Jul 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
I never said it was cheating...and properly trimmed, is not the same as using mixes....my planes "are" properly trimmed, I just don't have any mixes set up...

SteveT.
I didn't mean that directed at you, I know you joke around a lot Just hearing it come up though reminded me of the older guys at my field I've heard saying things along those lines, yet they're not flying much more than inverted and a few loops and rolls here and there.

And KE mixes are, in effect, basically trimming the plane for KE. You trim the elevator so the plane doesn't wander up or down. You trim the ailerons so it doesn't roll around. You trim the rudder so it tracks straight. Mixing simply helps keeps it from wandering while in KE. It has essentially the same effect as trimming the surfaces. Instead of all your effort trying to hold a nice clean & low KE pass, now you're trying to do a nice clean & low KE pass with a couple of quick snaps and right back to KE again. It depends on how you want to fly, really.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Went out for a nice sunset flight the other night.

3DHS 51" Slick Sunset Huck (5 min 14 sec)

Also, I just finished building my own LED kit! Didn't want to spend the money on the Aurora kit since I had most of the parts already. It works really well, but it's certainly a little different flying with these kind of lights versus the colored strips. Hard to tell up from down sometimes without giving some elevator input. I may need to add some color somewhere to help with orientation, but so far I like it. It looks awesome at dusk. I'll try to get some video up when I can.
Jul 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
3d NOOBular
Cool lights!
Jul 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk

http://youtu.be/_-vnEM5pKOA
I saw you have blended some precision flights into it, nice flying! Have to try the KE-crankshaft-rolling harriers next time out!
Good to know that you still got 5 mins on 4S 2200 at the way you fly. 3615 is really efficient.
Jul 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
nice lights!

i get 5 min on a Pulse2200 , 3615
Jul 26, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have 2820-750 in my 48" plane, I can feel significant sag in power after 4 mins mark with 4S 2200, Turnigy 40c though.
Jul 26, 2013, 01:15 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Cool lights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall
nice lights!

i get 5 min on a Pulse2200 , 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT
I saw you have blended some precision flights into it, nice flying! Have to try the KE-crankshaft-rolling harriers next time out!
Good to know that you still got 5 mins on 4S 2200 at the way you fly. 3615 is really efficient.
Thanks guys! And yeah, Vince, I've been doing a little more precision lately. Trying to be a little more smooth and keep it clean looking. I like wild 3d, but I like smooth flowing stuff too. Just don't practice it as much.

5:00 is about the max I'll get on a 2200. I've got my timer set at 4:30 & usually have enough power for a pop-top/harrier landing or a few more passes. I'll fly for 5:00 before I come down when I'm using the 2650s.
Jul 26, 2013, 01:36 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
The more 3D flying I do the more it starts to look ridiculous. I keep being sucked into the "hey, its a plane, fly it like one" mentality. I'm doing a lot more (learning) smooth precision type flying now than I did a year ago. To my eye it looks better. Fortunately the Slicks fly both styles really well. There is the added benefit to precision... its less disruptive at the club field.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Thanks guys! And yeah, Vince, I've been doing a little more precision lately. Trying to be a little more smooth and keep it clean looking. I like wild 3d, but I like smooth flowing stuff too. Just don't practice it as much.

5:00 is about the max I'll get on a 2200. I've got my timer set at 4:30 & usually have enough power for a pop-top/harrier landing or a few more passes. I'll fly for 5:00 before I come down when I'm using the 2650s.
same here I set my timer for 430 and land around 5:00. I don't have any sag on that battery tho. can do the same at the 430 mark as when I take off. Pulse seems like a really good battery so far.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee
There is the added benefit to precision... its less disruptive at the club field.
That's very true. I am new to my club and used have other member yelled "shut the darn motor down, get a glider!" while I was bashing stick. But after I started practicing IMAC basic, the flight instructor came over and gave me some pointers. It turned out our club has two sponsored pilots and the flight instructor had won many IMAC competitions in the past. You just never know!
Last edited by Vince_TT; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:20 PM
that sucks if you guys have people yell stuff at you like that, wow. I have a hard time flying in front of people anyways, would make me feel alil weird or something.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:29 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
My club is pretty low key, maybe its the laid back southern California attitude. It's "electric only" and all types of electric flight is fine. When I first joined I was worried I would anger people flying 3D but no one seemed to care. I just have to be responsible and fly 3D when there are minimal aircraft in the air. When there are 3-4 planes in the air even pattern flight is tricky.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:35 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall
that sucks if you guys have people yell stuff at you like that, wow. I have a hard time flying in front of people anyways, would make me feel alil weird or something.
You need to break out of this mentality. Just go out and fly the best you can every time whether people are watching or not! People love to watch good pilots. Everyone likes a show as long as you don't come across as a cocky jerk. Oddly enough, it might make you feel more integrated into the club sooner.
Jul 26, 2013, 02:38 PM
He is a nice guy though after I knew him better. Our club president competes in glider at national level, so many of the members are into glider as well.
When I saw our flight instructor did a routine on his new-to-him Mini Ultra Stick, I knew I have to be very humble. Luckily my 3DHS planes fly so straight so he think I am a better pilot than I actually am!
Jul 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:

http://youtu.be/_-vnEM5pKOA

Also, I just finished building my own LED kit! Didn't want to spend the money on the Aurora kit since I had most of the parts already. It works really well, but it's certainly a little different flying with these kind of lights versus the colored strips. Hard to tell up from down sometimes without giving some elevator input. I may need to add some color somewhere to help with orientation, but so far I like it. It looks awesome at dusk. I'll try to get some video up when I can.
Really nice flying man! You did something that I notice a lot of the great pilots doing - you kept most of your flying symmetrical to the runway. For some reason that does a lot to keep things looking good. I think because it demonstrates that you're in full control and the things you do are intentional as 3D can sometimes look random and without purpose!

Anyway - nice flying for sure! I'm glad you got your Slick back together as it would be a shame for someone with your skills to not have a Slick in their hangar!

Quick Reply