Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by busheadfox

Watts per pound

I was just wondering what the rule was on how many watts per pound a motor needed to supply to give a plane very good vertical or unlimited vertical.
Thanks..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by Mitch G
Well, I have two planes that are just about 100 W/lb and they have what I would call very good vertical, but not unlimited. I'm thinking 120 W/lb is probably the starting point for unlimited.

Mitch
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by ED B
400 watts/Lb makes for an extremely agressive climb rate. My F5B surprise is at the limits of visibility in @ 9-10 seconds. 150-200 watts/Lb will usually give unlimited vertical, just not @ 80 MPH!

Ed
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Andy W
Ah, Ed beat me to it.

You can get unlimited vertical at 50W/lb or less, but only with the right design - many small heli's can do it, for example! There is no guideline for vertical performance, but the *calc programs can help you here. Look for thrust at pitch speed to exceed model weight, and you'll have the performance you're looking for.

..a
Old Jan 15, 2003, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
(stuff deleted) Look for thrust at pitch speed to exceed model weight, and you'll have the performance you're looking for.

..a
And don't forget to make sure pitch speed is a couple times above stall Unless you are making a helicopter.......

Steve
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Andy W
.. oh yeah, that too!
..a