SuperSkids3D Reviewed! *Updated 5/5* *Pictures Added* - RC Groups
May 04, 2008, 01:19 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Mini-Review

SuperSkids3D Reviewed! *Updated 5/5* *Pictures Added*

Alright, so this is my first REAL review, so please, bear with me.
Tools

Common Sense (The one that is rarely found? )
Small Precision Philips Screwdriver #0 (or #00? Maybe)
Some Gripping Fabric (When you're pushing the skid through the hole.

Packing
Mine were sent via First Class Mail USPS, from Maine.
Was expecting about 4 days delivery. (Was told they would be shipped on Thursday 5/1/08) They came, amazingly, today (Saturday 5/3/08) From Maine, to California, in ~2 days. Amazing job!

Opened up the package, which was nicely taped up, and ready to be cut open with my razer blade, and saw my SuperSkids3D. No foam, since none was needed, there was bumps on the bottom, to make sure the package did not bump around in the box.

Took out the package, included was:
Antenna Tube
2 Skids (Aluminum?)
2 Plastic Mounts (With adapters readily screwed in)
Small Ziploc Baggy w/ Silicone Tubes, and battery hooks, etc.)
Instruction Manual (With by the way, was awesome, took awhile to understand it since I had a little headache from the previous night, took a nap, and opened it, and made COMPLETE sense. No more enlighs)

Building

Was straightforward, and easy. Takes awhile to notice the informative picture in the manual, but once you see it, it's nice.

I, personally, was adding this to one of my Honey Bee FP's WITH LiPo, to replace my HeliDirect "Super Landing Gear". (The imitation of superskids)

So, with ESky's silly mounts, you have to reverse ONE of the adapter (I believe the front one, shouldn't matter much) and you're good.

Attaching to ESky Honey Bee FP (For Me)

Took my handy #0 Philips Screwdriver, took off the imitation "Super Landing Gear" from HeliDirect, and put on my REAL SuperSkids3D, just as I put my HeliDirect skids on. Take out the screws, drive em into the frame, and fly!

Recommended?
HIGHLY
It is stronger, lighter, nicer, clean look, shiny look, realistic look, and durable. I can't emphasize enough! These are great.

Comparism (To the HeliDirect Skids)

While the HeliDirect skids are nice, and somewhat light, they are cheap, and not well machined. (The plastic parts, or mine at least) They have noticeable black splotches, which ruins my helicopter.

BUT, the SuperSkids are lighter, nicER, strongER, and more recommended. (By me at least) I had no carving, or drilling for the antenna tube hole, since it was properly machined!

Comparism (To the Stock Honey Bee FP's Landing Gear)

This is just by memory now, but I believe the stock was much lighter, as it was simply carbon fiber, silicone tubes, and plastic. It was NOT strong.

SuperSkids3D is just about the same, except, it has aluminum, plastic, silicone, battery tray, stronger, and a bit heavier, for those who are still somewhat learning.

Weight

I, personally, do NOT have a digital scale, (Yeah yeah yeah, I need to pick one up), but I stopped by at the USPS and they let me use their scale real quick.

With battery and stock canopy(DN Power 900mAh 7.4V 2S) they measured it at 287.9 GRAMS

WithOUT battery and stock canopy they measured it at 277.3 GRAMS

In Flight

I was doing some nice circuits, and did NOT notice a difference (or at least a big one) from my old HeliDirect "Super Landing Gear". My circuits are definitely FFF, and then I took it into a nice hover. The wind blew it around a LITTLE (Every other minute or so) but my heli didn't even care.

Pictures

Here =)

Bottom Line

Well worth the $20, pay the extra $7 and shipping, and you'll be happIER (At least, I am! )

Regards,
rawfuls

P.S. If I missed anything you would like to know, please post!

Edit:
After talking with the wonderful customer service super-skids have, I have finally concluded with some more information.

Stock Ni-MH Battery: 88 Grams
Stock HBFP w/ Stock Battery: 301 Grams
Stock HBFP w/o Stock Battery: 213 Grams
Stock HBFP Landing Gear: Around 13 Grams
SuperSkids 3D weight is 26 Grams, which is the weight of about 3-4 pieces of printer paper.

Also, the way my skids were on before, does NOT matter. It's more of a users preference. So I just changed mine... It looks nicer this way I guess...
Last edited by rawfuls; May 06, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2008, 01:35 AM
Heli and Car Addict
By The Way:
While doing circuits (around a tree) I helped my dad trim some leaves

But, anyways, I was trying to flare coming from a FFF nose in, and kind of clipping the ground, tipped over, and hit the wall, skids first (It was really weird flip).

Then, I cut power, needed to scratch my nose and forgot how high 5 ft was. Hit my superskids3d so hard on the ground. Thought they were gonna snap right off. Picked it up, checked it and saw no damage. Took it in, and saw some light brown scratches. REALLY amazed.
May 04, 2008, 01:40 AM
Future 3D heli flyer,
Great write up kid
I'll give you a B+ (no video or pics )
May 04, 2008, 01:41 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
I agree. Nice review! But pictures are a must!
May 04, 2008, 09:14 AM
Heli and Car Addict
MEANIE

Hehe, yeah yeah yeah, I'll get em up.

Hmm, should I rebuild it and take pictures on the way? NAH :-D
I guess I should just take a final picture of my FP?
May 04, 2008, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls
So, with ESky's silly mounts, you have to reverse ONE of the adapter (I believe the front one, shouldn't matter much) and you're good.

P.S. If I missed anything you would like to know, please post!
As far as I can remember, I reversed both mounts. The screws facing upwards for other helicopters should be facing the back for both skids.
May 04, 2008, 10:06 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Right. Mine came with only one reversed...
Pictures uploading to photobucket now.
May 04, 2008, 10:44 AM
Attached is a picture of how my SuperSkids 3D are set up.
May 04, 2008, 11:25 AM
Heli and Car Addict
That's a nice antenna setup you have there. Can you get me a separate picture for it? I might just have to steal your idea

Anywho, pictures are up on the first post.
May 04, 2008, 11:30 AM
Can't see your pics rawfuls. Still a good review!

EDIT: Now they suddenly popped up!
Last edited by Frojd; May 04, 2008 at 11:42 AM.
May 04, 2008, 11:34 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Yeah, I was having some photobucket problems. Was trying to make em smaller... Didn't wanna ruin my upload time by deleting pictures, and reupload and repeating 3 times. >.< But the pictures are
May 04, 2008, 11:35 AM
Is getting old...
nice review, i might buy a pair after my learning stage because im far in already with spare parts. I got some blade cp gear and the training gear on and they have not broke yet
May 04, 2008, 11:38 AM
Heli and Car Addict
This will add a nice finishing training touch, so you can show off to your friends, while you HBFP is on the shelf eager to try out the new SuperSkids3D
May 04, 2008, 11:44 AM
Is getting old...
sounds great when i FIRST just opened my hbfp 2 of my buddies came over and i never flew it yet just spun it up and set it up, one of them wanted to try it out. No i did not let him try it out, but i had to go check something downstairs and my hbfp was upstairs with my buddies my tx was put away. A battery was in the heli and just as i say to him DONT plug it in i hear VROOSH clash bang fall crack. He plugged in the battery and it went full throttle into the roof. On the fall down it broke my landing gear. BUT on the way up one of the blades hit his finger and he got a good shock out of it that will teach him... SO dont leave your helis around your buddies!
May 04, 2008, 12:07 PM
innocent victim
the struts are on backwards....