SCALE Sailor
Thread OP

More soykills

The forward circles done...

Name: con20190420a.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 1.17 MB
Description:

I moved to the aft circles, cut out waiting to be cleaned up, painted, before getting glued in place.

Name: con20190420b.jpg
Size: 1.36 MB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2019, 11:10 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Looks good, Jerry. The circles really add to the martial aura for a warship.
Apr 21, 2019, 10:17 AM
Per your normal...great work!
Apr 21, 2019, 10:20 AM
nice....wonder how fast it is to re-load that thing in real life......hmmmmm......
Last edited by yancovitch; Apr 22, 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Apr 22, 2019, 08:59 AM
SCALE Sailor
Thread OP
Thanks fellas

The aft circles got done, I need to install a few eyebolts in the deck where tackle hooks in to work the guns.

Name: con20190420b.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 640.1 KB
Description: Name: con20190422a.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 465.3 KB
Description: Name: con20190422b.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 497.3 KB
Description:
Apr 25, 2019, 04:09 PM
SCALE Sailor
Thread OP
Still messing around with tacks and sheets on the main and fore courses.

Since I was directly bracing the tops'l yards, I figured on the tack running to a block on deck, up into the rig and attaching to the yard on the opposite side, which is basically how the bowlines function, but it just wouldn't work, and I'm not at all sure why. While scratching a rut in my head on that, I got the notion to run the main tacks to the deck block, then aft to the main brace blocks on the aft boomkins and then to the main yard. This wasn't a directly braced yard, but while not only serving as the tack, it would also appear and even function as the main brace. I like this idea so much, I'm dead set on getting it to work, which it doesn't, and I've yet to figure out why.

The darker tan lins are the starbord tack/brace, the other tans lines are the port side line. There's another block on deck aft to turn the line inside the bulwark, so there' no friction involved to speak of. Like I said, the servo-run braces only drive the tops'l yards, and the sails pull the other yards along. The tops'l, and (I intend) the courses, will have working bowlines (talked about back in post #808) which will help the sail pull the yards below it along.

Name: main_course.jpg
Size: 121.8 KB
Description:

and just another sexy pose for the fun of it
Name: con20190423f.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 1.04 MB
Description:
Apr 26, 2019, 02:05 PM
Very nice, Jerry! Was just looking at how to do the tacks and sheets (both visually and functionally)on Scorpion's main and fore courses.
Apr 26, 2019, 05:04 PM
SCALE Sailor
Thread OP
I maintain that the tacks are the more important, on a model, because they pull that windward corner of the sail forward when tacking, while the sheets basically just limit how far forward the sail can go. If the lee corner of the sail luffs when close-hauled, it's not as critical as the windward corner getting back-winded and backing the whole sail.
A bentick boom, ie; a yard at the bottom of the sail, or rods in my case; takes care of the issue by holding that corner out as a tack would.
I would really rather have working tacks than bentick booms, but so far it's only giving me headaches.
Apr 27, 2019, 07:56 PM
Hey Jerry, All your work looks great!
A couple of pages late but here is the page where I posted about block making in DanL thread "Design Details for R/C Square Rigger Operating Systems"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Systems/page9
The jig will give you very uniform blocks and goes quite fast.
Apr 27, 2019, 10:11 PM
SCALE Sailor
Thread OP
My block making's been more a problem of material than process. I have a big chunk of cherry around here somewhere I wanna try, I think that'll do the trick nicely, short of getting a mortgage for boxwood.

Bullseyes are the real issue for me, I need a bunch of them and I think Delrin rod is gonna be what I resort to. for that.

Your blocks are really nice, but those are a little modern for Constellation's time. If I ever get to Gazela and I wanna do a skipjack - that style would be perfect - once they're painted .
Apr 28, 2019, 12:06 PM
I think cherry wood would be ideal for your blocks.
Better than boxwood.
May 18, 2019, 05:47 PM
SCALE Sailor
Thread OP
Constellation got her copper wet today at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum's Model Boat Expo
Name: 20190518_143636.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 4.24 MB
Description: In the Miles River, St Michaels, MD

Even Pride did a little free-sailing, for her first time
Name: 20190518_152205.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 4.56 MB
Description: Pride's first sail

Macedonian got to play in the pool as well
Name: 20190518_154116.jpg
Views: 20
Size: 2.84 MB
Description: Macedonian played in the pool too

Name: DSCF0004.JPG
Views: 16
Size: 3.48 MB
Description: Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
Model Boat Expo Name: DSCF0011.JPG
Views: 15
Size: 3.22 MB
Description: My set up
May 20, 2019, 10:05 AM
Wow, your lucky you have something you can go to like that!
I have no clubs/events what so ever near me.
Looks like you had fun.
May 20, 2019, 01:57 PM
A man and his model. "Safe and sound and home again..."
May 21, 2019, 07:59 PM
Macedonian looks SO good!!!!

They all do but boy I love the Lively class. : )

Quick Reply