after the fact. It saves your gear going this route as well.

Keep in mind, these were never designed for real flight, they are based upon fiction and the designers obviously were not intending it for real flight at all, so deviating from the stock look and base design is likely always going to be necessary.
May 05, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
My Reliant didn't
May 05, 2008, 11:14 PM
Fractal Integrator

looked familiar

Look what I found in this box.

Your solid model looks dead on. I cut mine out from a 3 view.
I had to add much weight to the nose, and at least the vertical surface to get anything close to a stable glide.

Matt

PS: Watch out for the Raider on yer tail!
May 06, 2008, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Yeah i am going to go with full span elevons on both wings, Tail will have a rudder and i may drop a canard control on the nose.

The Forward swept wings require the CG to be very far forward on the wingspan. My Klingon was nearly at the leading edge at the wing root.

Quick Reply